Confirmed with Link: Mattias Norlinder signs 3 year ELC (2021-22 to 2023-24)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Great news as I had to laugh at whatever jackass was saying he wouldn't ever come over. So he'll be at the rookie camp, but will train with Frolunda for the preseason since it starts before ours then come to training camp. So first we need to see how the roster shakes out as clearly we have a major need for a PMD and unless Brook has a great off-season, I'd rather see him get more time in Laval. I don't think Fleury is the answer either, he could be a 7th D for us but I would rather see him play since he has not played much the last 2 seasons though waivers are a concern.

If he doesn't make the Habs, Norlinder goes back to Frolunda but will count against the 50 contract limit. Now the Habs recently said and I don't remember who, perhaps Timmins, that they felt they made a mistake in bringing over Collberg for camp and then sending him back as the travel during his SHL club (same one as Norlinder) had already started and so when he was sent back he didn't have a spot and so he didn't play much, spent the year on the 4th line and did not do well and in fact things never went well again for him.

So this is a very curious move, as they didn't have to sign him till June of 2023, they were really tight against the 50 this season so you don't want to just throw away a spot and they said they didn't want to sign a player, bring him over and then send him back after the Euro season started. So I got to think there is a plan that they expect him to make the Habs but if he looks out of place then they will have to send him back and then bring him to Laval either when his season ends in the SHL or for '22-'23.

I'm of course very high on him as I have him as easily one of our top prospects no question. His defense is shaky though as he makes some poor decisions and isn't overly strong. He will take the body but that's not something he's very good at. But man the thought of Norlinder, Caufield, KK/Suzuki on the PP is very exciting as Norlinder can f***ing shoot the puck. Training camp just got way more interesting imo.

His hands, skating and shot are all elite. His skating especially is just unreal. The tools are there.

What do you think about his passing? I remember WTK mentioning a bunch of times that he made great passes that his teammates couldn't convert. Would you rank his passing as highly as his other skills?

He does seem to be making strides with his D which is huge. It seems to be a work in progress and something he's cognizant of. Big thing is getting stronger and hopefully staying away from injuries. The good thing is none of his injuries post-draft have seemed debilitating.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
A couple years away yet. Hopefully he continues to improve and eventually makes it to the big-time

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His hands, skating and shot are all elite. His skating especially is just unreal. The tools are there.

What do you think about his passing? I remember WTK mentioning a bunch of times that he made great passes that his teammates couldn't convert. Would you rank his passing as highly as his other skills?

He does seem to be making strides with his D which is huge. It seems to be a work in progress and something he's cognizant of. Big thing is getting stronger and hopefully staying away from injuries. The good thing is none of his injuries post-draft have seemed debilitating.

passing is good as he has all the offensive tools but will need a lot of help/patience with the defensive play if he were to make the Habs next year. His passing isn't on the same level as his shot imo, as his shot is just deadly.

He has made strides in his D, part of the problem has been staying healthy which has impacted his development. This year he was a top 3 D on a top team in the SHL (in terms of his TOI) but got injured while playing for Team Sweden at Euro Tour (a warm up for the WC's for those that don't follow Euro leagues) and when he came back he got injured again and his team went to shit which is rare for them as they have been one of the top SHL teams year after year lately. They brought in a hired gun to finish out the year as he just announced he's retiring from hockey, so Norlinder lost his spot and dropped down to the 3rd pairing LD (he was playing RD all year before the injury)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is very good news.

Not sure if I agree with Whitesnake that he's our next Lidstrom, but hopefully he comes over and plays above expectations.

I think you've misread me my friend...on the contrary. I think we have way too much expectations. He's not exactly killing it. What we do like though is how agile he is. That's an understatement. But he's still suspect defensively. And the stats aren't exactly staggering. So no, he is NOT a Lidstrom at all.

But I do understand that stats watching is not ideal. His team is not exactly a great offensive team either.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Good news on a gloomy wet Montreal day! Now, lets hear that Evans is alright and that the shitbag is out for the series.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I think you've misread me my friend...on the contrary. I think we have way too much expectations. He's not exactly killing it. What we do like though is how agile he is. That's an understatement. But he's still suspect defensively. And the stats aren't exactly staggering. So no, he is NOT a Lidstrom at all.

But I do understand that stats watching is not ideal. His team is not exactly a great offensive team either.

tumblr_mht21osmaC1s3fqgbo1_400.gif

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If he's not on the squad next year, he will be the year after.

I'm fine with him spending a year in the AHL the year after. Let's let our prospects dominate lower levels before making the big jump.

As they say, you have to learn to walk before you learn to run.

And as they say, no one ever was hurt long term/developmentally by spending too long in the AHL.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
That first Jets goal was basically all his fault ugh

So the team is at 49 contracts now I believe.

For next year? Well officially we are at 29. That's including Fairbrother, Guhle, Mysak, RHP, Schueneman and Norlinder. Guys also included are guys like Brook, Teasdale,Ylonen, Hillis and even Khisamutdinov is included in that 29.

Of course, here are the guys that are without a contract that we will have to add to the list if needed:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
For next year? Well officially we are at 29. That's including Fairbrother, Guhle, Mysak, RHP, Schueneman and Norlinder. Guys also included are guys like Brook, Teasdale,Ylonen, Hillis and even Khisamutdinov is included in that 29.

Of course, here are the guys that are without a contract that we will have to add to the list if needed:
Sorry meant this second which of course will change depending on who is resigned and what not

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
We need PMD'S so it's a step in the right direction. We need to sign Harris next year.

Who else do we have in the pipeline that's a PMD?

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
We need PMD'S so it's a step in the right direction. We need to sign Harris next year.

Who else do we have in the pipeline that's a PMD?

Guhle is not super offensive just yet but the kid is one of the best skating D not in the NHL.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Guhle is not super offensive just yet but the kid is one of the best skating D not in the NHL.

Was just gonna bring up Guhle, while not traditional PMD, he is going to be a HUGE addition to our defense when its time, and easily replaces Chiarot, and hopefully becomes as and as nasty, cant wait for him

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
3 to 4 more years before we see him in the NHL
You know for a fact that he's playing 64 games in the NHL next year all while completely losing sight of the player he can be and entire confidence in his decision making as a human being in the process.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wonder how many times Bettman tried to powerpoint presentation his way into convincing the owners to do the same.

It's one of those rare moments when you can appreciate their obsessive conservatism.
I 100% expect they'll go that way at some point in the not too distant future, TBH. I'm legit surprised it took that long to put ads on the helmets, its easy money and pro leagues are all about that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad