Matthews' release on the shot

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I’m showing pride that he’s an American. How the hell is that insecure? Wtf

Nevermind me quoting you, with an excuse like that you have to be legit.

For real though, you feel pride for players you dont know, playing in different countries on teams you dont follow because you share the same citizenship with them?

I feel no sense of pride whatsoever about a good player being Canadian. Is that just me, do any you other canucks get filled with pride knowing McDavid or Crosby is a Canadian?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nevermind me quoting you, with an excuse like that you have to be legit.

For real though, you feel pride for players you dont know, playing in different countries on teams you dont follow because you share the same citizenship with them?

I feel no sense of pride whatsoever about a good player being Canadian. Is that just me, do any you other canucks get filled with pride knowing McDavid or Crosby is a Canadian?

As an American who loves hockey, absolutely. Maybe it’s different because Canada has always dominated hockey. I’m an islanders fan and I’ve stated many times on here how much I love the NHL having American stars like Matthews Kane and Gudreau. I highly doubt I’m alone on these sentiments.

Especially during the Olympics.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Is it true that he had personal trainers as an young teen who helped develop his skills?

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
He's the best at changing the angle of his shot as he releases the puck. I've never quite seen anything like it before and apparently, goalies haven't either lol. Very hard to read where the puck is going.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
He's the best at changing the angle of his shot as he releases the puck. I've never quite seen anything like it before and apparently, goalies haven't either lol. Very hard to read where the puck is going.

As a defenseman with the relative skating skills of Luc Robitaille I'm not an authority on good wrist shots. However, I do know that what he is doing is almost physically impossible. When I'm in close and try roof the puck, I know pretty much a half of a second ahead of time where I'm going with the puck.

Matthews seems to be able to pick his intended target during the action of the shot, which must require tremendous wrist strength and mental concentration. I just wonder how much he can improve his shot, he's still learning at his age. That's a scary thought for goaltenders.

Reactions: zeke

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
As a defenseman with the relative skating skills of Luc Robitaille I'm not an authority on good wrist shots. However, I do know that what he is doing is almost physically impossible. When I'm in close and try roof the puck, I know pretty much a half of a second ahead of time where I'm going with the puck.

Matthews seems to be able to pick his intended target during the action of the shot, which must require tremendous wrist strength and mental concentration. I just wonder how much he can improve his shot, he's still learning at his age. That's a scary thought for goaltenders.

That's precisely the reason why a lot of us (Leafs fans that is) aren't kidding when we say he has 100+ point potential. The dude decided to change his release and it got better over a simple summer while also getting faster that summer. Players already bounce off of him when he decides to use his strength. Given injuries and saddling with a guy like Hyman, he didn't have the blazing start a guy like Malkin had in his career, but I'm fairly confident to say he'll have a few 100 point seasons. He has that "who the hell can stop him" vibe when he's on his game.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
that shot looks just normal, not like you score 5 off 5 or anything similar with that..

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
His and Laine's shot will change how kids will view shooting.

The way Matthews shoots is a technique that has been getting used more and more. Sticks that have toe curves allow the shooter to put a lot of weight into the toe since your pulling it into your body which makes the shaft flex a bit easier. Matthews and Laine have it perfected. Scott Bjugstad has many videos explaining the benefits of that technique.

Reactions: Rogue Winger

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He has the best release I've ever seen in my life amongst the players I've watched regularly. Obviously using a 400 gram stick makes a difference, but that's as good as it gets.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2