Matthews has grabbed the torch from Ovi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is the best Leaf hype post ever. Matthews isn't even near of good a goal scorer as Ovi is. Laine has had more goals in a season than Matthews and I'm not even calling Laine Ovechkin and he's not on the Jets anymore.

But right now compared to any NHLer right now I say Draisaitl is the closest thing to Ovechkin right now.

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This is the best Leaf hype post ever. Matthews isn't even near of good a goal scorer as Ovi is. Laine has had more goals than Matthews and I'm not even calling Laine Ovechkin and he's not on the Jets anymore.

It appears he just may be, he's right there and this year could be the year that he passes him.

Laine only beat Matthews once due to injuries. And it's not like Ovi has never been beaten in goals.

To be very clear, Matthews is far closer to Ovi, than Laine is to Matthews.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
This is the best Leaf hype post ever. Matthews isn't even near of good a goal scorer as Ovi is. Laine has had more goals than Matthews and I'm not even calling Laine Ovechkin and he's not on the Jets anymore.

But right now compared to any NHLer right now I say Draisaitl is the closest thing to Ovechkin right now.

?

It looks like Matthews has 174 and Laine has 144 in more games.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
how many years did it take him to prove it

Point is, he proved it by getting the Cup and especially the Conn Smythe. It’s funny how people talk up players like Gretzky and totally ignore the -team- he had, the legendary roster he played with. Ovie’s roster isn’t even a third of that and he brought home a Cup and the Conn.

It takes a special kind of player to do that.

Respect the guy.

Jesus Is Lord

Jan 13, 2019
Another game, another dominant performance from Matthews with the goals and points to match. It's hilarious to watch his haters trying to cope in this thread.

dTcAHZc.jpg

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Habs fan here, and yes, he's the next elite goalscorer. I don't think he'll ever equal prime and peak Ovechkin, but he should reach the 500 goal club with relative ease at this pace, maybe even 600.

Ovie has not given up the torch though, he's still a Richard threat imo.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah, they've played more games, so no coincidence for sure. Having 4+ top 10 offensive talents in the league don't hurt either.

I hadn't considered that, you're right. I do still think reading into stats a whole lot into this years stats has the potential to be real misleading. More than usual. Matthews is certainly deserving of all of the praise he is getting this year

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
This is the best Leaf hype post ever. Matthews isn't even near of good a goal scorer as Ovi is. Laine has had more goals in a season than Matthews and I'm not even calling Laine Ovechkin and he's not on the Jets anymore.

In what way is Draisaitl the closest thing to Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad