Matthews has grabbed the torch from Ovi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Habs fan here, and yes, he's the next elite goalscorer. I don't think he'll ever equal prime and peak Ovechkin, but he should reach the 500 goal club with relative ease at this pace, maybe even 600.

Ovie has not given up the torch though, he's still a Richard threat imo.

he is down 11, and he will turn 37 next season....

Matthews has more than Ov,Pasta,Mackinnon, and Eichel combined
he is in a league of his own goal scoring wise and it isnt particularly close.

0.94 goals/gm, which is a 53 in 56 pace, or 77 in 82 pace

BEAST

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
he is down 11, and he will turn 37 next season....

Matthews has more than Ov,Pasta,Mackinnon, and Eichel combined
he is in a league of his own goal scoring wise and it isnt particularly close.

0.94 goals/gm, which is a 53 in 56 pace, or 77 in 82 pace

BEAST
I don't know. Like I said in another thread, he has 0 goals in 4 games against the two only teams in the Canadian division that can play defense. I wouldn't put him over Pasta and Ovie just yet.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’ll throw out before this post that I said Matthews was winning the rocket before the season began and barring injury I would guarantee he wins this season - I think he hits late 30s, maybe even 40 if everything goes right.

That said this torrid pace he and Marner are on is not going to continue. They’re rocking 16 and 17% 5v5 on ice shooting percentages which is something they won’t be able to keep up (unless they play the Sens every game). For reference the highest Crosby ever had in a season where he played more than 41 games was 11.6%. I expect given the division and the 56 game schedule they should be able to finish above 12% but doubt it’s much more than that.

He’s in a league of his own through a 1/4 season but the gap will close and one year doesn’t propel him that far above Ovi (or even Pasta) that you can say they’re on different planets goal scoring wise.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This is the best Leaf hype post ever. Matthews isn't even near of good a goal scorer as Ovi is. Laine has had more goals in a season than Matthews and I'm not even calling Laine Ovechkin and he's not on the Jets anymore.

But right now compared to any NHLer right now I say Draisaitl is the closest thing to Ovechkin right now.

this is probably the worst post ive seen in a long time

first bolded is just a blatant lie. Laine has never had as many as the 47 goals matthews scored last year. he has only once ever had more than matthews once out of 5 seasons so thats an absolute trash comparison

2nd bolded is an awful take. Leon is in his 7th season and has had 30+ TWICE
how id that OV? Draisaitl is at 0.404 goals/gm for his career but thats closer than the guy at 0.582? Ovechkin is at .611 so yeah no everything you said is wrong but par for the course for a noted leaf hater

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I don't know. Like I said in another thread, he has 0 goals in 4 games against the two only teams in the Canadian division that can play defense. I wouldn't put him over Pasta and Ovie just yet.
Why do you keep saying this? Guy had 47 goals last year against everyone.

literally hilarious attempt to diminish matthews’s achievement. Joke of a post

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

lol. cherry pick much? thats like saying, yeah well OV didnt score against Tampa....

Matthews is already well above pasta despite past beating him by 1 last year (the only time pasta has ever hit the 40g matthews had as a draft+1 rookie)

Matthews: .582
Pasta: 0.465

so matthews is significantly better this year and over his career. try harder bud

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
lol imagine Ovi taking turns with Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver's defense and goaltending over and over :laugh:

Ovechkin would have around 20 PP goals at this point, all via the ever predictable and unstoppable one timer. The difference in quality of competition is absolutely a factor this season. Nothing that happens this season should change anyone's mind on player rankings. Good players are still good in a vacuum but attempting to draw analysis via the skewed data from division to division is simply not accurate.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why do you keep saying this? Guy had 47 goals last year against everyone.

literally hilarious attempt to diminish matthews’s achievement. Joke of a post

yeah its hilarious right? i dont see the same dialogue about mcdavid and draisaitl absolutely dumping on the sens.

Matthews has 63 goals in 87 games since last season. they werent all against ottawa, edmonton etc

Matthews has 10 more goals than ANY PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE since the start of last season. but yeah, its because of the north division SMH!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
lol. cherry pick much? thats like saying, yeah well OV didnt score against Tampa....

Matthews is already well above pasta despite past beating him by 1 last year (the only time pasta has ever hit the 40g matthews had as a draft+1 rookie)

so matthews is significantly better this year and over his career. try harder bud

Well above? Comparing their careers is apples to oranges considering the starts to each of their careers. Posting stats such as these literally is chuckle worthy.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

But isn't now what's important? Pasta has a Rocket, Matthews doesn't. That's a fact. You can't deny this season to some extent might be unfair due to the 100% in-division games? I mean cherry pick and cherry pick, but 0 in 4 might be a coincidence but it sure looks like a bit of a pattern? I would not be surprised if Matthew's will reign the Rocket race for years to come, but before I put him "not even close" above the rest, I'd like to see what happens in a normal season.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
yeah its hilarious right? i dont see the same dialogue about mcdavid and draisaitl absolutely dumping on the sens.

Matthews has 63 goals in 87 games since last season. they werent all against ottawa, edmonton etc

Matthews has 10 more goals than ANY PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE since the start of last season. but yeah, its because of the north division SMH!

That quite literally is the reason. This season is the reason he has such a lead in goals scored. Last season he was a top three goalscorer, elite. Nonsense cherry picking of data does not give you a good standing with these statements.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
But isn't now what's important? Pasta has a Rocket, Matthews doesn't. That's a fact. You can't deny this season to some extent might be unfair due to the 100% in-division games? I mean cherry pick and cherry pick, but 0 in 4 might be a coincidence but it sure looks like a bit of a pattern? I would not be surprised if Matthew's will reign the Rocket race for years to come, but before I put him "not even close" above the rest, I'd like to see what happens in a normal season.

Pasta shared a rocket. he beat matthews by 1 goal. Matthews is beating Pasta by 11 this year

you seriously trying to say 48+5 >>47+16?

what will the dialogue change to when matthews wins the rocket this year? oh yeah its because of the north division, right.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Padding stats against the likes of Ottawa and Vancouver.

the defense in teh north is a joke. Zero chance the winner does much after the divisional round.

Pylons play better defense. Ottawa 78 goals against already. 78.

Not impressed.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe that's how he got so hot, burning himself on the torch. We have another active Matthews thread and this one is full so move over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad