Injury Report: Matthews to miss first 3 games of the season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cant he go retroactive on ltir?

LTIR (long term IR) would mean he would have to miss 10 games or a month's time minimum, so that would never happen.

Leafs can put him on short term IR and he will be forced to miss 3 games (which is the case) as a result, but the Leafs can replace him with a healthy body while he is out.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hard to say without knowing what the team plan was. Maybe they decided on rest and other methods first with surgery as a last resort if the other measures didn’t work.
I'm just glad they gave it that extra 7 days to see whether it would miraculously heal.

Either way, there's legitimate reasons to criticize Kyle, this isn't one of them.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
They are the Toronto Maple Leafs they could have easily gotten him the surgery sooner and he'd be healed up by now

Well doctors wanted to heal it without surgery, which is always the right solutions if it isn't 100% sure that you need one. In long run it's better, which is only to approach Matthews health. These three games aren't that important in that sense if you put it against Matthews overall health.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Would rather him at 100% for the rest of the year than 85%. First 3 games dont matter its against a depleted Montreal and Ottawa teams.

I really dont think its discomfort in the wrist, its probably confidence in it. A mental thing.

He will be back better than ever.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This team has enough talent to win without him, let him rest and recover. It's not about individual awards, although hes probably still the favorite for the Rocket. We play Montreal who lost a LOT this off-season. No Price, Danault, Weber, Perry, Staal, Kotkaniemi. We should destroy them especially after how our season ended, no doubt the boys come out with a complete effort. Then 2 games vs Ottawa. They are going to be tough, they remind me of the 2016-17 Leafs team. Lots of young talent, rising team with a shit ton of heart. Don't take them lightly. We should win all 3 even without Matthews. Most important thing is to have him back at 100%.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I get allowing the injury to heal, using surgery as a last option but the situation seems poorly managed to me.
They should have planned the timing of it all better so he would be available for game 1.

Reactions: Racer88 and egd27

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
LTIR (long term IR) would mean he would have to miss 10 games or a month's time minimum, so that would never happen.

Leafs can put him on short term IR and he will be forced to miss 3 games (which is the case) as a result, but the Leafs can replace him with a healthy body while he is out.

I believe it's 10 games or 24 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not a huge deal, but I do think our medical staff f***ed up here. The cutoff for the non-surgical option should’ve been “enough time for his wrist to fully heal, with a comfortable buffer.” Instead of waiting until August 13th, it should’ve been more “if by early/mid-July we aren’t confident the non-surgical option will work, we operate.”

They went too far down the non-surgical road when it wasn’t going to work, now he’s missing games unnecessarily AND recovering under pressure. Like instead of having ample time to really, really recover to 100% in the off-season, he’s now missing games and under pressure to come back at 90%. IMO that’s the bigger issue - it’s much, much easier to say “let’s take it slow” in the off-season than when missing games, there’s no way the pressure isn’t clouding everyone’s judgement. They could have just left enough time for that to be a total non-issue, where he would’ve legit been 100% before the season started, or really, ideally before training camp started.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not a huge deal, but I do think our medical staff f***ed up here. The cutoff for the non-surgical option should’ve been “enough time for his wrist to fully heal, with a comfortable buffer.” Instead of waiting until August 13th, it should’ve been more “if by early/mid-July we aren’t confident the non-surgical option will work, we operate.”

They went too far down the non-surgical road when it wasn’t going to work, now he’s missing games unnecessarily AND recovering under pressure. Like instead of having ample time to really, really recover to 100% in the off-season, he’s now missing games and under pressure to come back at 90%. IMO that’s the bigger issue - there’s so much more pressure now, it’s going to cloud everyone’s decision making, when they could have just left enough time for that to be a total non-issue, where he would’ve legit been 100% before the season started. Or really, ideally before training camp started.

Iirc the wrist started bothering him when he starting ramping up his offseason workouts.

Reactions: Sypher04

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Iirc the wrist started bothering him when he starting ramping up his offseason workouts.
While true, I think it misses the point. There was a good chance this injury requires surgery. Working backwards you could say “training camp starts Sept 23rd, recovery from surgery takes 6-8 weeks. So we need to collect enough info about whether or not the non-surgical opinion is going to work by the end of June.” Waiting to stress test the wrist until roughly the start of August means there wasn’t enough time for the surgical option. He’s now missed training camp, missing games, and under pressure to return before he’s truly 100%, when this could have all been avoided with better planning.

Reactions: Korg and ACC1224

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Even the leafs can't control medical timelines. Sometimes there are complicating factors. Truthfully, none of us know the details.

Just hope Matthews can play most of the season this year. It's not this injury that worries me but the pattern of not playing full seasons or seeming to have the ability. It's a huge risk when a player eats up as much cap as Matthews.

Reactions: deprw

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
They are the Toronto Maple Leafs they could have easily gotten him the surgery sooner and he'd be healed up by now

That is such an arrogant statement. The Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the worst run franchises over the last 55 years. No franchise has ever done less with more than this franchise and you are acting like they are somebody. With that said keeping Matthews out until he ready is 100% the way to go with this and it always is better to see if a non surgery recovery is possible.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That is such an arrogant statement. The Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the worst run franchises over the last 55 years. No franchise has ever done less with more than this franchise and you are acting like they are somebody. With that said keeping Matthews out until he ready is 100% the way to go with this and it always is better to see if a non surgery recovery is possible.

I believe the user would be referring to MLSE's considerable financial resources to provide medical treatment for its players.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I believe the user would be referring to MLSE's considerable financial resources to provide medical treatment for its players.

That exactly is my point. There is a human level when it comes to medicine and rehab. It isn’t just about finances. Saying that the doctors that the Leafs have suck at their job is both naive and arrogant.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This is starting g off poorly. Ideally he could have been healed after 6 weeks. Now it will be at least 10. I'm not optimistic, that this injury doesn't hamper him all season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He would be 100% by now if they had done the surgery 2 weeks, maybe even a week eariler

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is starting g off poorly. Ideally he could have been healed after 6 weeks. Now it will be at least 10. I'm not optimistic, that this injury doesn't hamper him all season.
Atleast 10? I think your math is a little off bud.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That exactly is my point. There is a human level when it comes to medicine and rehab. It isn’t just about finances. Saying that the doctors that the Leafs have suck at their job is both naive and arrogant.

I don’t really get what you’re trying to say to be honest. The Leafs are losers on the ice so to suggest they have access to first rate medical resources is arrogant. Yet don’t question their doctors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad