Friedman: Matthews likely to sign a 5-6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Matthews does not deserve 13 mil or whatever if 8 year deal. I feel like leaf fans are preparing for the worst so they can praise Dubas afterwards when its lower.

11-12 would be realistic max either way.

Think of it this way. Tavares...as a UFA got 11.5 mil. Why should Matthews get 11-12 as an RFA? If they do give him that so be it but how much more can he expect. McDavid makes 12.5, Eichel makes 10. This includes UFA years.

The whole idea of shorter term is to get him closer to 10, maybe even high 9s if they're aggressive enough. If he's getting 12 mil or whatever for taking up mostly RFA years Dubas failed miserably.
I’m pretty sure most leafs fans don’t think he’ll get that much. Non leafs fans want to believe he’ll get an offer sheet which will put his salary at the 12-13 million and maybe higher. To be honest I don’t see what Matthews has done to deserve 12 million a year.

Reactions: Ori

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, it's just too bad that Blue Jackets fans can't say the same about Bob and Panarin as they just want to get the F out of that lame market ASAP. At least our RFA's want to be here for a long time.

It's a weird time to bring this up.

Marner, Matthews and Nylander are/were RFAs.

Panarin and Bob are UFAs.

Out of the 5, 1 did sign with the leafs and he refused to play for them unless they gave him good money.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I’m pretty sure most leafs fans don’t think he’ll get that much. Non leafs fans want to believe he’ll get an offer sheet which will put his salary at the 12-13 million and maybe higher. To be honest I don’t see what Matthews has done to deserve 12 million a year.

He's a fantastic player but I don't see why he can command 12 million unless it takes up a lot of UFA years. Even then...

I think if 5-6 years the 10 mil mark is reasonable.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Imagine if Mcdavid signed a 5 or 6 year deal. Toronto fans would be screaming here about how he wants to leave. So i guess this means Matthews wants to get to ufa asap so he can move to Arizona.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Yeah its not like bob didnt sign 2 contracts before or Atkinson hasnt resigned or johansen didnt resign or Jones didnt resign etc etc etc

Good call ROTFLMAO

So what?... Despite being a competitive team, they both want to leave the Blue Jackets this summer (or even sooner at the TDL) because they no longer want to play in that market. You don't find that a complete slap in the face towards your team?...At least with both Matthews and Marner, they have publicly expressed their desire to remain Leafs for a very long time, and are letting their agents handle the negotiations--which btw, is the normal channel of going about negotiating a new contract extension.

Yeah, I know it sucks having your star players publicly express their unhappiness with your favorite team and all, but stop projecting your bitterness towards Leafs players that feel the complete opposite of those two, and actually want to play in this market for years to come.

PavelLevap

Feb 2, 2019
So what?... Despite being a competitive team, they both want to leave the Blue Jackets this summer (or even sooner at the TDL) because they no longer want to play in that market. You don't find that a complete slap in the face towards your team?...At least with both Matthews and Marner, they have publicly expressed their desire to remain Leafs for a very long time, and are letting their agents handle the negotiations--which is the normal channel of going about negotiating a new contract extension.

Yeah, I know it sucks having your star players publicly express their unhappiness with your favorite team and all, but stop projecting your bitterness towards Leafs players that feel the complete opposite of those two, and actually want to play in this market for years to come.

Lmfao dude said so what afted i obliterated hus argument. Im dying from laughter.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
It's a weird time to bring this up.

Marner, Matthews and Nylander are/were RFAs.

Panarin and Bob are UFAs.

Out of the 5, 1 did sign with the leafs and he refused to play for them unless they gave him good money.

Yeah, its not like his father (who had a notorious reputation of being difficult with every team he played on during contract negotaitions) had anything to do with it? But you'll find out about that soon enough when Tie starts to intervene on his son's behalf during his next RFA extension.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Imagine if Mcdavid signed a 5 or 6 year deal. Toronto fans would be screaming here about how he wants to leave. So i guess this means Matthews wants to get to ufa asap so he can move to Arizona.

Great post. You think Leafs fans would be stupid in a hyptothetical situation, so you act stupid for this imaginary thing that never happened.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Then Arizona after 5 years?

Oh no. He's not going to that black hole of hockey. Matthews doesn't sell tickets to Coyotes fans (there are so few) even when teh Leafs play one game a year.

Matthews might resigned with the Leafs but he wants a big market (IMO). It's New York or LA.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Imagine if there were a dozen threads created saying it's a lock Matthews at age 21 will leave and go to Arizona. Oh wait, that does happen on here...

At least Mcdavid to Toronto has some semblance of reality. And by that I mean the Leafs won't move to Houston soon and can actually afford to pay a big contract.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, its not like his father (who had a notorious reputation of being difficult with every team he played on during contract negotaitions) had anything to do with it? But you'll find out about that soon enough when Tie starts to intervene on his son's behalf during his next RFA extension.

So be it. I’m not one talking shit though.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Imagine if there were a dozen threads created saying it's a lock Matthews at age 21 will leave and go to Arizona. Oh wait, that does happen on here...

At least Mcdavid to Toronto has some semblance of reality. And by that I mean the Leafs won't move to Houston soon and can actually afford to pay a big contract.

I don’t think coyotes will mind paying Matthews if he wanted to go there. They can afford more if they’re in playoffs and competitive. Good players help.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t think coyotes will mind paying Matthews if he wanted to go there. They can afford more if they’re in playoffs and competitive. Good players help.

They're literally losing 50 million a year and are only above the salary cap floor if you count the Hossa and Bolland contracts + retentions and buyouts. The most expensive configuration of their healthy game-ready roster is below the salary floor.

That's the team you think is gonna pay Matthews 12+ a year with more than half of it in up front bonuses?

They're relocated this decade, no question whatsoever.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Oh no. He's not going to that black hole of hockey. Matthews doesn't sell tickets to Coyotes fans (there are so few) even when teh Leafs play one game a year.

Matthews might resigned with the Leafs but he wants a big market (IMO). It's New York or LA.
....Toronto is literally the biggest market you can get

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

They'd have to commit that money with no guarantee of additional revenues. They have to cheat to even hit the cap floor.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Agreed. The usual Leaf haters were talking **** in this thread wayyyy before I decided to give my 2 cents on the issue. Why don't you address any of them? Ohhhh...I know why.

You talked shit to a guy who said Matthews wants big money. Is he wrong? Will Matthews sign for 8 and take discount? No. It’s a legit statement. He wants to be paid and it’s in best interest of leafs to do that.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They're literally losing 50 million a year and are only above the salary cap floor if you count the Hossa and Bolland contracts + retentions and buyouts. The most expensive configuration of their healthy game-ready roster is below the salary floor.

That's the team you think is gonna pay Matthews 12+ a year with more than half of it in up front bonuses?

They're relocated this decade, no question whatsoever.

I don’t know their exact finances. Where does 50 million loses come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad