News Article: Matthews ready to be captain

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I think id run matthews wears the C on the road with rielly and tavares wesring the A and tavares wears it ar home ( media at home) and Matthews rielly A.

Do that for this season and when he signs his extension persent him with a home jersey and away jerzey with the C on it.

Reactions: Snip Genos

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think id run matthews wears the C on the road with rielly and tavares wesring the A and tavares wears it ar home ( media at home) and Matthews rielly A.

Do that for this season and when he signs his extension persent him with a home jersey and away jerzey with the C on it.
That's a terrible idea.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would expect it to be either Tavares or Matthews (with the other getting an A). Just a matter of when. Can't go wrong either way, in my view.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
That's a terrible idea.

Really why? I dunno i thought it was decent. Maybe it is terrible. Im wondering what happens if we win the cup with no captainz surely we would want a czptain for the photo op after 51 years we finally lift a cup and we have no captain? Whoever lifts the cup from bettman that pic will be immortal

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You give Matthews the C. Tavares is already locked up for the next 7 years. Nothing says good faith and take a discount like giving him the captaincy.

That being said I don’t care who is captain I just hope they decide because whoever it is will be my next jersey selection (as long as it’s Matthews or Tavares)

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Do teams ever let the players decide captaincy by a nomination and vote process?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I could get behind Matthews and Tavares co-captains a la Chris Drury / Danny Brière circa 2006.

I mean we have 2 elite centers. We have 2 #1 lines. 2 captains - do it up.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah that one is odd.
Why dont we start having different captains for different jerseys as well?
We can rotate each player as captain all throughout the season. They should get about 3 games a piece if my math is any good (which it isn't). 4 games for the best players. It's really the only fair solution to this dilemma.

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
After Matthews gets captaincy I look forward to the main boards telling us that giving Matthews captaincy was a horrible decision and it's going to ruin his career with the monumental pressure.
I especially enjoy the "Signing Tavares will piss off Matthews and cause him to not play well/go elsewhere" narrative.. it's like they havent paid attention to the guy. He has such a small ego for his level of talent it's really rare.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs rebuild story is basically the Auston Matthews story. It's basically what happens when a moribund franchise is supercharged by a franchise player. He gets the captaincy eventually. It's not a question for me. Tavares' homecoming is amazing, but he's more of in a Marian Hossa role.

Reactions: Brown Dog and Pinto

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I especially enjoy the "Signing Tavares will piss off Matthews and cause him to not play well/go elsewhere" narrative.. it's like they havent paid attention to the guy. He has such a small ego for his level of talent it's really rare.

Exactly. His only ego is in wanting to be the best and win. Tavares is going to hover around 40 goals and 85 points with Marner. Matthews is going to work hard af to make sure he keeps pace. There is no narrative except that we have two top-10 players pushing each other to legendary status.

Reactions: The Rat King

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Typical let's try to stir up some controversy effort.

Best solution for the captaincy: don't have one any longer. It's just used as fodder for the media leeches to criticize a star player.

Reactions: coupe93 and Jozay

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Do teams ever let the players decide captaincy by a nomination and vote process?

I wouldn't be surprised, but I also assume that players already know who the leaders in the dressing room are, one of them getting a letter sewn on his sweater shouldn't change much except decide who the media bothers after every game.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A mothersuckers who treally wanted that spot and honor, would say like: "It would be the dream of a lifetime of being a maple leaf captain." "it's not my decision though." And all. Tavares is the biggest maple leaf fan so we might go with him. He one of the better players in the nhl and still a fan like us is. Just like us is. So it remains to be seen y'all. Bank on that there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad