Injury Report: Matthews to miss first 3 games of the season

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
aug 13th to the 4th game of the regular season, 4 days short of 10 mweeks, my bad....

I guess yeah. I would have called it 9 weeks but either way going 3 weeks over on a 6 week minimum (key word minimum) recovery time isn't out of the ordinary at all.

Atleast it looks like he can shoot pucks decently in practice.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The fact that he's taking this week off and will be targeting a Monday return is reassuring. It's not like our next game next week is into Wednesday and he needs the additional week.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The fact that he's taking this week off and will be targeting a Monday return is reassuring. It's not like our next game next week is into Wednesday and he needs the additional week.

The fact we play Montreal, Ottawa, Ottawa has to also play a part in this decision as would short term IR where it requires you to miss 3 games to use it.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
No doubt about the fact that Matthews is brittle. He needs those wrists to fire his shots. This is the 3rd time he has missed multiple games. Big trouble for the Leafs and maybe a career.

Reactions: Devonator

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Why would you say that’s good news? I mean it isn’t overly concerning, but good seems ridiculous. Hopefully it’s 5 games I’ll be ecstatic, is that how it works?
Ya, I don't think you can take the only 3-day game statement to the bank just yet.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I get allowing the injury to heal, using surgery as a last option but the situation seems poorly managed to me.
They should have planned the timing of it all better so he would be available for game 1.
The body doesn’t heal according to the NHL schedule and no doctor is going to make recommendations that sacrifice a players long term health to get them ready for day 1 of the NHL season.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The body doesn’t heal according to the NHL schedule and no doctor is going to make recommendations that sacrifice a players long term health to get them ready for day 1 of the NHL season.

The offseason for him also didn't start until June. 10-12 weeks for physical therapy eats up a lot of time too.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
No doubt about the fact that Matthews is brittle. He needs those wrists to fire his shots. This is the 3rd time he has missed multiple games. Big trouble for the Leafs and maybe a career.[/QUO

He has missed 34 games in 5 years. Hardly brittle.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The first 2 weeks of a season are usually such a goal scoring festival with Auston Matthews at the center of everything. Things are so quiet around the team without him.

Reactions: ponder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad