News Article: "Matthews denies rift with Babcock, wants to play with Marner more"

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
They are delusional, then. I thought Brown and Hyman both had good series. They had a ton of compete and seemed to push the envelope every shift.

I have to agree. A lot of people are looking for scapegoats to rationalize Matthews' poor playoff performance, but the truth is, he hadn't looked the same since coming off the IR, and he had Chara draped all over him throughout the series.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
no, boston won because they were the better team overall. their defense was better, their special teams were better. they scored 5 out of 12 goals on the pp in game 1 + 2. our pk sucked. our pp was not that good, because the bruins found ways to shut us down.

yes, boston's defense neutralized matthews and nylander. but nonetheless, matthews played badly. he was fumbling pucks all over the ice, his passes got intercepted. people have no issues harping on william for his playoff performance but cannot admit that auston matthews played like sh1t. and it wasn't because he played with brown and hyman later on.

Yep.

Also worth noting that the Bruins top line was most dominant when they were out as a PP unit more so than even strength.

Special teams were a huge reason the Leafs lost that series unfortunately.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yep.

Also worth noting that the Bruins top line was most dominant when they were out as a PP unit more so than even strength.

Special teams were a huge reason the Leafs lost that series unfortunately.
It's weird because both teams I'm sure didn't have their best PK's in the series. Toronto ended up at 66.7% and Boston had 73.3%.
Boston's and Toronto's powerplay were both doing pretty well, it's just theirs was at a better rate and they had way too much powerplay time handed to them.

They had 7 goals in 21 opportunities and we had 4 goals on 15.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
our pk was really f***ing bad in the first two games. the i-just-hope-our players-will-stay-out-of-the-box-bad. but our guys on the pk did a good job in game 4-7 for most of the times.

in the end, they were still better than us, but we forced a seventh game, so i'm not too disappointed (actually, i'm not disappointed at all that we lost).

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
there are still some of them that believe that he didn't play well because babcock put brown and hyman on his line, and that's the reason he couldn't anything going because they shut him down or something.
There are some that believe in Con Trails, Sasquatch and the Easter Bunny. That doesn't make them right.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People who think that players and coaches all get along very well and have no issues are living in a fairy tale world.

Shit happens. I'm sure Babcock and Matthews have their issues but they will work them out. I'd be disappointed if Matthews was just a "yes" man and just followed everything he was told. He's the face of this franchise and he should be able to voice his opinion.

I am sure we'll see more of Marner and Matthews together next year and if we don't and the Leafs fail to make noise in the playoffs, Babcock will be on the hot seat.

I don't really care about any issues between Babcock and Matthews because if the Leafs had to choose between the two they are choosing Matthews every single time. You can get anyone to coach the team but players like Matthews don't come around often.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kypreos retracts statement today. Its just his instincts telling him that now.

Maybe so but, it didn't need to be said if it wasn't factual. Facts Kypreos, facts.

He was being a sensationalist

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm sorry for being in the wrong team sub-forum for this, but I am curious.

I watched Matthews and the Leafs during the playoffs, and the amount of dumb questions thrown to Matthews was surprising. I was told that it was nothing unusual.

Then I look at Matthews, and the kid looks absolutely exhausted. Just exhausted.

Did he always look like that even from the beginning or is that something that gradually just happened? Like what is going on with the area below his eyes?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I'm sorry for being in the wrong team sub-forum for this, but I am curious.

I watched Matthews and the Leafs during the playoffs, and the amount of dumb questions thrown to Matthews was surprising. I was told that it was nothing unusual.

Then I look at Matthews, and the kid looks absolutely exhausted. Just exhausted.

Did he always look like that even from the beginning or is that something that gradually just happened? Like what is going on with the area below his eyes?

Was his first injury to the head I think. Never handled the puck or skated like he used to after that (gradual improvement over time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad