News Article: Matthews ready to be captain

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Far to many on here are saying it is Mathews team. He has not shown that it is. Taking a discount on a 8 year deal would show that it is his team. Thus far he has not shown anything to that would lead me to think it is his team. A rift or disagreement between and Babcock seems like there are things needed to be worked out. Let’s see what happens in the next 12 months before declaring the Leafs are Mathews team. Maybe it is Marners team a name no one has mentioned but should. He certainly earns consideration based on his play in the playoffs and from Jan onwards as it was his team then.
Was this Matthews' team last playoffs when he had 5 points in 6 games? Does the captaincy change every year based on how well the players do?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
When he shows that it is his team perhaps. Tell me what has he done to deserve the honour?

Guys like Nylander and Marner can do what they do because everything is always focused on Matthews. On the ice and off of it.

That's the power of a franchise center.

Just my two-cents.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Auston is "Da Man" and the likely captain, but JT addition does cloud this situation a little making it a 2 horse race as possibilities.

I's still go Matthews, knowing Johnny likely would understand he is late to the party here and so more willing to let things unfold as originally planed.

Matthews "C" , Tavares "A", Rielly "A" going forward.

Reactions: ToMaLe and Nick034

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Guys like Nylander and Marner can do what they do because everything is always focused on Matthews. On the ice and off of it.

That's the power of a franchise center.

Just my two-cents.
Sure so he should expedite a contract. It isn't a mystery what the range is. Agree to a team favorable deal and we are off to the races

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Was this Matthews' team last playoffs when he had 5 points in 6 games? Does the captaincy change every year based on how well the players do?
Not at all but thus far I have not seen anything to suggest that he is leading this team. He disappeared during the recent playoffs and has an issue with the coach. Nothing thus far has suggested to me Captain. Marner carried the team down the stretch last year and in the playoffs and was the main reason why the series went 7 games. That is what I want from a captain.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i dont want rielly anywhere near the captaincy. defensemen have enough pressure on them day in and day out without the added responsabilty of that captain title. i love rielly but i just want him focus on playing his best and nothing more. i felt that phaneuf played his best hockey here before he was named captain and i believe the added pressure of it effected his game.

matthews/marner/JT for me, any of those guys is a great choice.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Auston is "Da Man" and the likely captain, but JT addition does cloud this situation a little making it a 2 horse race as possibilities.

I's still go Matthews, knowing Johnny likely would understand he is late to the party here and so more willing to let things unfold as originally planed.

Matthews "C" , Tavares "A", Rielly "A" going forward.
I dont always agree with you, but in this case I do. Its about how I would of worded it also.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
did it ever occur to anyone that no one on the team really gives a **** who's captain and what they say about it being up to management to make that call is true?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
i dont want rielly anywhere near the captaincy. defensemen have enough pressure on them day in and day out without the added responsabilty of that captain title. i love rielly but i just want him focus on playing his best and nothing more. i felt that phaneuf played his best hockey here before he was named captain and i believe the added pressure of it effected his game.

matthews/marner/JT for me, any of those guys is a great choice.
Didn’t Phaneuf play like what, 7 games before being named captain?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Maybe I’m looking into this too much, but it seems like Matthews isn’t all that eager to be Captain... I think a player should WANT the captaincy... ‘if they ask, sure... okay’.

For context, here's a short transcript of Auston when asked about captaincy.. so basically if it happens, cool.. and if not life will go on:

fq1GS9B.png

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
For context, here's a short transcript of Auston when asked about captaincy.. so basically if it happens, cool.. and if not life will go on:

fq1GS9B.png

I read the the quotes... sounds unsure to me... Tavares is saying he will accept captaincy, but he’s not really saying he WANTS it... which makes sense... he is still just 20 years old...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Interesting thing that was pointed out to me. When they signed Tavares, he was NOT wearing a leaf sweater. One possible explanation is that they plan on making him captain (possibly as part of getting him to sign). If so, they might not want to reveal that until closer to the season start, and want the 'C' on his sweater the first time it's seen.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Man the TO media are an absolute joke about this Captaincy, Tim and Sid going on about how this could become a massive deal. Ppppllleeeaaaazzzeee.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
C - Auston Matthews
A - John Tavares
A - Morgan Rielly

Alternative options: Marleau, Kadri

Also OP you add a poll

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Flame away but I'd want Hyman to get an A.
Legit real gud pro.

Ya I think this is a good call.

Can you only have 2 As if there is a captain? If so maybe he is first fill-in to wear a letter if someone goes down to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad