News Article: "Matthews denies rift with Babcock, wants to play with Marner more"

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
per the score Matthews denies rift with Babcock, wants to play with Marner more

Auston Matthews insists there's no tension between himself and head coach Mike Babcock.
"Our relationship is fine," the Toronto Maple Leafs star told reporters, including Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, at the club's dressing-room clean-out session Friday.

Matthews was presumably asked about it because Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos speculated Thursday morning that Babcock supposedly lost trust in Matthews down the stretch.

The 20-year-old center said that notion is totally untrue and that the media will speculate as they choose, adding that he wasn't pleased when he heard it being floated, according to TSN's Kristen Shilton.

On another note, Matthews acknowledged he doesn't make the lineup decisions but said he'd like to play with Mitch Marner more in the future, per Johnston.

Last edited:
Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Agreed that I'd like to see some Matthews-Marner action but I don't agree that he doesn't like playing with Hyman or even Brown.
Also think you're reading too much into this but hey that's all we got now since the season is over I guess.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
per the score Matthews denies rift with Babcock, wants to play with Marner more

So after finishing up the playoffs playing with 2 third liners in Hyman and Brown Matthews speak out. Seems like the best player wants doesn't want to play a grind em/low - no scoring type game you play when you have Hyman and Brown anchoring you. Might also be a little shot at Willy, although he praises their chemistry so that might be a bit of a stretch.

Didn't Datsyuk also tell Bab's to stop playing him with lesser talent? At least something along those lines.... Maybe it was Zetterberg I'm not too sure.
Hyman was probably the 2nd best forward for the leafs in the playoffs, personally i would much rather brown on my line than nylander... nah datsuk and zetterberg wanted babcock to play him with grinders that get them the puck.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I need to see interview. I don't trust our media to report on things honestly and not manufacture controversy. Was he asked about playing with Marner or did he offer that up on his own?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I just posted this yesterday:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/145187821/

Obviously it would have been nice if Matthews dominated... but he got our two least skilled wingers. I like Brown and I like Hyman now too, but compared to the other wingers in this game (Marner, Marleau / Johnsson, Nylander / JVR, Kapanen ) ... it's safe to say that Matthews basically got our "4th line" wingers. Maybe he was playing hurt... maybe not. The feeling I get (and it's just a feeling) is that Matthews is a bit frustrated having to play with Hyman and now also Brown... and that he's not on the #1 PP and does not get the ice time he needs. It just seems like it results in some frustration and him not having fun and it makes him play not as well. I notice that he will sometimes get fed up and just try to do it himself, but often shoots just a bit wide. I still think that Matthews is the best player in the NHL right now. Maybe he didn't look like it this series, but I wouldn't take anyone else over him.

I think for our team to be truly successful, we need to have Matthews - Marner on the same line (with someone like Johnsson or Marleau on the LW). We need a legit top line that is going to produce night in and night out. I think to really turn the corner, those two need to play together. Those two can create that magic spark that we really missed this series. With those two on the top line and having them score tons of goals and have lots of fun... it will be infectious. It's a lot more fun scoring goals with your buddy Marner than grinding it out in the corners with Hyman and Brown. Nylander should be #2 center and I think his competitive streak really elevate his game. Nylander is not going to like being outshined by Matthews and Marner, and he's going to step up his game to show everyone that we're not a one line team.

- Matthews - Marner
- Nylander - Kapanen
- Kadri - Brown
- - Hyman

^^^ this needs to be our template for next year.

my full post:

I still think our main problem is Babcock. I don't think he has ever got this team to play up to their potential.

I don't think he's the right coach for our team. I think he's probably just not a good coach anymore, period... but at the very least, he's not a good coach for our team. I think we had the Marleau - Kadri - Marner line playing really well near the end of the year, but that's about it. The Rielly - Hainsey pairing looked good in the first half of the year, but not as much in the second half (probably due to Babcock overworking Hainsey). But I never felt like any of our forward lines or D pairings really clicked other than the ones I just mentioned.

Lou has really dropped the ball on defense IMO. We could have really used an upgrade there. The Zaitsev signing is looking questionable. Doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for someone better than Polak.

I'm happy with Hunter and our scouts as I think he did a good job picking Dermott and finding Borgman.

Really disappointing game 7 from Gardiner. He was my favourite Leaf player for a long time and I've had this avatar since I created this account. I think I'll be changing it before the start of next season. I still think that Gardiner is the most in need of a Hainsey type of player, but regardless of who he was playing with... it was still a really horrible Game 7 for him. I was hoping that he would step up and become one of the best defenseman on the ice... instead he became one of the worst. Can't have that happen in such an important game. I still like Gardiner and I've seen how good he can play... but if we end up trading him or not re-signing him, I'm not going to object. I'm not going to defend that type of performance in a Game 7.

I've talked a lot of crap about Hyman over the last few years, and I think that's going to mostly stop now. He had a great series. Happy to have him on the Leafs. I think he has improved a lot over these last 2 years. I still think he would be better on the RW and in the bottom 6... but his playoff performance has won me over. He showed up when not a lot of others did and he has my respect for that. Effort was obviously never my problem with him, I always gave him credit for working hard every shift... but he also made some good plays.

Obviously it would have been nice if Matthews dominated... but he got our two least skilled wingers. I like Brown and I like Hyman now too, but compared to the other wingers in this game (Marner, Marleau / Johnsson, Nylander / JVR, Kapanen ) ... it's safe to say that Matthews basically got our "4th line" wingers. Maybe he was playing hurt... maybe not. The feeling I get (and it's just a feeling) is that Matthews is a bit frustrated having to play with Hyman and now also Brown... and that he's not on the #1 PP and does not get the ice time he needs. It just seems like it results in some frustration and him not having fun and it makes him play not as well. I notice that he will sometimes get fed up and just try to do it himself, but often shoots just a bit wide. I still think that Matthews is the best player in the NHL right now. Maybe he didn't look like it this series, but I wouldn't take anyone else over him.

I think for our team to be truly successful, we need to have Matthews - Marner on the same line (with someone like Johnsson or Marleau on the LW). We need a legit top line that is going to produce night in and night out. I think to really turn the corner, those two need to play together. Those two can create that magic spark that we really missed this series. With those two on the top line and having them score tons of goals and have lots of fun... it will be infectious. It's a lot more fun scoring goals with your buddy Marner than grinding it out in the corners with Hyman and Brown. Nylander should be #2 center and I think his competitive streak really elevate his game. Nylander is not going to like being outshined by Matthews and Marner, and he's going to step up his game to show everyone that we're not a one line team.

- Matthews - Marner
- Nylander - Kapanen
- Kadri - Brown
- - Hyman

^^^ this needs to be our template for next year.

Wont say much about Andersen, obviously not a good Game 7, but I'm still happy with him as our goalie. He had a great season and I still view him as a top 10 NHL goalie going forward.

Probably not going to post much this summer. Got too much stuff going on in real life to waste my time talking about something in the past. I'm sure I'll be ready to go in October, but for now, I've lost interest. I've said what I needed to say, and I'll leave it at that. I would also encourage the rest of you not to spend the next few months debating things we ultimately have no control over. Let's all take a much needed break, get stuff done in real life... and come back recharged in October.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Agreed that I'd like to see some Matthews-Marner action but I don't agree that he doesn't like playing with Hyman or even Brown.
Also think you're reading too much into this but hey that's all we got now since the season is over I guess.
That's probably true. I'm going to make a stealth edit. From the quote though, it seems he would rather be playing with Marner. You don't say stuff like that if you're fine with Hyman and Brown as your wingers, especially if you aren't asked about it.

Reactions: ToMaLe

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lol so they do have a disagreement about playing with Marner.

that's all fine and dandy but just to give few examples from other teams:

When the team is chasing the game Crosby-Malkin play together; Kane-Toews played together

The thing Mr. Babcock is that we acknowledge you want to win; however, if you had indeed won; these questions would not have been posed

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's probably true. I'm going to make a stealth edit. From the quote though, it seems he would rather be playing with Marner. You don't say stuff like that if you're fine with Hyman and Brown as your wingers, especially if you aren't asked about it.

it wasn't asked?
it was made to sound like it came up.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
wow, two friends wanna play together. that's never happened before...

honestly, when i was still playing sports (i quit, solely focusing on weightlifting), i always wanted to play with my friends and my friends wanted to play with me. that's how it is. the older i got, the more i realized that playing with your friends doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea and that it is helping your team to win.

and babcock is right for having his two best players (i'd like to say something about william, but i won't) on two different lines going against other lines. that's how it works. you want to have a balanced lineup. every team that has more than just three good players will have them on different lines. easy. and if you are frustrated playing with hyman and brown, then perhaps you should look for a different job than hockey.

and there are other things the organization has to address in the off-season, and it's not matthews and marner playing together.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
wow, two friends wanna play together. that's never happened before...

honestly, when i was still playing sports (i quit, solely focusing on weightlifting), i always wanted to play with my friends and my friends wanted to play with me. that's how it is. the older i got, the more i realized that playing with your friends doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea and that it is helping your team to win.

and babcock is right for having his two best players (i'd like to say something about william, but i won't) on two different lines going against other lines. that's how it works. you want to have a balanced lineup. every team that has more than just three good players will have them on different lines. easy. and if you are frustrated playing with hyman and brown, then perhaps you should look for a different job than hockey.

and there are other things the organization has to address in the off-season, and it's not matthews and marner playing together.

Well, Boston who just beat us and are conspired one of the favourites to come out of the East play their top 3 together on one line. Last time I checked, we did not win by spreading the offence too much around. Although, yes, offence was not our issue.

Reactions: Big Drama Show

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Well, Boston who just beat us and are conspired one of the favourites to come out of the East play their top 3 together on one line. Last time I checked, we did not win by spreading the offence too much around. Although, yes, offence was not our issue.
and? boston's other lines scored when their top line didn't. so they have other players that can step up if needed. mitch played with kadri and marleau (later plekanec) and was able to take over because cassidy couldn't shut all of our lines down. that's what you want, ultimately.
the bergeron line was extremely effective on the pp, that's another reason why they've got so many points. our team wasn't.

and i do not think that babcock should not load up lines when we're down (i believe we will get to see that sooner or later), but every team that is successful has a balanced lineup, e.g. pittsburgh, tampa, chicago etc. that's how it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad