Matthews' release on the shot

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The only thing McDavid has on Matthews is his end to end speed. Matthews has the better shot and IMO the rest of their games is comparable. I guess I still have to give McDavid the edge, but I don't rule out Matthews proving to be Connor's equal in time. It's a possibility at least, IMO.

I love that kid. Amazing, amazing talent. Generational.

Also, 10 years at 130 million IMO.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The only thing McDavid has on Matthews is his end to end speed. Matthews has the better shot and IMO the rest of their games is comparable. I guess I still have to give McDavid the edge, but I don't rule out Matthews proving to be Connor's equal in time. It's a possibility at least, IMO.

Playmaking ability?

Reactions: mantha39 and 7even

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm no expert, so take this with a grain. I don't think what he does is unique, but how he puts it together is. Dragging the puck to the change the angle is pretty a standard MO for NHL players, especially when combined with a snapshot, but others tend to do it with their off foot like Phil Kessel to generate that quickness in their release.

But Matthews, he transfers his weight like a wristshot onto his orthodox foot, but instead takes a snapshot. This allows him to drop more of his weight onto the stick to flex it and generate power. Again, other player do this, too, but I don't think it's that common. I think its more common to snap it like Kessel does, and that helps with the deceptiveness of the shot. And when it's all combined, the quickness, accuracy, and velocity generated, it's crazy good.

I think it helps that he uses, I believe, an 80flex which is pretty whippy for his size, which helps him in getting that shot off quick.

The NHL has a video of him demonstrating his shot and talking about it. It's pretty interesting, especially if you're like me, and are constantly working on your game.

Reactions: zeke

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His shot is one of those things that makes you wonder. Same with Laine's or McDavid's skating. They're so elite that they should probably be put in another tier.

I think in the pre-draft they had Laine's shot ranked 6/5 but Matthews makes a case for that too. Laine's 1-time ability is stupidly good but Matthews release is very deceptive and hard to pick up for a goalie.

I don't think this is so much a thread about Leafs as it is just appreciating some of the crazy talent we're seeing enter the league.

How can anyone not be impressed by it? Laine's 1-timers are crazy. McDavid's speed (and hands) are something out of a video game.

Reactions: 1OApick

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Looking like Matthews is a 50 goal player which is bad news for the rest of the Eastern Conference. Toronto has a 1 - 2 center punch that is only paralleled by Pittsburgh and maybe Washington. The shot is something else, it's what elevates him to elite imo. 2 way center that scores 5o goals is going to demand a lot of money of course. I have no idea how Toronto navigates their cap going forward.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

McDavid has both the speed of an F-22 and hands that are capable of keeping up with his legs. It's an insane combination and what makes him such a unique and dominant player. Add in his passing and you have the best player on the planet. Matthews has a much different skillset, namely his release, his ability to shoot from his feet, his ability to play the puck with his feet, and in-tight handling. McDavid breaks the game, Matthews just out-plays you.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
McDavid has both the speed of an F-22 and hands that are capable of keeping up with his legs. It's an insane combination and what makes him such a unique and dominant player. Add in his passing and you have the best player on the planet. Matthews has a much different skillset, namely his release, his ability to shoot from his feet, his ability to play the puck with his feet, and in-tight handling. McDavid breaks the game, Matthews just out-plays you.

I agree they have slightly different skill-sets, but to me the major difference is McDavid's speed edge. That said, I still think Matthews has a chance to be just as good, producing similar numbers.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
The mechanics of the release are very similar to Kessel. Kessel doesn't use the toe drag however they both like to keep the bottom hand forward ahead of the top hand before releasing. Creates a lot more whip and helps elevate the puck quicker. Very awkward to do but is something that if practiced enough can become muscle memory.

Last edited:

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I have no idea how he gets some much power on his shot, when he’s releasing it around his feet. One time my entire beer league team spent a day just trying it, and we all ended up looking like idiots lol

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Brett Hull used to pull the puck in towards his body and change the angle before releasing it. It’s a unique shot and deadly too

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
So you've studied releases of all players of all time extensively? Who are the other 9 players in the top 10?

Ovi
Crpsby
Kessel
Stamkos
Kucherov
Seguin
Benn
Laine
Kane

Not in any particular order

Edit you were referring to all time... cant remember past the 90s

Ad