Matthews Vs Dahlin Vs Pettersson

Which player do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
lmfao.

Matthews carried his team to the playoffs and was 2nd in the league in goals in his rookie year.

Pettersson will be hard pressed to ever reach Matthews' level in his rookie year.

Garbage post.

Matthews carried his team to the playoffs? So Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Andersen were chop liver?

Pettersson has already bested Matthews rookie level season with you know being PPG and is only six points behind while playing sixteen less games. Let that sink in for you. and... Accompanied with the fact that Matthews played for a better team surrounded with better support.

EP>Matthews rookie season wise.

EP> Matthews moving forward.

Deal with it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Garbage post.

Matthews carried his team to the playoffs? So Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Andersen were chop liver?

Pettersson has already bested Matthews rookie level season with you know being PPG and is only six points behind while playing sixteen less games. Let that sink in for you. and... Accompanied with the fact that Matthews played for a better team surrounded with better support.

Deal with it.
Nope. Pettersson is 32nd in points per game as a D+2 player, Matthews was 28th as a D+1 rookie, and 21st as a D+2 player. You have to take into account that scoring is up. I wouldn't say EP can never be better, but I don't think he is now

Reactions: Mitchy

member 147413

It depends which Matthews you get. He’s looked very streaky this year.

Absolutely unstoppable for a stretch of games, then invisible for a stretch.

Dahlin and Petterson also have similar consistency issues, but a ton of talent.

It’s a tough choice and you could spin it any way, you get an incredible player no matter what.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This is possibly the dumbest crap I've read on here.

1) Blaming the player for getting injured
2) The fact that Matthews got injured in the 2 subsequent years.

Be ashamed for writing this post.

Nah.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You're trying to argue my projection of his ceiling with an arbitrary 82 game sample size that is nearly identical?

If he could ever stay healthy, be less prone to streaky/disinterested play and improve his decidedly average playmaking skills, I'd project him higher. This season hasn't inspired a lot of confidence considering he routinely plays against 2nd pairing defenseman while Marner/Tavares take on the toughest assignments.

What a reach :laugh: he’s on a pace for over 90 points at 21 years old and that’s his ceiling?

The injury argument is valid but it’s also valid against Petterson too as he’s projecting to battle injuries even more. Matthews didn’t miss a game his rookie year.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Dahlin.

The only types of forwards I take over him(and when I say this I mean generational sure bet best player types from day 1, don't get your nickers in a not) are the McDavids, Crosby's, Lemieux's, etc.

I also have a bias towards exceptional to generational defenseman tho so...

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Matthews
Dahlin
Pettersson

Barzal 2.0 won't crack 60 points next year, not to mention he's just awful defensively.
This might be the worst post I seen in a long time.
What kind of take is this?
Did you just say EP40 is awful defensively?, His defensive game is better than his offensive game, as a rookie.

That's how good he is, yikes

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
One guy has done it, the other 2 have not.
Pettersson is producing at the same rate as matthews was last year, except Petterrson plays with a worse team. None of these guys have done anything yet, were still waiting for Matthews to break that elusive 70 point milestone so he will finally be worth that monster contract.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Maybe because the fact that Barzal had Tavares as support and mainly played on the second line, while EP is on the top line on a team devoid of talent and is at PPG. Should be fairly obvious who is having the better rookie season.
Boeser is good.
Horvat faces the tough matchups
EP is at an unsustainable shooting percentage. I like him but Barzal had a more impressive rookie season

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Garbage post.

Deal with it.
pettersson entered the league a year after his draft, you would have to compare him to Matthews 2nd year would you not? In that case its pretty comparable

DR P00P

Feb 28, 2019
Hahahahaha! The Envy against Leafs is amazing on this site! Dahlin having more votes than Magnificent Lmfao! Oh dear

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Pettersson is producing at the same rate as matthews was last year, except Petterrson plays with a worse team. None of these guys have done anything yet, were still waiting for Matthews to break that elusive 70 point milestone so he will finally be worth that monster contract.

Yeah, he won't get 3 more pts...

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Limited for Perrersson and Dahlin yes. Not even a full nhl season.

But Matthews, 40 goal Calder winner at 19 years old.

Matthews AINEC here

EP is the only one with a track record of elevating his game in playoffs while Matthews hides…. Dahlin still for me

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Boeser is good.
EP is at an unsustainable shooting percentage. I like him but Barzal had a more impressive rookie season

Read mine and nowhereman's following statements as we explain why EP has the more impressive rookie season than Barzal's.

I agree with what you said on post #111

Nope. Pettersson is 32nd in points per game as a D+2 player, Matthews was 28th as a D+1 rookie, and 21st as a D+2 player. You have to take into account that scoring is up. I wouldn't say EP can never be better, but I don't think he is now

Even if you want to argue that, it doesn't change the fact that Matthews has been put in a better position to succeed in the form of having better support. While scoring increase argument is valid, the fact is EP's production is a lot higher than Matthews rookie season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Matthews AINEC here

When you look at league scoring, Pettersson's rookie year isn't even close to Matthews'.

Dahlin's doing pretty good on the offensive side of things, so I can see why he's getting votes in here. But Matthews is just so much better than Pettersson it's not even funny, we got Barzal 2.0 in the making here.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Matthews AINEC here

The logic is that Dahlin already looks like a top pairing dman and will play in all scenarios and maybe contend for the Norris for a long time. He’s already made Buffalo significantly better.

Pettersson is matching Matthews’ 2nd season on arguably a worse roster. I prefer his potential based on his high hockey IQ.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Boeser is good.

You’re comparing Barzal’s d+2 season playing behind Tavares to Pettersson d+1 season splitting top minutes with Horvat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad