Matthews vs McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
a) so McDavid was hyped more than Eichel except Eichel was hyped just as much as McDavid??? huh????

b) um, ok? Buffalo tanked to be guaranteed, worst case scenario, they got Eichel. The best case scenario was winning the lottery and getting McDavid (the guy who was hyped more).
I don't know how else to say this. In my opinion I think Eichel got a lot more hype than he should have for someone the media and fans knew was going to be picked 2nd overall.

I realize Buffalo would have wanted McDavid instead, however they knew by finishing last place overall they would at worst case get Eichel and I think that's where their fans bought into his hype.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't know how else to say this. In my opinion I think Eichel got a lot more hype than he should have for someone the media and fans knew was going to be picked 2nd overall.

I realize Buffalo would have wanted McDavid instead, however they knew by finishing last place overall they would at worst case get Eichel and I think that's where their fans bought into his hype.

Umm, not from what the Sabres forum was saying. They all wanted McDavid:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1878445&highlight=draft+lottery&page=26

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
McDavid's upside is higher, but people acting like Matthews has no chance of outperforming him over a season are out to lunch.

Matthews certainly has Art Ross/Hart potential.

No and yes. I agree its possible on the 2nd part if everything comes together for Matthews in a season.

I do not agree on the 2nd part. I don't see Matthews winning an Art Ross. He would have to improve his playmaking significantly if he is to have a chance of beating McDavid for the scoring championship if both play a full season. If he doesn't to use an example. He'd have to score 61 goals just to match McDavid's 100 point season this year. This is highly unlikely.

McDavid has too much going for him to not be the scoring champ for the majority of years this upcoming decade. The only thing that will prevent him from this is injuries.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if Matthews playmaking skills will improve significantly when Hyman isn't saddled on his wing. Probably not though, I mean Hyman is third behind McDavid and Matthews in high danger chances so I can't see the leafs finding a better fit than him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
As usual, looking at the minority and not the majority :laugh: There was like 3 people who thought that. Rest all wanted McDavid.

Well then I guess you lied by saying "they ALL wanted McDavid"
Seriously though read it again. The problem is rewarding your franchise for their incompetence as much as it is missing out on McDavid, if not moreso

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Silly thread that's gone on too long. Matthews is not as good as McDavid and that's clear. It's equally silly for Oilers fans (and the usual band of Leaf haters) to have already boxed Matthews in to a certain mould and to suggest he is near his potential. He's a phenomenal playmaker with excellent vision. His most common linemate was Zach Hyman, a rookie who should be spending his career on the fourth line. All of his other linemates were rookies, and for the first half of the season Babcock refused it play Nylander with him on the road. He still scored 40 and put up 70 points as a rookie. That's insane.

It will only be fair to say he's "not even close" to McDavid when he's put in his sophomore year and we have a more direct comparison. I don't think anyone will be saying he's be better than McDavid after that, but it's pretty clear he's a remarkable player with potential to be the second best player in the league for years to come and brings a ton of unique value that McDavid doesn't offer. Playing in traffic is an immensely valuable skill in the playoffs, and it's his specialty. Won't be surprised to see him haul in a Conn Smythe down the road.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
McDavid will definitely lead the charge as the elite talent going into the future. McDavid is a fantastic talent as well, but just a step below McDavid at this point.

Leafer34

Jan 9, 2017
Matthews had 5 primary points in 6 gp, McDavid had 1 in 6 WCH they
Were on the same team

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Its pretty simple then, stop being so insecure about your player and trying to put a label on him that just doesn't fit. Be happy with the talented player you have. :handclap:

Are you even reading the post or are and trying to twist to your liking, again? I said over and over AM34 has the tools to be better than mcdavid.

The one thing that not many are bringing up is the much more extreme pressure AM34 will have playing in the hockey mecca known as Toronto. He however can handle it.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
I tend to agree that the Generation tag gets thrown around a lot, and McDavid fits the bill as a generational talent.

But people outside of Leafs Nation call Matthews a Generational Talent as well, Barry Trotz for example being one of them.

How many 19 year-old centers with Matthews strength and poise do you see, add the 40 goal season and that is once a generation in that context. The last teen center to score 40 was Eric Lindros.

Marc Crawford was another and likely several other guys around the NHL. I think that Auston and Connor can become generational but like iv'e stated, they need to earn it by proving it for several years. You can label someone as generational but what happens if that player gets a serious injury or just regresses and never puts up generational numbers again, are they still generational? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad