Matthews/Marner

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Whine and stuff are fine and that's actually what's make true Leafs Ultras(borrowing the term from European Football) and it is great b/c we are all very passionate about our team and us. Thing is we should cheer the logo nomatterwhat.
I agree you should cheer no matter what but I've just been a little mad about the feeling towards two of our best players in Gardiner and Nylander. People in this thread don't even want to give Nylander a chance with Tavares even though all they complain about is his lack of production. Leafs Ultras huh? That's a new one.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree you should cheer no matter what but I've just been a little mad about the feeling towards two of our best players in Gardiner and Nylander. People in this thread don't even want to give Nylander a chance with Tavares even though all they complain about is his lack of production. Leafs Ultras huh? That's a new one.
Ultras is actually a term which describe diehard fans for their teams. Its just so happened that a very small portion of Ultras can become extremely hostile during games, thus leading people to think Ultras=bad fans.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Been waiting years for this to happen.

It's gonna be magic.

If you thought Marner and JT looked good together... wait till you see Matthews and Marner. Lots of highlight reel goals coming up.

Reactions: Big Drama Show

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

The premise is that Matthews, Tavares and Marner are split up, so Auston and John's wingers are interchangeable.

Reasoning: Each line has at least one player other teams will want to focus on and guarantees one of Matthews, Tavares or Marner will be facing a 3rd defense pairing regularly. As well, Marner should help get Kadri/Marleau going and ideally, provide 3 productive lines which are critical for the playoffs.

I think the Matthews/Marner pairing will mean opposing teams do what they do now with Tavares/Marner: Focus on covering the trigger man (Tavares and now Matthews). Of course, the result of that has been Marner shooting and scoring more. But I don't see a net gain from this move unless M&M somehow find a different approach that gets Auston going.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Ultras is actually a term which describe diehard fans for their teams. Its just so happened that a very small portion of Ultras can become extremely hostile during games, thus leading people to think Ultras=bad fans.
So those are the guys with flares I presume? Haha thanks for the knowledge!

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Matthews/Marner is a good change.

I dont know why he keeps defaulting to Kadri/Nylander when its clear it doesnt work.

Marleau/Matthews didnt look good together either.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

The premise is that Matthews, Tavares and Marner are split up, so Auston and John's wingers are interchangeable.

Reasoning: Each line has at least one player other teams will want to focus on and guarantees one of Matthews, Tavares or Marner will be facing a 3rd defense pairing regularly. As well, Marner should help get Kadri/Marleau going and ideally, provide 3 productive lines which are critical for the playoffs.

I think the Matthews/Marner pairing will mean opposing teams do what they do now with Tavares/Marner: Focus on covering the trigger man (Tavares and now Matthews). Of course, the result of that has been Marner shooting and scoring more. But I don't see a net gain from this move unless M&M somehow find a different approach that gets Auston going.
I've never once thought of lines like this. My only issue is that Marner would be getting less ice time which he doesn't deserve at all. However Marner-Kadri had magic. Matts-Kappy had magic. And it's not a stretch to say Tavares and Willy could develop some. I'd try this out for sure. Unfortunately we have Babcock, sorry friend.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So those are the guys with flares I presume? Haha thanks for the knowledge!
Pretty much. Actually their section is really fun. They will literally be singing and chanting the team/club songs, will be standing the whole time during the game and it is really non-stop entertainment. Kind of like the standing section of the concert.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Pretty much. Actually their section is really fun. They will literally be singing and chanting the team/club songs, will be standing the whole time during the game and it is really non-stop entertainment. Kind of like the standing section of the concert.
I've never been to a Soccer game especially in Europe so I can only Imagine it's even more intense than the nosebleeds at a Buffalo Bills game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I've never been to a Soccer game especially in Europe so I can only Imagine it's even more intense than the nosebleeds at a Buffalo Bills game.
A lot more. Esp if the team is losing, they will start chanting and singing to try to rally the team.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I enjoyed watching Johnsson with tavares/Marner.........knew it wouldnt last but it was fun.
I intend to enjoy Matthews/Marner together even if it only lasts a couple of shifts.

Gotta appreciate it while you can.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
This is not something that shouldnt last a while honestly. I get it for right now just to get some help for matty but i would split up the big three.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

As someone said above, teams will have to pick their poison. Marner will kickstart kadri/marleau like last year. Tavares runs his line with our two speedsters. Matty reunites with the line that worked for 2 years.

No team survives with one line. We need to have depth and everyone going.

Reactions: egd27

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This is not something that shouldnt last a while honestly. I get it for right now just to get some help for matty but i would split up the big three.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

As someone said above, teams will have to pick their poison. Marner will kickstart kadri/marleau like last year. Tavares runs his line with our two speedsters. Matty reunites with the line that worked for 2 years.

You'd be taking away a good chunk of ice time from either Marner or Tavares in doing this. Only downside IMO unless lines don't click.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
You'd be taking away a good chunk of ice time from either Marner or Tavares in doing this. Only downside IMO unless lines don't click.
That is true but thats where babs need to find them ice time. I just know that babs will never be a two line team.

Or what you could do is run two lines if you are down a goal:

Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Kadri Tavares Marner

Honesty, those should be the lines for every 3rd period when we are down a goal.

Reactions: Koolboss

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

Said this a week ago and some said we could not break up Tavares and Marner.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Babcock: Am not promising that (marner-matthews duo) would only last warm ups, one shift, one period or one game. we just had it like this for practice

:laugh:

:popcorn:

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
That is true but thats where babs need to find them ice time. I just know that babs will never be a two line team.

Or what you could do is run two lines if you are down a goal:

Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Kadri Tavares Marner

Honesty, those should be the lines for every 3rd period when we are down a goal.
PREACH
Send out Johnsson-Marleau-Hyman for a shift if they need a rest shift and keep rolling 2 lines. Also we need to shorten the bench to just Rielly, Gardiner, and Dermott in the last 4 minutes or so. Having Zaitsev, Oz, or Hainsey on the ice kills any chance of offense.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Most interesting comment here is that Matthews now will face top competition because they target Marner

yup; that would leave Tavares alone to do the damage with Kappy

I am expecting for Babs to match Tavares line against the Ovi line with last change; and Matthews-Marner will get their best d-pairing

I have zero expectations from kadri and nylander; if they score great but not getting my hopes high on them

Marner-Matthews am hoping will do a very good job at "nut cracking" of the caps

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Obviously this will work, it will also be fun to watch. It will also be temporary I suspect, good move Babs.

I feel bad for Kadri, guy has a revolving door on his wings.

kadri has been in the league for a long time now; he needs to be better at adjusting his game

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
yup; that would leave Tavares alone to do the damage with Kappy

I am expecting for Babs to match Tavares line against the Ovi line with last change; and Matthews-Marner will get their best d-pairing

I have zero expectations from kadri and nylander; if they score great but not getting my hopes high on them

Marner-Matthews am hoping will do a very good job at "nut cracking" of the caps
Would be just as excited to see Hyman out of the top 6...but likely will be the winger for the dynamic duo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00