Matthews not among Babcocks leadership Group. Won't wear a Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
https://www.tsn.ca/matthews-not-among-babcock-s-2018-19-leadership-group-1.1172299

Alot of ammo is starting to add up about the previous reports of a rift between Mathews and Babcock.

Mathews wont even wear a Letter this season.

Tavares Marleau and Riley are the ones Babcock has chosen

What they SHOULD do is try to make him the youngest captain in league history because as we know, personal accomplishments are far more important than team ones and that has worked out very well in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Well really he has no obligation to give him a letter on his jersey. I don't know much about Rielly's leadership skills, but Marleau and Tavares are both great choices to serve as captains.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't see it either, guy's a great talent but he doesn't scream captain to me. I think Tavares gets the C, Rielly and Marner get the A's.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
No, Babcock told a reporter that Matthews is not wearing a letter this season. The decision was likely made by Leafs management as a whole and may or may not reflect Babcock’s opinion on Matthews’ leadership abilities. It may simply be that the Leafs want Matthews focusing on his game without worrying about other responsibilities.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
There have been several reports that Mo is the man in the Leafs room.
I'm starting to once again believe he will be the next captain.

Also, this isn't necessarily a knock. Auston is still only 20/1 with 2 years under his belt.
Babs is basically taking some pressure off him.
Agreed.
I always prefer seeing a defenseman with the C.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Still a smart move, give the letters to the vets of the team, shelter the young guys as much as possible.

This organization has learned a lot over the last few years, good to see.

Matthews is just like the other kids, he'll get the captaincy when he's ready.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Is this just going to just fuel the apparent Babcock/Matthews rift? The market is Toronto, so we know the answer to this.

Right! it's such a non story. Not one single quote says Babcock thinks this, they have guys who have been a C already, and longer serving (Reilly)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Matthews is the franchise player not anyone else. Leafs better start treating him like the franchise player.

Also, though the other 3 are As, maybe Austin is the C?

And, have to get this off my chest, but Tavares is a good player, but IMO, not going to be the visible dynamo some are expecting. Matthews is the juggernaut and that is the way it is.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
No, Babcock told a reporter that Matthews is not wearing a letter this season. The decision was likely made by Leafs management as a whole and may or may not reflect Babcock’s opinion on Matthews’ leadership abilities. It may simply be that the Leafs want Matthews focusing on his game without worrying about other responsibilities.

This is probably the case. But no, it's 2018 everything has to be ammo ... a burn ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad