Matthews Vs Dahlin Vs Pettersson

Which player do you take going forward?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When you look at league scoring, Pettersson's rookie year isn't even close to Matthews'.

Dahlin's doing pretty good on the offensive side of things, so I can see why he's getting votes in here. But Matthews is just so much better than Pettersson it's not even funny, we got Barzal 2.0 in the making here.
How’s the fishing going. Getting a few bites I see.:laugh:

Reactions: Rasmi

Mar 26, 2010
When you look at league scoring, Pettersson's rookie year isn't even close to Matthews'.

Dahlin's doing pretty good on the offensive side of things, so I can see why he's getting votes in here. But Matthews is just so much better than Pettersson it's not even funny, we got Barzal 2.0 in the making here.
Matthews scored 40 goals as a 19 yo rookie. Pettersson has 27 and looks done for the season (1 goal in the last month). Matthews is also way bigger and stronger, and the superior goal scorer by a huge margin. Pettersson was way overhyped.

Dahlin >>> Pettersson

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I do like what the Dahlin is doing at 18 in a difficult league for defense to develop.
It's hard to deny he is pretty amazing. So long as no one is calling him Bobby Orr or handing him the Norris this year I think we can all agree he lived up to most of the sane hype.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
You’re comparing Barzal’s d+2 season playing behind Tavares to Pettersson d+1 season splitting top minutes with Horvat.
they are comparing rookie seasons. I never said Barzal will be better than Pettersson at their peak. And to be fair many of you are comparing Pettersson's D+1 season to Matthews true rookie season coming out of the draft. Not sure why you haven't pointed that out to the other posters but chose to point that out on this post. Is there a reason why?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
they are comparing rookie seasons. I never said Barzal will be better than Pettersson at their peak. And to be fair many of you are comparing Pettersson's D+1 season to Matthews true rookie season coming out of the draft. Not sure why you haven't pointed that out to the other posters but chose to point that out on this post. Is there a reason why?

You are missing the point. An extra year of development before entering the NHL is huge. Compare Pettersson’s next season with Barzal’s rookie season if you want an accurate comparison.

And many of us are comparing Pettersson’s rookie season to Matthews’ sophomore season since they’re the same age. They’re remarkably close.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Matthews scored 40 goals as a 19 yo rookie. Pettersson has 27 and looks done for the season (1 goal in the last month). Matthews is also way bigger and stronger, and the superior goal scorer by a huge margin. Pettersson was way overhyped.

Pettersson has 8 points in his 8 last games, how is he done for the season? :huh:

Currently pacing to outscore Matthews's rookie season in 12 less games on a lower scoring team.

Reactions: JFG

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Pettersson has 8 points in his 8 last games, how is he done for the season? :huh:

Currently pacing to outscore Matthews's rookie season in 12 less games on a lower scoring team.
You don't have any idea how to adjust for league scoring, do you?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

Pettersson is like 33rd in the league in points/gp and 36th in goals/gp so far this season. In Matthews rookie season he was 31st in points/gp and 4th in goals/gp

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Pettersson is like 33rd in the league in points/gp and 36th in goals/gp so far this season. In Matthews rookie season he was 31st in points/gp and 4th in goals/gp

I'm not arguing Matthews isn't the better goal scorer, but EP is probably the better point producer considering the Leafs scored 0.34 more goals per game back then. Point per game ranks for players don't say as much as the total production of their surroundings.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
You are missing the point. An extra year of development before entering the NHL is huge. Compare Pettersson’s next season with Barzal’s rookie season if you want an accurate comparison.

And many of us are comparing Pettersson’s rookie season to Matthews’ sophomore season since they’re the same age. They’re remarkably close.
Thats what I'm saying, you called out my post but didn't call out any of the posts comparing petterssons stats to matthews rookie season. Seemed weird. If you look at my earliest post I said that Pettersson should be compared to matthews 2nd season and that their stats were very close, hence why Matthews shouldn't be rated so much higher than EP. And my original post was just refuting the guys point where he said EP's season this year is more impressive than Barzal's rookie year, the numbers indicated otherwise. I'm well aware barzal was in his D+2

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Mar 26, 2010

How is he doing? Not scoring 40 goals in his rookie season as a 19 yo, this is for sure. Also not going to the playoffs.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
How is he doing? Not scoring 40 goals in his rookie season as a 19 yo, this is for sure. Also not going to the playoffs.
That poster you quoted is replying to your previous statement which was false.

Also, I don't think you comprehend the concept that individuals don't take teams to the playoffs, it's a collective.

Reactions: JFG

Mar 26, 2010
That poster you quoted is replying to your previous statement which was false.

Also, I don't think you comprehend the concept that individuals don't take teams to the playoffs, it's a collective.
Funny, Toronto has not missed the playoffs since they drafted Auston Matthews. Before Matthews, yeah...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad