Confirmed with Link: Mattias Norlinder signs 3 year ELC (2021-22 to 2023-24)

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
I am intrigued by this guy.

At one end of the spectrum, his talent is obvious based on youtube clips, but then again his production is underwhelming considering his skillset. Even amongst posters, there seem to be a large variation in expectations and ratings.

To poster who have seen him extensively,

Is he a surefire bet or more of a Magnus Nygren type gamble? Can he be effective NHLer even if his offensive talent does not translate into points?

I tend to rate our young Ds in the following order.

1) Romanov
2) Guhle
3) Harris
4) Brooks
5) Struble/Norlinder

I see Norlinder as high risk/high reward but I am not counting him as a surefire prospect.

Am I wrong and if so why?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
We need PMD'S so it's a step in the right direction. We need to sign Harris next year.

Who else do we have in the pipeline that's a PMD?

Ghule isn't the best offensively but skates really well and has a solid first pass. I'm thinking Brodin or Elholm as a likely ceiling. Like if everything goes well a solid 2 who skated well and puts up ~30-35 points.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am intrigued by this guy.

At one end of the spectrum, his talent is obvious based on youtube clips, but then again his production is underwhelming considering his skillset. Even amongst posters, there seem to be a large variation in expectations and ratings.

To poster who have seen him extensively,

Is he a surefire bet or more of a Magnus Nygren type gamble? Can he be effective NHLer even if his offensive talent does not translate into points?

I tend to rate our young Ds in the following order.

1) Romanov
2) Guhle
3) Harris
4) Brooks
5) Struble/Norlinder

I see Norlinder as high risk/high reward but I am not counting him as a surefire prospect.

Am I wrong and if so why?

He's a legit prospect but he is a high risk/high reward type. I think he easily will be an NHLer at some point in the next 2 or so years.

I wouldn't consider his production underwhelming per say as for a 20 year old rookie, he was among the best goal scoring blueliners in the SHL,

Elite Prospects - SHL Stats 2020-2021

His best asset is his shot, and he was 1 goal away from being top 4 among U-21 blueliners while playing between 4 and 15 less games then those in front of him. I watched a lot of Frolunda games, they often struggled to score goals and Norlinder's 2 injuries didn't help matters.

if you add reg season plus playoffs, he's got 8 goals in 44 games which from that list would mean only 1 U-21 player in the SHL would have had more goals then him while still having played the least amount of games from those around him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's a legit prospect but he is a high risk/high reward type. I think he easily will be an NHLer at some point in the next 2 or so years.

I wouldn't consider his production underwhelming per say as for a 20 year old rookie, he was among the best goal scoring blueliners in the SHL,

Elite Prospects - SHL Stats 2020-2021

His best asset is his shot, and he was 1 goal away from being top 4 among U-21 blueliners while playing between 4 and 15 less games then those in front of him. I watched a lot of Frolunda games, they often struggled to score goals and Norlinder's 2 injuries didn't help matters.

if you add reg season plus playoffs, he's got 8 goals in 44 games which from that list would mean only 1 U-21 player in the SHL would have had more goals then him while still having played the least amount of games from those around him.

The kid got an absurd amount of hype from Swedish beat writers primarily (I think). The comparisons were just insane. Hard not to get way too excited for him lol. I think many were expecting more points. I was but I appreciated the context.

He absolutely has the tools to be something special. I'm getting a tiny bit sceptical that he can reach that ceiling but that ceiling is there. Even if he doesn't he could still be a big boost to our blue line. His progression would really have to go sideways for that not to happen imo. Just get stronger, kid.

For the stat watchers (not saying that perjoratively) who haven't seen him play, kid has the best offensive tools of any D we've drafted since PK's. Quibble about who's more skilled but he's definitely in that neighbourhood.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The kid got an absurd amount of hype from Swedish beat writers primarily (I think). The comparisons were just insane. Hard not to get way too excited for him lol. I think many were expecting more points. I was but I appreciated the context.

He absolutely has the tools to be something special. I'm getting a tiny bit sceptical that he can reach that ceiling but that ceiling is there. Even if he doesn't he could still be a big boost to our blue line. His progression would really have to go sideways for that not to happen imo. Just get stronger, kid.

For the stat watchers (not saying that perjoratively) who haven't seen him play, kid has the best offensive tools of any D we've drafted since PK's. Quibble about who's more skilled but he's definitely in that neighbourhood.

for sure he has the tools to be something special but he has holes that also could mean he ends up like all our other Swedish prospects from the last 20 years. He certainly has the best offensive tools of any D we have drafted since Subban. I'm working on my season ending top 25, I think many aren't going to like where I rank Norlinder, as it's going to be very high.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
for sure he has the tools to be something special but he has holes that also could mean he ends up like all our other Swedish prospects from the last 20 years. He certainly has the best offensive tools of any D we have drafted since Subban. I'm working on my season ending top 25, I think many aren't going to like where I rank Norlinder, as it's going to be very high.

he likely has the highest ceiling of all our prospects not on the Habs right now. Definitely the most skilled D prospect. I think Guhle's likely our #1 right now. His ceiling and floor are too high.

Something like this?

1)Guhle
2)Norlinder
3)Poehling
4)Harris

I could see you having Harris ahead of Poehling though.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Hey guys is there anyone in this chat who's followed him regularly? What type of player is he? Strength and weaknesses? Current NHL player who you'd compare him to?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he likely has the highest ceiling of all our prospects not on the Habs right now. Definitely the most skilled D prospect. I think Guhle's likely our #1 right now. His ceiling and floor are too high.

Something like this?

1)Guhle
2)Norlinder
3)Poehling
4)Harris

I could see you having Harris ahead of Poehling though.

I thought I would wait till the playoffs are over to put out the list.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hey guys is there anyone in this chat who's followed him regularly? What type of player is he? Strength and weaknesses? Current NHL player who you'd compare him to?

quick and dirty

strengths:
unreal skating
dynamite hands
fantastic shot

weaknesses:
D needs work
needs to get stronger
stay away from injuries

His first few steps are godly

Reactions: Canadiens98

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

hahaaha. I'm trying to think if i'm missing some other key guys. maybe I just got the order wrong.

I think that might be my top 4. In that order too.

oh I forgot Primeau!!!

1)Guhle
2)Primeau
3)Norlinder
4)Harris
5)Poehling

???

or switch around Primeau and Guhle and I think I got it!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No prob. There are others who can do better. montreal and WTK for sure who watched him pretty closely.
High ceiling but he's no slam dunk. If he can show big improvement off last year then get excited because he could be utter dynamite.

As far as pure upside with Caufield graduated, he's got the highest ceiling in the pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad