Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
I was annoyed in the Quinn Era when Sundin would be played sparingly compared to other 1C, why is it the Leafs that always put the brakes on their best players.

Gimme the Pat Burns approach of playing Dougie 50 minutes a night, he did set the single season franchise record and lead the playoff in points just Gretzky cheated to eliminate the Leafs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
According to NHL.com, Matthews is 14th in ES TOI and 55th in ES TOI per game.

I'm on NHL.com and I see Matthews at 198th in the NHL with 15:14 5 on 5 ES per game (though this includes dmen).

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why would you include defensemen when you are comparing forwards?​

There are 55 forwards ahead of him too.

I'm just trying to explain to you that you're not looking at the correct stat.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Dude should be banking 85%+ of the PPs and the rest ES to get him up to AT LEAST 21 minutes a game.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
ES TOI is what I am looking at. I suppose that's not exactly 5 on 5, but how much 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 is there?

Gotcha.

Even strength total ice time is the incorrect stat to use, because as has been mentioned, AM has played more games than almost anyone else.

In even strength time/game, he ranks at 56.

A top-5 forward in the game who is just entering his prime and who doesn't kill penalties is ranked 56th in even strength time per game. That's the problem.

Reactions: IPS and Walshy7

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Gotcha.

Even strength total ice time is the incorrect stat to use, because as has been mentioned, AM has played more games than almost anyone else.

Please read posts more carefully. I posted both total and average, since such a small sample size likely has irregularities.

In even strength time/game, he ranks at 56.

He ranked 55th when I posted it a few hours ago. Looks like 1 player jumped ahead with tonight's games.

A top-5 forward in the game who is just entering his prime and who doesn't kill penalties is ranked 56th in even strength time per game. That's the problem.

Matthews is in a pretty unique position where he losses ice time to another 1st line center on his team.

I think spreading the ice time around in the regular season is the smart thing to do. Game 7, play him till his legs fall off, yeah, but regular season, nah.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was annoyed in the Quinn Era when Sundin would be played sparingly compared to other 1C, why is it the Leafs that always put the brakes on their best players.

Gimme the Pat Burns approach of playing Dougie 50 minutes a night, he did set the single season franchise record and lead the playoff in points just Gretzky cheated to eliminate the Leafs.

But the fact that Sundin was used judiciously meant that he stayed healthy year to year and was our franchise player for 14 years, whereas Gilmour was pretty much burned out as a franchise player after 2 playoff runs...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Please read posts more carefully. I posted both total and average, since such a small sample size likely has irregularities.

He ranked 55th when I posted it a few hours ago. Looks like 1 player jumped ahead with tonight's games.

Matthews is in a pretty unique position where he losses ice time to another 1st line center on his team.

I think spreading the ice time around in the regular season is the smart thing to do. Game 7, play him till his legs fall off, yeah, but regular season, nah.

absolutely no reason that JT and AM can’t be double shifted when we need goals. There is a million ways to use a bench and Matthews and Marner already switch wings on the powerplay so telling kappy to sit while Matthews takes his spot is a nonissue if you are a good coach. The same goes for Johnsson on the left side when you want JT on with Willy and AM.

Kappy and Johnsson slide right in with Kerfoot for a energy shift right after that. Then back to the combos i listed above. The fourth line has no business on the ice when you are down a goal. Play the hell out if your elite players and hammer opponents shift after shift.

the stars love that. What do i know but it seems like a option we’ll never see with Babcock. Thats wrong that he is a hinderance to options. I’m sick to death of Babcock. I seen enough.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
absolutely no reason that JT and AM can’t be double shifted when we need goals. There is a million ways to use a bench and Matthews and Marner already switch wings on the powerplay so telling kappy to sit while Matthews takes his spot is a nonissue if you are a good coach. The same goes for Johnsson on the left side when you want JT on with Willy and AM.

Kappy and Johnsson slide right in with Kerfoot for a energy shift right after that. Then back to the combos i listed above. The fourth line has no business on the ice when you are down a goal. Play the hell out if your elite players and hammer opponents shift after shift.

the stars love that. What do i know but it seems like a option we’ll never see with Babcock. Thats wrong that he is a hinderance to options. I’m sick to death of Babcock. I seen enough.

I don't disagree that Babcock does some weird stuff. I just think it's best to discuss the actual fact instead of making up stuff. Matthews being outside the top 50 in ES ice time is a decent discussion, but him being outside the top 100 is just fake and not even worth talking about.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's interesting, how did you pull the ES TOI / GP on the NHL site? On Natural Stattrick it's straight forward. 5v5 is different from ES and maybe makes a bit of a difference given sample size but that seems significant.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't disagree that Babcock does some weird stuff. I just think it's best to discuss the actual fact instead of making up stuff. Matthews being outside the top 50 in ES ice time is a decent discussion, but him being outside the top 100 is just fake and not even worth talking about.

A lot of people use Natural Stattrick (including media), so I'm not sure how it's fake news.

Reactions: stopclickbait

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

He's 58th on natural statrick if you look at even strength TOI / gp.

So the difference is even strength vs 5 v 5.

Ergo, not Fake News. The title says 5 vs 5, not even strength. Let me know if you can pull up the NHL 5 v 5 numbers.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad