Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I enjoyed following the progress of his night on Twitter.

“He just crushed a guy and the crowd chanted he’s a freshman”

“He just killed a dude”

“They’ve thrown him out of the game”

Well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad
Can't hit no more but don't want to change him great hit, 5 years ago wouldn't have got a penalty

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
That's a big boy hit. We need some big boy hits in Buffalo.
To be fair, we probably see more big hits than most teams in the league from the backend with Risto, McCabe, Bogosian and even Dahlin sometimes. I hope by the time Borgen and Samuelsson make the jump that aspect of their game isn't rendered obsolete given where the league is seemingly trending.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
To be fair, we probably see more big hits than most teams in the league from the backend with Risto, McCabe, Bogosian and even Dahlin sometimes. I hope by the time Borgen and Samuelsson make the jump that aspect of their game isn't rendered obsolete given where the league is seemingly trending.

Yeah, that's fair, but to have a backend full of guys who force opposing forwards to keep their heads up, play a quick, simple move the puck up ice game....that's the dream, man.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Not 100% on Samuelsson but there’s no way Borgen is rendered obsolete with the way he can skate.

Reactions: Rasmi and Chainshot

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
12 points (5 goals, 7 assists) in 26 games for an 18 year old in the NCAA.

Pretty solid for a guy thought to have limited offensive upside.

Jake McCabe posted identical point totals in his first year in the NCAA (3 goals, 9 assists in 26 games).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd like to see the big kid patrolling the NZ in ROC this year.

Getting him a little more expanded role as a sophomore with WMU would suit him well. Attard is committed to the Broncos, so he likely gets Schoenenenemee.... Schueneman's offensive minutes and Cam Lee returns as well.

Throwing him into the pros to me doesn't seem like the best use of his season. If he signs at the end of a strong year? Sure. But he seems like a couple of years off still, shy a bump in his game.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't disagree. I think there's always a question mark signing a college kid early and outside of a monster season. I just think if we're waiting for him to have a monster season, he's not that kind of player (at least as far as stats go).
I don't think we can go wrong here but his size and pedigree leans me towards bigger challenges. Although D is the one area in ROC that seems already solid. We'll see.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Skating is a huge issue for me. I'd like to see him try and improve in that area. He won't be able to catch people in the pros like that with average foot speed, nor would he build confidence to do so if he gets burned once or twice putting himself out of position trying to make that play.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't disagree. I think there's always a question mark signing a college kid early and outside of a monster season. I just think if we're waiting for him to have a monster season, he's not that kind of player (at least as far as stats go).
I don't think we can go wrong here but his size and pedigree leans me towards bigger challenges. Although D is the one area in ROC that seems already solid. We'll see.

It would continue to work to have him on the collegiate schedule, working out in the week and playing on weekends. He's going to be a physical specimen, let him continue that growth at a slower pace rather than the 3-in-3's or 3-in-4's that typify the AHL. He might be ready there, though it would also work to see him building confidence in imposing that size even more against his peers so that it carries over into the pro ranks.

Solid growth could be high teens in points (would love a low 20 point year, but not seeing the finishing talent or PP time to see that happen), keying their top PK and excelling with vital checking assignments would be that.

And there is the aspect of stashing him while they sort out their blueline on the farm and even with the depth on the big club. If he signs late in the year, they likely have to burn a year on the ELC as part of the signing agreement.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Skating is a huge issue for me. I'd like to see him try and improve in that area. He won't be able to catch people in the pros like that with average foot speed, nor would he build confidence to do so if he gets burned once or twice putting himself out of position trying to make that play.
Yeah there's some obvious room for improvement but he seems to be smart about it and you really don't see guys getting behind him because he can play the body so well.
Like Chain mentioned, there's really no urgent need unless coaches feel like his skating could be developed better with their own staff. I haven't noticed much progress over the past season.
Still think it's a coin flip but I see your points.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Wasn't he billed as having plus mobility coming out of the draft? Or am I making that up?

Looking at those videos, he's going to have to clean his game up in the pros or he's going to spend a lot of time suspended.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm curious to see what his role will be on the U20 team this coming year, assuming he makes it again. It's hard to judge since NCHC games were pretty rare to find in my feed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00