Matthews ranks 101st among forwards in 5v5 ice time per game

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If the idea is conserve him for the playoffs, then I'm fine with it. It's really the not biggest issue.

If you look at the way Datsyuk was used by him, only once did average over 21 minutes per game. The rest is between 19-20 minutes and that's with penalty killing as well which Matthews doesn't do.
He conserves him in the playoffs too!!!

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If the idea is conserve him for the playoffs, then I'm fine with it. It's really the not biggest issue.

If you look at the way Datsyuk was used by him, only once did average over 21 minutes per game. The rest is between 19-20 minutes and that's with penalty killing as well which Matthews doesn't do.

We already know that he doesn't do anything differently in the playoffs. In game 7, he was conserving Matthews for golfing in the off season.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It's comical at this point. You look at a game like last night where Marner looked off balance all night, and the line as a whole was getting burned yet Matthews still plays less.

Where’s the media? The media would be completely justified in asking questions about this stuff. They did in the Ron Wilson era. They did the same with Randy. They cower beneath Mike Babcock and his massive ego. It’s pathetic.

He got absolutely embarrassed last night and got blown out at home after criticizing Cooper for loading the lines (ironically something leaf fans have been asking him to do for years). Instead of stories about why Spezza was scratched for the home opener (no one cares), the media should be jumping on the story of Babcock getting absolutely roasted and humiliated by Jon Cooper.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's comical at this point. You look at a game like last night where Marner looked off balance all night, and the line as a whole was getting burned yet Matthews still plays less.

I think the Babcock stans are now saying:

Marner is struggling, so Babcock is giving him more ice time so he can find his game again.

Interestingly, when Nylander was struggling last season and he got low minutes, the logic was that Nylander doesn't deserve more ice time because he is struggling.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Where’s the media? The media would be completely justified in asking questions about this stuff. They did in the Ron Wilson era. They did the same with Randy. They cower beneath Mike Babcock and his massive ego. It’s pathetic.

He got absolutely embarrassed last night and got blown out at home after criticizing Cooper for loading the lines (ironically something leaf fans have been asking him to do for years). Instead of stories about why Spezza was scratched for the home opener (no one cares), the media should be jumping on the story of Babcock getting absolutely roasted and humiliated.
It's amazing people actually want the media to jump on anyone in the organization. What good has ever come of it? And if they ask the question (again) do you expect anything other than a templated answer about Matthews okay well with the minutes he has?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It's amazing people actually want the media to jump on anyone in the organization. What good has ever come of it? And if they ask the question (again) do you expect anything other than a templated answer about Matthews okay well with the minutes he has?

Media pressure helped get rid of Wilson, Randy, Kessel, and Phaneuf. You could argue that the media helped usher in an era of prosperity and assisted in forging the most talented team of my lifetime.

I am not a fan of Toronto media. I only ask that they criticize people when it is warranted. Not for no particular reason, which is where the issues arise.

Don’t expect them to get a straight answer from Egocock himself, but I’d love for them to ask him over and over until he gets pissed off. He’s way too comfortable here for the production (or lack there of) he’s facilitated.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Media pressure helped get rid of Wilson, Randy, Kessel, and Phaneuf. You could argue that the media helped usher in an era of prosperity and assisted in forging the most talented team of my lifetime.
Poor results got rid of Wilson and Carlyle. Hell, the firings didn't exactly spark the team either. Phaneuf wasn't moved due to pressure nor was Kessel

Fan/media pressure has certainly led to some of the worst moves in our history though.

I am not a fan of Toronto media. I only ask that they criticize people when it is warranted. Not for no particular reason, which is where the issues arise.

Don’t expect them to get a straight answer from Egocock himself, but I’d love for them to ask him over and over until he gets pissed off. He’s way too comfortable here for the production (or lack there of) he’s facilitated.
So for spite? Doesn't seem logical. Ask the question if you want, but I wouldn't expect an answer. Seems like it's be worth their time to focus on questions they can get an answer to.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Poor results got rid of Wilson and Carlyle. Hell, the firings didn't exactly spark the team either. Phaneuf wasn't moved due to pressure nor was Kessel

Fan/media pressure has certainly led to some of the worst moves in our history though.

So for spite? Doesn't seem logical. Ask the question if you want, but I wouldn't expect an answer. Seems like it's be worth their time to focus on questions they can get an answer to.

What’s your solution? I’m genuinely curious.

My perspective is that this is the most talented Leafs team of my lifetime. The team has the talent to easily compete for a Cup. That being said, because of objectively terrible coaching decisions (player usage, ice time allocation, defensive structure, etc.) we are being held back. Further, these issues are nothing new and have consistently been around for several years with no change or adjustments. The roster has changed, the problems have not. No lessons are learned from our failures; so, whats the point in failing? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, yet no change... what are we really talking about here?

Reactions: Kurtz and Hustlr

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Management trying to make sure Matthews contract isn’t too high

Oh wait.....

:sarcasm:

I'm still in disbelief that people actually thought (still think) that artificially suppressing a player's production will lead to a cheaper contract. May be one of the stupidest theories I've ever read on this board.

I get a kick out of this one because it was one of the very first defenses that got spewed for Babcock's horrific player deployment.

Not only did it not lead to cheaper contracts, we paid more for our RFA's than any other team in the league.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What’s your solution? I’m genuinely curious.
I don't have a "solution" to getting Babcock fired. My thought is he's on his last straw and results will decide his future. Last thing I want is a pushy media dictating decisions again. That hasn't ended well for us.

My perspective is that this is the most talented Leafs team of my lifetime. The team has the talent to easily compete for a Cup. That being said, because of objectively terrible coaching decisions (player usage, ice time allocation, defensive structure, etc.) we are being held back. Further, these issues are nothing new and have consistently been around for several years with no change or adjustments. The roster has changed, the problems have not. No lessons are learned from our failures; so, whats the point in failing? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, yet no change... what are we really talking about here?
This is a team with skill and issues. Babcock has his warts, so does Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Fred, etc... Im fine with Babs getting axed, but this team isn't simply a coaching change away from a cup. This team needs to learn how to put in a consistent effort

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I don't have a "solution" to getting Babcock fired. My thought is he's on his last straw and results will decide his future. Last thing I want is a pushy media dictating decisions again. That hasn't ended well for us.

This is a team with skill and issues. Babcock has his warts, so does Marner, Matthews, Rielly, Fred, etc... Im fine with Babs getting axed, but this team isn't simply a coaching change away from a cup. This team needs to learn how to put in a consistent effort

You don’t think the same can be said for any other roster in the league? No core group of players is perfect, but we have one of the most talented groups in the league and should’ve had a considerable amount of success to this point. Look at the Jackets and Islanders. What is our excuse? Don’t point fingers at Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and Andersen when they are undeniably more talented than anyone on those rosters. If Babcock can’t get this team to be consistent enough to achieve any semblance of playoff success then bring in someone that will. Agreed? Perhaps someone that has some self awareness and learns from their mistakes.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Trots turned a basement dweller into a playoff team and invigorated a whole teams culture into destroying us with their star center newly signed.
I disagree. This team is bleeding from the ears from hearing babcocks crappy logic

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You don’t think the same can be said for any other roster in the league? No core group of players is perfect, but we have one of the most talented groups in the league and should’ve had a considerable amount of success to this point. Look at the Jackets and Islanders. What is our excuse? Don’t point fingers at Matthews, Marner, Rielly, and Andersen when they are undeniably more talented than anyone on those rosters. If Babcock can’t get this team to be consistent enough to achieve any semblance of playoff success then bring in someone that will. Agreed? Perhaps someone that has some self awareness and learns from their mistakes.
Seems like you want a scapegoat. All of those players I listed had a hand in that last playoff loss, some more than others. I don't care if they replace Babcock, I just think you're nuts for wanting the media to influence decisions on this team.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Looking at those stats just makes me even angrier than I already am with this coach.

He is an arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic, megalomaniac that is incapable of adapting to the needs to the team or the way of the league. Over the past few years this organization has basically changed out everything from the lower ranking scouts through the ranks of trainers, affiliate coaching, our entire roster and all the way right to the president. Babcock was brought in to be the man that put it all together and as it turns out most people including myself were blinded to how poor of a decision that was. Even after a %40 roster swap from this time last season we are still suffering from the same problems which at times are masked by the sheer talent we throw on the ice. But my god does he get out-coached on a weekly basis, makes insane remarks and his player management is atrocious. He has no legitimate answer for anything and insists of deflecting blame onto anybody else that is available.

It seriously is a struggle sometimes for me to want to watch the best lineup on paper I have ever seen as a 40 year leaf fan, and suffering watching it roadblocked at every turn starting with his decisions.

We have the highest paid front 2 lines in the league and one of the top 2-3 forwards in the league who is out there playing 101st ranked 5v5 minutes and 46th ranked PP minutes per game.

Im just beside myself about this all.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Seems like you want a scapegoat. All of those players I listed had a hand in that last playoff loss, some more than others. I don't care if they replace Babcock, I just think you're nuts for wanting the media to influence decisions on this team.

Seems like you haven’t read anything I’ve said, too bad. All I’m calling for is valid criticism. I’ll stop wasting my time.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Looking at those stats just makes me even angrier than I already am with this coach.

He is an arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic, megalomaniac that is incapable of adapting to the needs to the team or the way of the league. Over the past few years this organization has basically changed out everything from the lower ranking scouts through the ranks of trainers, affiliate coaching, our entire roster and all the way right to the president. Babcock was brought in to be the man that put it all together and as it turns out most people including myself were blinded to how poor of a decision that was. Even after a %40 roster swap from this time last season we are still suffering from the same problems which at times are masked by the sheer talent we throw on the ice. But my god does he get out-coached on a weekly basis, makes insane remarks and his player management is atrocious. He has no legitimate answer for anything and insists of deflecting blame onto anybody else that is available.

It seriously is a struggle sometimes for me to want to watch the best lineup on paper I have ever seen as a 40 year leaf fan, and suffering watching it roadblocked at every turn starting with his decisions.

We have the highest paid front 2 lines in the league and one of the top 2-3 forwards in the league who is out there playing 101st ranked 5v5 minutes and 46th ranked PP minutes per game.

Im just beside myself about this all.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The thing that makes this worse is that Matthews and Nylander aren't used on the PK, so it's not like they'd be gased and need a few shifts off 5 on 5.

The PP units split time so we should be running that line out there every 2nd or 3rd shift and every shift after a PK.

I'm fine with managing minutes if we're destroying a team. In a close game or when trailing we should be playing this guy as much as possible.

Reactions: Kurtz

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Matthews gets mediocre ice time while piece of shit garbage defensive forward Mitch "Mr. Invisble" Marner got 10 mins in the fist period against Tampa and guess what.....Tampa scored 4 goals.

If Mitch is not pulled off of the Pk, I would fire babcock by before christmas.

Mitch skates the puck up the ice on the PK does some stupid moronic move and loses the puck which results in a scramble until the puck ends up in the back of the net. It happened time and time again. It happened against Tampa. Marner is f***ing garbage and a wild card with the puck.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why's Barkov 89th?

Low sample size. Barkov was at over 22 minutes the past two years, and is at 21 minutes through 3 games. You can expect that to pick back up based on historical sample.

Meanwhile, Matthews has been stuck at around 18 minutes his whole career, and this season's just more of the same so far, and with this coach, you should expect that to continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad