News Article: Matthews ready to be captain

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tavares should be captain. Matthews doesn't need the added pressure on his shoulders. At his age, his focus should be on continuing his development as an elite young player in the league.

Tavares is currently more suited to that role based on his background and experience. Matthews should wear the A for now and assume the mantle in due course when he's ready.

Reactions: dsred and PuckMagi

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great read and a bit of insight into the mind of AM.

I get the significance of the C. Often you see teams being forced into naming a young, star player a captain too soon, or if you're lucky you'll witness a team stupid enough to give their goalie a "C" :sarcasm:

The Leafs are set-up with solid personnel throughout that can pose to be potential options to wear that letter NOW if they absolutely need one - which hasn't seemed to be the case for a while.

IF, and when they feel AM is ready - whenever that may be (tomorrow, 1 yr, 3-5 yrs) he'll get to wear the "C".

If they give it to Marleau/Rielly/Kadri now, that doesn't eliminate Matthews from obtaining the captaincy in the future. Nothing is set in stone.

Mar 26, 2010
It is the inevitable that one of Matthews or Taveres will be the Captain. Just give it to one of them before the season starts.

If Matthews is willing to sign his 8 year extension now before this season starts, give him the C.

Matthews - C
Tavares - A
Rielly - A

Reactions: dirty stanchion

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
i think you do one more season of no captain, and if he performs this season in the playoffs, regardless of team success, you name matthews captain 10 months from now.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I to would let this season play out without naming a captain, lets see who emerges as the leader at the end of the season, Tavares or Auston.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I could get behind Matthews and Tavares co-captains a la Chris Drury / Danny Brière circa 2006.

I mean we have 2 elite centers. We have 2 #1 lines. 2 captains - do it up.

Right? Its different, this whole shanny era has been outside the box. Aparantly its a bad idea. It def spreads the blame around and ina market like ours where we tend to focus on the cpt its much harder to crucify two guys on one cross

Reactions: Marshy

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
You want your captain to embody your franchise. Matthews is everything I want in my captain. Your captain doesn't have to be your best player but it wouldn't hurt either; and Matthews IS our best player.

Matthews has a real chance of being a top 5 player in the entire NHL in the very near future. Tavares is still in his prime for another few years; but Matthews is literally just entering his and he will be here for the next 15 years.

When we drafted Matthews; that was one of the biggest turning points in our franchise. Without Matthews; does Tavares even sign? Matthews has been her longer; he's good with media; no reason not to select him as captian imo.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Just a letter. Everyone is a leader and a 'captain' in there own right and way. Leading by example, demonstrating work ethic, being disciplined and demonstrating the values and meaning of being a Toronto Maple Leaf.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think by the end of this season there will be 3 viable candidates in Rielly, Tavares and Matthews.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Matthews had a good point too when people bring up that he's never been a captain before. He's always been pretty much the youngest guy on all the teams he's been on. He can still lead in those situations just like he probably does now.

I think he's the type of player that thrives for that challenge. Maybe next year but I think Matthews is captain material for sure.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Matthews should be captain. No offence to Johnny T but Matthews is the franchise and the guy you're hoping will be here for the next 10+ years. Sign him to his 8 year extension and announce he is the captain at the same time. That's what I would do. Tavares and Rielly can wear A's

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be surprised if they announce one for this year anyways.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Do teams ever let the players decide captaincy by a nomination and vote process?

The Habs did with Patches/Subban, and it created a huge issue in the room because it split it in half.

I'd much rather coach/management steps in and calls the shot. The choices are pretty clear between Matthews/Rielly/Tavares anyway.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The Habs did with Patches/Subban, and it created a huge issue in the room because it split it in half.

I'd much rather coach/management steps in and calls the shot. The choices are pretty clear between Matthews/Rielly/Tavares anyway.
I bet the rift was there beforehand, thinking it just escalated the issues.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Coach generally selects the Captain and I can not see Mathews getting the C early this year and not before he signs a 8 year deal then he may get to wear the C. Tavares seems to me a more natural born leader and a more likely Babcock choice. Rielly maybe the best choice if only to put an end to any potential conflict between the two centres.

Should be interesting but at a bare minimum it needs to be addressed coming out of camp. The leafs either need to announce a captain or announce that they will not have one this season.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Coach generally selects the Captain and I can not see Mathews getting the C early this year and not before he signs a 8 year deal then he may get to wear the C. Tavares seems to me a more natural born leader and a more likely Babcock choice. Rielly maybe the best choice if only to put an end to any potential conflict between the two centres.

Should be interesting but at a bare minimum it needs to be addressed coming out of camp. The leafs either need to announce a captain or announce that they will not have one this season.

Didn't they do that already?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'd have absolutely no problems with Tavares getting the 'C'. But to me I think it has to go to Matthews. This is his team and he's the franchise player, so I'd like to see him get the captaincy and grow into the role over the years.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
When they sign Tavaris. They will need to do so coming out of camp and be definitive when they do so. Saying no captain for this season or name one and be done with it.
For sure, 100%

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Far to many on here are saying it is Mathews team. He has not shown that it is. Taking a discount on a 8 year deal would show that it is his team. Thus far he has not shown anything to that would lead me to think it is his team. A rift or disagreement between and Babcock seems like there are things needed to be worked out. Let’s see what happens in the next 12 months before declaring the Leafs are Mathews team. Maybe it is Marners team a name no one has mentioned but should. He certainly earns consideration based on his play in the playoffs and from Jan onwards as it was his team then.

Reactions: egd27

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Far to many on here are saying it is Mathews team. He has not shown that it is. Taking a discount on a 8 year deal would show that it is his team. Thus far he has not shown anything to that would lead me to think it is his team. A rift or disagreement between and Babcock seems like there are things needed to be worked out. Let’s see what happens in the next 12 months before declaring the Leafs are Mathews team. Maybe it is Marners team a name no one has mentioned but should. He certainly earns consideration based on his play in the playoffs and from Jan onwards as it was his team then.

Nah dude, it's 100% Matthews' team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad