Matthews/Marner

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Man, Can never please all you bastards.

We've thrown together the YMCA line, stuck our fastest, strongest skater with our best player and have two players who are playing amazingly without results together to figure it out.

"Babcock never adjusts" "Babcock stop switching lines" everyone thinks he's doing it wrong but no one can agree on what to do right. **** it, I'm excited for this lineup, excited to see what Dermott and Z can be with a little more time together. Go leafs go, **** the haters.
And on top of that we get to see either Kappy or Nylander with Tavares? I just got very excited for Wednesday. I hope it's Willy since the point of putting Marner with Matts is to break the goal drought.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
difference being, you can go back and see I haven't done that.

meanwhile your posting history tells me that in fact yes you will still be on and on about nylanders weaknesses long after his slump is over.

So in summary you made an assumption verifiably false,
I made an assumption based on previous history I think will prove correct
I'm sure you have advanced stats to back up your argument?

Reactions: PromisedLand

leafygoods

Defending Champs
Aug 12, 2009
Halifax
And on top of that we get to see either Kappy or Nylander with Tavares? I just got very excited for Wednesday. I hope it's Willy since the point of putting Marner with Matts is to break the goal drought.

Today's lines had kappy with JT and hyman and Kadri with Nylander brown. Willy has been playing ok, but he shouldn't be rewarded with our best player just yet. He and Kadri need to both figure out how to put the puck in the net, so let them figure it out together. According to metrics they are dominating possession, should be just a matter of time, right?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Today's lines had kappy with JT and hyman and Kadri with Nylander brown. Willy has been playing ok, but he shouldn't be rewarded with our best player just yet. He and Kadri need to both figure out how to put the puck in the net, so let them figure it out together. According to metrics they are dominating possession, should be just a matter of time, right?
I don't think of it as a reward but maybe as an igniter in order to get him going. He's been tried everywhere in the lineup except for with Tavares and maybe there's some magic there? Worth a 1 game shot IMO. Honestly they've shot so many times into legs and just wide lately they're gonna explode for 8 goals sooner or later.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hope it works, and I hope it works well. I'd like to think it will, and even though it is a top line, the team will need more than just this to better and then maintain its overall fortunes. I'm a proponent of consistency in the lines, but a successful team is always the end game. The former may or may not result in the latter.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Obviously this will work, it will also be fun to watch. It will also be temporary I suspect, good move Babs.

I feel bad for Kadri, guy has a revolving door on his wings.

Reactions: Leafling

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I doubt it will last knowing Babcock, but honestly if he goes against all his previous actions, this is the exact thing that could get Matthews going again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At this point the top priority is to get Matthews going.
I think they've just accepted the fact that Nylander will eventually get there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well i think Babcock basically took a shot across the Matthews bow. he basically said that Mitch is the Leafs best player and has the most important assignments, so by putting matthews with mitch he's gotta step up. let's see how Matthews responds for it.

as for Nylander. whatever. he needs to step up now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I doubt it will last knowing Babcock, but honestly if he goes against all his previous actions, this is the exact thing that could get Matthews going again.
Well considering JT and Marner have been one of the most consistent, effective tandems in the league, hard to argue if Babs reverts back. He's trying to get Matthews going, hopefully Willie too, then he can put them back together as an effective pair, not like that hasn't worked either.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm still not following, we've been told that Nylander = Marner, yet we're now told that having the two best players playing together is long overdue.
Seems to be a bit of a disconnect.

Poor Tavares.
Tavares is the veteran. He will help Nylander improve his performance. Pairing Marner and Matthews is a good idea considering that both are likely going to earn around $10m million-ish long-term.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why? that's all anyone wants.

Some just go a little overboard with their defense of Nylander, they can get overly biased.
Some go too far the other way while the rest of us just try and keep it real.
every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction, Newton's third law. Now what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tavares is the veteran. He will help Nylander improve his performance. Pairing Marner and Matthews is a good idea considering that both are likely going to earn around $10m million-ish long-term.
I don't think Nylander is playing with Tavares, at least he wasn't from the lines posted from practice earlier.

every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction, Newton's third law. Now what came first, the chicken or the egg?
Nylander can be soft but I don't think I'd go as far as calling him a chicken.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think Nylander is playing with Tavares, at least he wasn't from the lines posted from practice earlier.

Nylander can be soft but I don't think I'd go as far as calling him a chicken.

upload_2019-1-21_16-57-18.jpeg

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
ha, get those hopes way down. What will inevitably happen is he and poster like him will nitpick every single little thing he does. So now basically but they will look even more stupid due to nylAnder performing

That's the thing I don't understand, why keep picking on your team players? It is fair to criticize but these players play for the Leafs and as Leafs fans, you want them to succeed since if every players is having a good game, chances are Leafs will end up with the W. The W is the thing that matters the most, more Ws means higher seedings/home ice in the playoffs and then the Leafs only need 16 Ws in the playoffs to win the Cup.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
That's the thing I don't understand, why keep picking on your team players? It is fair to criticize but these players play for the Leafs and as Leafs fans, you want them to succeed since if every players is having a good game, chances are Leafs will end up with the W. The W is the thing that matters the most, more Ws means higher seedings/home ice in the playoffs and then the Leafs only need 16 Ws in the playoffs to win the Cup.
To be honest, I think that Leaf fans need to b**ch and whine about something or we will explode. Whole fanbase has to chill on Nylander and Gardiner but apparently they're the reason we're in a team slump right now? Always funny to me lol.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To be honest, I think that Leaf fans need to b**ch and whine about something or we will explode. Whole fanbase has to chill on Nylander and Gardiner but apparently they're the reason we're in a team slump right now? Always funny to me lol.

Whine and stuff are fine and that's actually what's make true Leafs Ultras(borrowing the term from European Football) and it is great b/c we are all very passionate about our team and us. Thing is we should cheer the logo nomatterwhat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad