Matthews vs Gilmour

Who would you pick

• Prime Gilmour

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Gilmour at his best was a 127 point selke winner who also put up 35 points in 21 playoff games all lin one season. Matthews is a great player but it's hard to pass that up

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Gilmour at his best was a 127 point selke winner who also put up 35 points in 21 playoff games all lin one season. Matthews is a great player but it's hard to pass that up
When Gilmour hit those numbers he was tied for 7th in points. I want to vote for him, but have to go with Matthews.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Peak is likely Matthews but so far he came close to that level for a single year, Fedorov vibes but obviously not as accomplished and "no show" in the playoffs.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I'd take Fedorov over Gilmour as well.

So would I but I mean't more so that he get's massively overrated based on one year, something that is currently happening with Matthews unless he can be anywhere close to that level again.

(Problem with Fedorov is people lumping him together with way superior players like Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman.)

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm surprised at vote but would love a breakdown of whose voting for each. I'd bet most everyone under 30 voting Matthews everyone above Gilmour. One thing no one ever questioned was Gilmour's heart can't say same about Matthews.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
So would I but I mean't more so that he get's massively overrated based on one year, something that is currently happening with Matthews unless he can be anywhere close to that level again.
To be fair, Gilmour's numbers outside of the 127 point season weren't exceptional. Like Fedorov, he hit 100 points twice in slightly less than 20 years in the league. And I'd say the same about Forsberg: not in the Sakic or Yzerman tier.

I'm surprised at vote but would love a breakdown of whose voting for each. I'd bet most everyone under 30 voting Matthews everyone above Gilmour. One thing no one ever questioned was Gilmour's heart can't say same about Matthews.
I saw Gilmour enough, being on the wrong side of 40. Great player, just never thought he was the best or even fifth best player in the league.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Matthews will end up with the better prime and career in my opinion - but for peak Gilmour is kind of insane.

If I were to rank the top 100 players in history - Gilmour isn't one of them.
If I were to rank the top 2 consecutive peak seasons - including playoffs - in history, Gilmour is....top 25? Maybe higher? He has an insane stretch between 92-93/93-94 season+playoff combo.

I voted Matthews because I assume this poll is about the long run, and I think prime Matthews + career is surpassing Gilmour. But for that 2 year peak - Gilmour is hard to beat.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Gilmour, fairly easily. Matthews is only better in theory, not in real life.

Areas where Matthews beats out Gilmour, which are skating, size and goal scoring, he only really uses one of them (goal scoring) to his advantage anyways, and mostly in a more cozy environment (regular season).

Put a decent goal scorer on Gilmour's wing and that element is nullified to Matthews' disadvantage.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Gilmour, fairly easily. Matthews is only better in theory, not in real life.

Areas where Matthews beats out Gilmour, which are skating, size and goal scoring, he only really uses one of them (goal scoring) to his advantage anyways, and mostly in a more cozy environment (regular season).

Put a decent goal scorer on Gilmour's wing and that element is nullified to Matthews' disadvantage.
"Gilmour and another good player is better than just Matthews"

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have a lot of favourite Doug Gilmour moments, goal in the Stanley Cup final for Calgary, goal in the Canada Cup, scoring the tying goal in game 7 against Detroit with 2 mins left, his OT goal against Joseph, stetting up Wendel Clark in game 6 against LA in the Conference finals in the last min. And this one. Tacking Stu Grimson, one of the most feared players in the NHL at that time when he went nuts in a game. The guy was fearless. Heart of a Lion. Can't see Matthews doing this ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad