TSN: Matthews on TSN: "We really don't care what other people think".

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I didn't know it was that easy.

You don't think some people are panicking and being impatient?

panic is the sense of "we did not even make the playoffs after everyone just got paid more then market value?" ya, there is that panic

impatient? i don't think any anger/complaints/use what term you will,,towards the "go to guys" that just got unprecedented and unparalleled deals and then proceeded to take a step back and fail to even make the POs as unwarranted

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
There is no debate anymore. Dubas Hockey does not work in the NHL. Every year he has refined the team, it's been worse. How far do we have to go down this hill?

I don't disagree that the soft style we play and the lack of grit, sandpaper, and robust play is not going to win.

As I just said to a fellow Maple Leaf fan and friend of almost 50 years :

"I'm sick and tired of The Impatient Fan. They ruled the roost for decades and accomplished nothing but more losing. We have some of the top players in the league right now. We need to make some changes for sure but I'm sick of listening to people who don't even know how to skate trying to dictate what should be done."

I think you and I may be on the same page for the most part.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't disagree that the soft style we play and the lack of grit, sandpaper, and robust play is not going to win.

"I'm sick and tired of The Impatient Fan. They ruled the roost for decades and accomplished nothing but more losing. We have some of the top players in the league right now. We need to make some changes for sure but I'm sick of listening to people who don't even know how to skate trying to dictate what should be done."

Absolutely we are. I have no doubt about it. I just think I have no patience for Dubas to do the right thing and would rather have a senior proven GM going forward. I wouldn't even mind if Shanny did GM and President. Own up to it, make the vision happen himself.

Reactions: Iapyi

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i played the beautiful game for 46 years straight before my knees finally gave out
i have coached and Gmd many different teams,,as a matter of fact, i am still the youngest guy to ever coach 16/20 year olds in my 65k pop town, i was just 21 and we won it that year.
i have seen every personality type possible play this game,,the only difference is the skill level in those players.

as for your "impatient fans" i call utter hog wash,,it was for the longest time "impatient ownership's" that deep down only cared abut making the POs,,nothing more then that,,,hence our litany of horrid trades spanning decades.

but now here we sit,,our big 3 took dubas to the cleaners on their deals and they can't even make it to the playoffs

they are being paid like they have done something,,,HEH if they think winning 1 round in the POs is tough BAHAHAHA,these children has no clue what is ahead of them.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
i played the beautiful game for 46 years straight before my knees finally gave out
i have coached and Gmd many different teams,,as a matter of fact, i am still the youngest coach to ever coach 16/20 year olds in my 65k pop town, i was just 21 and we won it that year.
i have seen every personality type possible play this game,,the only difference is the skill level in those players.

as for your "impatient fans" i call utter hog wash,,it was for the longest time "impatient ownership's" that deep down only cared abut making the POs,,nothing more then that,,,hence our litany of horrid trades spanning decades.

but now here we sit,,our big 3 took dubas to the cleaners on their deals and they can't even make it to the playoffs

they are being paid like they have done something,,,HEH if they think winning 1 round in the POs is tough BAHAHAHA,these children has no clue what is ahead of them.

That is your right. Personally I see them everywhere. Guess we have nothing further to discuss.

2) They've already taken him to the cleaners? They all signed their deals in the last couple of years. No impatience amongst the fans? Interesting.

Reactions: Havoc

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That is your right. Personally I see them everywhere. Guess we have nothing further to discuss.

2) They've already taken him to the cleaners? They all signed their deals in the last couple of years. No impatience amongst the fans? Interesting.
impatient fans do not dictate how or what the team does or handle it's affairs

sometimes empty seats and massive drops in TV ratings can tickle the needle a little bit, but that's about it

whatever is done is almost always on managements desires

to think otherwise is a inflated sense of a fans worth to those running the show
Matthews said it himself,,he does not care what we say or think and that's our alfa dog speaking.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I take exception that "impatient fans" are to blame on some management level.

It's not like "impatient fans" called up Tampa Bay and traded a second round pick for 4 weeks of Brian Boyle less than 12 months after drafting first overall. Or another second round pick for Tomas Plekanec one year after that.

It's not like "impatient fans" threw a lucrative contract at Patrick Marleau so a guy he could chase a cup on a team two years previously. Impatient fans didn't set that time table.

Impatient fans didn't decide to "own rental" Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Polak, Gardiner so that we have exactly zero assets to show for any of them leaving town.

Impatient fans didn't decide to trade Nazem Kadri for a 1 year winner take all rental on Tyson Barrie.

So many of the moves designed to shorten the build time, to contend right away were done by Lamoriello and Dubas. The fact that neither of them delivered a team that could win 1 round against another NHL team and the fact that they're frustrated now has nothing to do with the fans or the media or anybody else.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Boston's first 4 years having Pasta and Krug in the same core saw them miss the playoffs twice.

Can you imagine if they gave up on Marchand after 15/16.......8 seasons until he finally went point per game. If he was a Leaf this place would have eaten him alive.

We're not allowed considering things like that though :sarcasm:

Marchand for Brodin let's goooo.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Boston's first 4 years having Pasta and Krug in the same core saw them miss the playoffs twice.

Can you imagine if they gave up on Marchand after 15/16.......8 seasons until he finally went point per game. If he was a Leaf this place would have eaten him alive.

Part of being The Impatient Fan is pretending that The Impatient Fan doesn't exist.

Management is going to make mistakes. Everyone on earth makes mistakes. The mistake our current management team isn't going to make [I suspect and to a lesser extent hope] is making deals or moves based on The Impatient Fan.

Especially in such an odd year crying about not winning a playoff round is out and out impatient.

Reactions: Havoc

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You do remember that Cam Neely was so upset with Boston’s performance after 2014-15 that they traded Dougie Hamilton, Milan Lucic, Rielly Smith right? They actually tore down that team and retooled it.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
You do remember that Cam Neely was so upset with Boston’s performance after 2014-15 that they traded Dougie Hamilton, Milan Lucic, Rielly Smith right? They actually tore down that team and retooled it.
Lucic was already there for 8 years. I'd be down if we kept a guy like Nylander 8 years before deciding what to do with him.

Rielly Smith isn't really the same calibre of core we are speaking about. I'd ship him out if we had him and he could help us get D

Hamilton was a RFA and wanted out of Boston. They wanted to keep him. He was supposed to remain part of their core. He never countered the offers. Look at the trade itself. He was shipped out for picks. You can google it if you don't remember.

Also Lucic was exposed to the entire NHL as not being able to keep up in the modern era. He doesn't really qualify either. Why would he be a core piece still? Using these players supports NOT touching the core and using guys like AJ instead.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
There is no debate anymore. Dubas Hockey does not work in the NHL. Every year he has refined the team, it's been worse. How far do we have to go down this hill?

He's had the reigns for two years?

I mean I'm no Dubas fan boy by any means, but you make it sound like he's been here since we had Mike Kostka on our top pairing.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Can you source any of that?
Or is it just the outward disdain of a bitter person towards someone young and wealthy?
That’s how it comes across as.

Any evidence of him being stupid at all?

That post basically underlines, increases the font size and puts in bold the reason why pro athletes should not care what fans think of their teams’ inner workings or overall perception.

With or without cause, there are fans who just hate on the athletes due to pure unadulterated envy.
I don't think his post was in bad faith, no need for the slander and insults. Pretty sure we can understand what that guy was trying to say.

These kids make a pile of money and their work ethic hasn't even come close to matching it.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I expected and predicted a step back this season so I'm not surprised.

I want to win the Stanley Cup and The Impatient Fan ruled the roost for decades. Time for another approach and to bad for the people who don't get that.

Whaaa, we didn't win, time to burn it all down and start from scratch [again] = idiocy.

Yes, decades...the Leafs haven't won a Cup for 53 years! Yet, you accuse people of being impatient...this team couldn't even make the playoffs this year! Does this not sink in for you? I don't think most folks are saying to tear it all down, but some key forward pieces should be moved to build up a competent defense because this style of play and team composition has shown that it doesn't work...nobody is afraid to lay down the body on the Leafs and take cheap shots...there's very little push back...this year's performance and mediocrity is really not acceptable...not being ready for game 1, blowing game 3...if they didn't have the once in a generation game 4 come back, the series would have been 3-1 for Columbus.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yes, decades...the Leafs haven't won a Cup for 53 years! Yet, you accuse people of being impatient...this team couldn't even make the playoffs this year! Does this not sink in for you? I don't think most folks are saying to tear it all down, but some key forward pieces should be moved to build up a competent defense because this style of play and team composition has shown that it doesn't work...nobody is afraid to lay down the body on the Leafs and take cheap shots...there's very little push back...this year's performance and mediocrity is really not acceptable...not being ready for game 1, blowing game 3...if they didn't have the once in a generation game 4 come back, the series would have been 3-1 for Columbus.

One thing I am against is that management, for whatever reason, has not started to draft and develop their own Manson's and Pesce's.

They need to ditch these small skilled winger picks now and start focusing on D. All the teams with good D more or less built their back ends in-house.

Dubas is 2/2 with Sandin and Robertson though.....so maybe just a little more patience and we'll find some true no.4 guys like Pesce that you can put with your LHD on any pairing.

Manson = 6th rd. Parayko = 3rd. Pesce = 3rd. There's still hope through the draft while we use guys like Kapanen and AJ as first attempts to fix the D in the mean time.

If peripheral assets can't get it done then yeah theyll need to see if theres a young D that can swap places with one of Nylander or Marner but it would need to be a definite top pairing...not a "top 4 guy".

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Honestly, for the most part it's great that Matthews, and the vast majority of professional sports players in general have this mindset.

Like for instance, as great and knowledgable as a minority of HF posters are, there's also alot of mindless garbage around here, purely driven by emotion.

So overall, if a professional athlete took even a tenth of what we said seriously, they would likely need to see a sports therapist ASAP, lol.

So in the end, best for these guys to just ignore or brush off whatever shit we talk like dust on their shoulders.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Try to keep up with what I'm saying. You are proving my point. Does that sink in for you? LOL

I've been quite clear about what I think about the style of play we have and our chances of success with it. Sounds like you're yelling at me for saying what you have essentially said. LOL

Our team is soft.

A certain contingent of our fan base makes up The Impatient Fan.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Can you source any of that?
Or is it just the outward disdain of a bitter person towards someone young and wealthy?
That’s how it comes across as.

Any evidence of him being stupid at all?

That post basically underlines, increases the font size and puts in bold the reason why pro athletes should not care what fans think of their teams’ inner workings or overall perception.

With or without cause, there are fans who just hate on the athletes due to pure unadulterated envy.

Him mooning a security guard, getting charged, and failing to tell his employers would fit the description.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Him mooning a security guard, getting charged, and failing to tell his employers would fit the description.

Sign of a future champion to me:

A 20-year-old [Patrick] Kane and his cousin are arrested early in the morning in his hometown of Buffalo, N.Y., after an altercation with a cabdriver. "They broke my glasses, they ripped my clothes ... all over 20 cents," the driver told the tribube at his home, where he said he was recovering from a broken nose.

Kane got a cup after this incident. Matthews is following the same path :sarcasm:

Reactions: Iapyi

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

So I did some digging.

Here is the link for Hamilton: Sweeney explains why Bruins dealt Dougie Hamilton - Sportsnet.ca

I'm curious why you think 3 non-core players in Lucic, Smith and Hamilton supports us touching our core? Boston decided who their core was (well, forced into excluding Hamilton) and it didn't include those guys.

Our current core is well defined. Your comment is sort of random. I'm fully on board with a re-tool, shedding these bottom 6 guys for assets to be used for fixing the D and also filling their spots with some smash bros.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
There's no question that Dubas' tenure has been an utter failure. I've said it before; he's been so awful that it's as if he's a league plant sent to sabotage the Leafs. Shanny as well, who previously worked for the league. I'm not a tinfoil hat guy, but remember it's a business. And the league prefers to expand rather than have "sure thing" teams go far.

That, or Dubas is just really, really bad. Either way, he needs to go. He cannot be allowed to make a single other move on this team. Let him crunch numbers and prepare the draft behind the scenes, but he can't be the head honcho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad