Matthews vs McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafer34

Jan 9, 2017
"McDavid is farrr better" sure
I'm just wondering, how?

Matthews was #3 in turnover plus minus behind Stone and Bergeron (he gave the puck away less) than McDavid. Better defensively???

Matthews is bigger and stronger on the puck than McDavid, better board play?

Everybody agrees Matthews has a better shot, McDavid himself said it.

McDavid to me is a faster Marner (Thats amazing)

I'm not trying to say "Whos better " but just how?

IMO flash is easy to confuse with effectivness

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
"Confusing flash for effectiveness" is what happened with Eichel vs. Matthews. Matthews is a better hockey player than Eichel.

However, McDavid is quite clearly better than Matthews overall.

Move on.

theblackadder

Dec 27, 2016
I'm just wondering, how?

Matthews was #3 in turnover plus minus behind Stone and Bergeron (he gave the puck away less) than McDavid. Better defensively???

McDavid had more assists than Matthews had points.

Leafer34

Jan 9, 2017
"Confusing flash for effectiveness" is what happened with Eichel vs. Matthews. Matthews is a better hockey player than Eichel.

However, McDavid is quite clearly better than Matthews overall.

Move on.
care to say how

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid is one of the smartest players in the league and thats with and without the puck, McDavid is one of the best players in the league with the puck on his stick.

Those are 2 major reasons hes so much better than Matthews and 99% of the league. Its the reason he had more assists than Matthews had points

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It's quite easily Mcdavid>>>>>>Eichel>Matthews

yep. enough already Leaf fans. we get it. you're excited with Matthews. best player you've had in decades, but your nonstop hyping of him is getting way out of hand. you're turning Matthews into the most overrated player in the league now. yes, he's good and will have a great career. but he is not the best player in the world. not even close. and if McDavid isn't already that right now, he most likely will be next year.

please stop the overhyping. it's getting way out of control. next thing we're gonna see is Leaf fans comparing Matthews to Gretzky. McDavid is clearly better. it's not a debate. just stop.

Leafer34

Jan 9, 2017
McDavid is one of the smartest players in the league and thats with and without the puck, McDavid is one of the best players in the league with the puck on his stick.

Those are 2 major reasons hes so much better than Matthews and 99% of the league. Its the reason he had more assists than Matthews had points
Cool smarter than Datsyuk was?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm just wondering, how?

Or McDavid had the puck so much he could even lose it a lot and still outscore Matthews with just his assists

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
McDavid has all the tools that are harder to acquire

Skating is the rarest and hardest skill to acquire. McDavid takes the cake on this one without a doubt

Stickhandling is the next hottest commodity. You can make a case for either one but McDavid can do what Matthews does at a higher speed

Shooting is the easiest of the three major tangible skills to acquire. Matthews has this one. But McDavid doesn't even have a great shot and still scored 30+ goals this year, which shows how sometimes a lethal shot can be uncorrelated to high goal scoring totals if you can compensate in other areas. So yes Matthews is better at shooting, but it doesn't translate to ridiculously higher goal totals even if Matthews is a bigger threat to score from far out.

The intangibles like two way play and positioning are in Matthews favour, but these skills can be easily acquired.

So McDavid is superior because his skills are in higher demand. I have seen many players who can shoot, defend and stickhandle like Matthews but you very, very, very rarely see a guy who can skate and skate with the puck like McDavid

Secondly, McDavid can easily acquire these skills after some practice. Shooting is much easier to develop than skating and two way play is just a bit of watching video and being more conscious in your own zone. If he can match Matthews in Matthews' strong points, McDavid will be the LeBron James of hockey

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Has there ever been a more overrated 69 point player in the NHL?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
McDavid > Matthews.
Can't leaf fans enjoy their great talent in Matthews who's gonna be elite for years to come without comparing him to McDavid all the time. Good grief.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
People try and come up with 10 tools or skills and then rank which player is better at each one and then add up how much are in their players favour and try to compare overall from there. Its so totally wrong

Yes Matthews has a slightly better shot. But McDavid is much smarter and better with puck on and off his stick than Matthews and almost every player in the league for that matter. And that is the reason he is so much better. Dont just think "oh well McDavid is smarter, Matthews has a better wrister so they even out". No. Just no. When you are smarter you impact the game is vastly more ways than having just a better shot

Matthews is tremendous and will be for a long time. But just dont try and compare to McDavid who is several tiers above him. Its like comparing phones. Yes your Motor Razor has a better keyboard and lighter than a Samsung S8, but the processing power of the S8 just blows the RZR out of the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad