Matthews' release on the shot

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I can't recall anyone who had a release quite like his, maybe Heatley? The distance he moves the puck across his body via the toe drag and how much he gets on the shot in such a short amount of time is unparalleled. Pulls the stick way in to his feet and body.

Here's a clip of some of those curl and drag shots. Slowed the one vs Ottawa down and it really does the ToeDrag and how much distance the puck moves, justice. DiDomenico is still looking like 5 feet the other way where the puck was.

Goalies can't read the release especially when it's dragged around a defenseman. Sucks he got hurt or he would have gotten 50 this year.

Reactions: zeke and Sk8M8

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
It's one thing to have a quick release, but Matthews is accurate too. That's a lethal combination.

You’re posting on a website full of people who don’t understand the game enough to appreciate his shot.

I wish I understood that wrist shot, it's simply filthy. I did have a decent slap shot, but most defensemen eventually learn the proper technique. It helps to be Zdeno Chara's size.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Those two are my faves hes scored. just a perfect shot and satisfying ping. Hes all about deception and changing the angle so hard for the goalie to read, plus the accuracy and power makes him so deadly.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
there was a good interview with his trainer about how he completely changed his shot mechanics over the summer. apparently he's not happy with his goal production so far in his career, and wants to see how good he can get

Didn't he say he wanted more assists than goals?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Surprised his shot is as hard/powerful as it is considering he uses a shorter stick. Definitely helps with the accuracy along with the curl and drag though.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Surprised his shot is as hard/powerful as it is considering he uses a shorter stick. Definitely helps with the accuracy along with the curl and drag though.
He's gives a little to get a lot Imo.
He has a shorter stick but it allows him to be much better at stick handling and puck contol.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Among the best in the league no doubt. The release, the accuracy and the different positions he can shoot in from makes his shot one of the best in the league

Reactions: 1OApick

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I can't recall anyone who had a release quite like his, maybe Heatley? The distance he moves the puck across his body via the toe drag and how much he gets on the shot in such a short amount of time is unparalleled. Pulls the stick way in to his feet and body.

Here's a clip of some of those curl and drag shots. Slowed the one vs Ottawa down and it really does the ToeDrag and how much distance the puck moves, justice. DiDomenico is still looking like 5 feet the other way where the puck was.

Goalies can't read the release especially when it's dragged around a defenseman. Sucks he got hurt or he would have gotten 50 this year.

Gotta admit the second clip is actually ridiculous the way he releases. Very unique shot Matthews has indeed. He doesn't even fully toe-drag, he releases the shot mid-way through his toe-drag which fools lots of people. No snap in his shot like Laine

Mar 26, 2010
Hope he can keep it up regardless of his bum shoulder.
Bum shoulder? He has a soft tissue injury that did not require surgery. Toronto is obviously being very cautious with their superstar #1 C.
Matthews will be more than ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad