Matthews+Marner+Point vs Rantanen+Laine+Kane

Which trio is currently better

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Point is having the best season of the 3 Atlantic players...

Can you imagine:

Matthews - Point - Marner

That's a line that can dominate possession, defend well, and score at will.

The Central line would have some serious issues defending.

It only appears he's having a good season
If you know the right advanced stats you'll see he's more like a good 3rd liner or poor 2nd liner.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
There is an advanced stats model that puts Yevgeni Dadonov as the best 5vs5 player in the world.
You are probably referring to his 5v5 p1/60 which is 6th in the league for this year and last behind Matthews MacKinnon Point McDavid and Kucherov. My response to that is that he might just be a really good offensive player. Great rates despite Florida overplaying their top-6. Dadonov is one of the best offensive players on the planet.

Anyway we are getting off topic my bad.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
You are probably referring to his 5v5 p1/60 which is 6th in the league for this year and last behind Matthews MacKinnon Point McDavid and Kucherov. My response to that is that he might just be a really good offensive player. Great rates despite Florida overplaying their top-6. Dadonov is one of the best offensive players on the planet.

Anyway we are getting off topic my bad.
Naw, it put Dadonov's 5vs5 contributions as the best in the world last year - was Sean Tierney's twitter post in the summer. Not going to search for that one.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Naw, it put Dadonov's 5vs5 contributions as the best in the world last year - was Sean Tierney's twitter post in the summer. Not going to search for that one.
I mean you could argue that for the 1 year sample. He had pretty good possession numbers though hard to say how much of that was him and how much was Barkov. (But if this year is an indication barkov’s defensive impact is way overstated). Waiting for a larger sample and/or tougher mins to call him a top 10 player but he’s top 20.

Dammit you got me off topic again. Matthews is a babe.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What is your evidence for Rantanen being like an average 2nd liner or whatever it is you've called him?
Gets 5v5 primary points at a low-mid end first line rate despite having MacKinnon, doesn’t really drive possession, scoring rate falls off when away from mackinnon

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Gets 5v5 primary points at a low-mid end first line rate despite having MacKinnon, doesn’t really drive possession, scoring rate falls off when away from mackinnon

"Despite having MacKinnon"? Check MacKinnons stats away from Rantanen? MacKinnon and Landy suddenly exploded when they gor Rantanen on their line. Isnt that odd?

Landeskog 33p in 2016-2017
MacKinnon 53p in 2016-2017

Full-time with Rantanen

MacKinnon 97p 2017-2018
Landeskog 62p 2017-2018

Any 2nd liner has that kind of impact on linemates...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad