Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Samuelsson on for three goals for?

I don't know other than the second assist on Beecher's goal and being on for Turcotte's goal, highlights are here:

Caulfield's ENG:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Samuelsson on for three goals for?

I don't know other than the second assist on Beecher's goal and being on for Turcotte's goal, highlights are here:

Caulfield's ENG:

I think Samuelsson ends up being an important part of the team. He plays a solid defensive game and can move the puck up the ice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Samuelsson ends up being an important part of the team. He plays a solid defensive game and can move the puck up the ice.

I do too. I think his skating "issues" are overblown because he's out of sight and out of mind. If he is again on the U20 team (like he seems to be angling for as one of two returning 2000's), and is good... watch the rhetoric change.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I do too. I think his skating "issues" are overblown because he's out of sight and out of mind. If he is again on the U20 team (like he seems to be angling for as one of two returning 2000's), and is good... watch the rhetoric change.

People are down on him?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I hope you are right. He was rated highly due to his size, positional play and toughness. Any doubts were about his supposed average skating and lack of offence which have caused me in my own little world to rate him lower than some on our boards.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

He’s paired with Johnson.

I like the...... Cancels him into the boards

It sounds like the polite way of saying, "he gave him the Bieber."

iu

Reactions: joshjull

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

Can we all just admit we're about to be the next TBL with the prospect pool we have on top of the high end talent already on the team?

Not necessarily this coming up season, but the one after...

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm unfortunately aware of how some people feel. Just gotta remind them about Eichel and Dahlin and how past misery doesn't affect the future the way some seem to think it does.
Lots of young talented players in the system and already on the big squad. Sabres will still have to develop well but it's exciting, no doubt. Can't really blame folks at this point for tempering their enthusiasm.

Reactions: Chainshot

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Can we all just admit we're about to be the next TBL with the prospect pool we have on top of the high end talent already on the team?

Not necessarily this coming up season, but the one after...

I think the Tampa comparison is interesting. It's hard to believe, but since 2008-09 when Tampa drafted Stamkos they have not won the Cup. In those 11 seasons since they've missed the playoffs 5 times. Last season they were dominate, but lost in the 1st rd. They probably wouldn't be as dominate if they didn't draft and develop some great players in the 2nd rd and later in the draft.

Since Eichel was drafted 2nd overall in the 2015 draft they have missed the playoffs all 4 seasons. However, we have accumulated some great talent like Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Cozens plus some of our later round picks look to have a promising future like UPL, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, etc.

There are no guarantees, but the Sabres appear to have a great future. However, if they don't sniff a Cup by the 2026-27 season I think we can all agree that the rebuild was a disappointment.

Reactions: Hetfield

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the Tampa comparison is interesting. It's hard to believe, but since 2008-09 when Tampa drafted Stamkos they have not won the Cup. In those 11 seasons since they've missed the playoffs 5 times. Last season they were dominate, but lost in the 1st rd. They probably wouldn't be as dominate if they didn't draft and develop some great players in the 2nd rd and later in the draft.

Since Eichel was drafted 2nd overall in the 2015 draft they have missed the playoffs all 4 seasons. However, we have accumulated some great talent like Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Cozens plus some of our later round picks look to have a promising future like UPL, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, etc.

There are no guarantees, but the Sabres appear to have a great future. However, if they don't sniff a Cup by the 2026-27 season I think we can all agree that the rebuild was a disappointment.

While the Sabres prospect pool is interesting, especially on the blueline with various guys like Samuelsson, they as an organization have not converted mid-to-late round picks into NHLers on the level Tampa does, and it can be argued they are behind in terms of UDFA discovery, signing, and development.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
behind in terms of UDFA discovery, signing, and development.
I would be very interested to see some post-lockout 'hit rate' on undrafted UFAs, what leagues they come from, and which teams are the best at developing them, even if they don't end up on their NHL roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would be very interested to see some post-lockout 'hit rate' on undrafted UFAs, what leagues they come from, and which teams are the best at developing them, even if they don't end up on their NHL roster.

It'd love to see someone do that work too. Johnson and Gourde are key guys for them currently and they have Martel, Barre-Boulet, Abbandonato, and even Conacher in their system. They seem to have a knack for turning up CHL guys as UDFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad