News Article: Matthews can be even better, says Babcock (NHL network thinks he's already top 4)

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Of course he can be better. One of the few players in the league with shot at 50 goals next season.

I'm thinking we will see a larger percent increase in assists for Matthews next season compared to goals.

Perhaps if Marleau becomes a staple on his line it'll give him the opportunity to cash in on some of the chances he creates for his linemates.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Matthews looking to sign extension for 11M

I'll just leave this here; (I don't see any thread on the first page talking about this so)

We have a significant update about Auston Matthews and his future contract extension. The Toronto Maple Leafs' franchise player in the making looks to be getting rewarded immensely for his amazing rookie season last year.

Jamie Mirtle went on TSN 1050 Toronto and stated that Matthews will most likely be getting around 11 million per season. It is unclear about how long the extension will be for, but sources are speculating that it will be similar to Connor McDavid's contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Draisatl put up 77 points in 82 games & 16 points in 13 playoff games last year, and he got $8.5 m.

Matthews needs to take a step forward to match those numbers - I don't see how he's worth an extra 2.5 m over Draisatl YET. If he proves it next year, then sure.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Draisatl put up 77 points in 82 games & 16 points in 13 playoff games last year, and he got $8.5 m.

Matthews needs to take a step forward to match those numbers - I don't see how he's worth an extra 2.5 m over Draisatl YET. If he proves it next year, then sure.

its not all about points, Drai was sheltered on the wing most of the season and was his teams 2nd best player (at best) he isn't close to a comparable for Matthews.

Matthews is worth $2.5M more than draisatl to the leafs. If Edmonton didn't have McDavid then Draisatl would of got a lot more to be their 1C

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think he can sign for another year still. Is Matthew confused or whoever wrote the blog?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This thread is essentially a year early as the extension as be CBA is not allowed until Matthews is in the last year of his deal.

So this will happen summer 2018 after July 1st officially.

This upcoming season performance will therefore factor heavily into the demand and result and any current contract talk is just pure speculation at this point.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
1) Blocks essentially spam/not legit sources
2) Ya he probably is
3) Can't even sign extension for about another year from now

********** is a "spam website"? lol. no. not really no. (edit; oh neat, this website even blocks NONE links descriptions of the source???)

the source was TSN 1050 Jamie Mirtle...so that's about as credible as anyone else who ISN'T Auston Matthews, his agent or Lou Lamerello...

These boards make me lol sometimes.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
This thread is essentially a year early as the extension as be CBA is not allowed until Matthews is in the last year of his deal.

So this will happen summer 2018 after July 1st officially.

This upcoming season performance will therefore factor heavily into the demand and result and any current contract talk is just pure speculation at this point.

Everything is speculation until next year.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Eichel will be the better comparable. Drai gets to play with McDavid which inflates his numbers, he may produce like a 10M player but is he actually a 10M player without McJesus? Who knows, personally I think if Drai was centering his own line he would not have the production he does.

Whatever Eichel gets is what I expect Matthews to get or be in the ballpark range of.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Omg I just woke up! What year is it? Did I sleep in?
:laugh:

Calm down little noodle, someone from TSN is specualting that Matthews will want 11.

It's totally OK to discuss this a year early. Or you could go back to the typical HFboards crap regarding who is better...Auston Matthews or some dude from Edmonton. Assuming it's reasonable for Matthews to get 11. That would increase the values of Marner and Nylander.

The cap needs to increase.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
********** is a "spam website"? lol. no. not really no. (edit; oh neat, this website even blocks NONE links descriptions of the source???)

the source was TSN 1050 Jamie Mirtle...so that's about as credible as anyone else who ISN'T Auston Matthews, his agent or Lou Lamerello...

These boards make me lol sometimes.

Won't comment on whatever of yours was blocked, but it wasn't 'insider' information regarding the amount he'll sign for by Mirtle. It was simply an educated guess on his part. With how tight the leafs front office has been the last few years, I doubt we see much legitimate information regarding contracts aside from 'speculation'. Wouldn't think too hard about it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sounds about right.

With Nylander and Marner coming in around $8.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Calm down little noodle, someone from TSN is specualting that Matthews will want 11.

It's totally OK to discuss this a year early. Or you could go back to the typical HFboards crap regarding who is better...Auston Matthews or some dude from Edmonton. Assuming it's reasonable for Matthews to get 11. That would increase the values of Marner and Nylander.

The cap needs to increase.

Well the cap will do whatever so teams need to plan for what it is now.
Discussion is fine. A "what do you think Matthews will want" title might be a little more appropriate no big noodle?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sounds about right.

With Nylander and Marner coming in around $8.

I think they will watch what he can do over the next two seasons. If its under 85 efforts he ain't making over 9.5.

There are Crosby/McDavid and then the rest. If its going to be 120k per point for kids they better try and win a cup now and will need to trade one of the big 3.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I mentioned before that the budget for all three in terms of cap holds is likely ~$26MM.

Speculation blogs and click bait aside, no one should be surprised or worried by that figure for Matthews, or th figure that will be ultimately speculated on for Nylander in the next few weeks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I mentioned before that the budget for all three in terms of cap holds is likely ~$26MM.

Speculation blogs and click bait aside, no one should be surprised or worried by that figure for Matthews, or th figure that will be ultimately speculated on for Nylander in the next few weeks.

You're right. I think they will target 24m-26m for the 3. Outside of that, building a team will require 5-6 players making 1m or less and usually you fall short with that quality of player distribution.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think they will watch what he can do over the next two seasons. If its under 85 efforts he ain't making over 9.5.

There are Crosby/McDavid and then the rest. If its going to be 120k per point for kids they better try and win a cup now and will need to trade one of the big 3.

$11 + 8 +8 is $27m and that's just fine for an elite trio like this imo.

Of course, I bet you Lou sits down and convinces them to take less together.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Won't comment on whatever of yours was blocked, but it wasn't 'insider' information regarding the amount he'll sign for by Mirtle. It was simply an educated guess on his part. With how tight the leafs front office has been the last few years, I doubt we see much legitimate information regarding contracts aside from 'speculation'. Wouldn't think too hard about it.

I mean speculation could be anything from click bait "Floyd got knocked out in sparring" to "I overheard Matthews agent talking about numbers".

11 seems about right considering the market place now though. So any hope for 10 and under seems highly unlikely at this point. And I'll even go further and predict that Buffalo will sign Eickle to a redonkulous deal that may increase Matthew's worth beyond 11.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You're right. I think they will target 24m-26m for the 3. Outside of that, building a team will require 5-6 players making 1m or less and usually you fall short with that quality of player distribution.

The Penguins won the Stanley cup with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel at $25MM. Chicago the year before with Toews/Kane/Hossa at $26MM.

The Kings won it prior to that with their top three forwards only taking up less than $20MM, but they has a $7MM D man, which the Leafs don't.

The model can work just fine if executed properly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Penguins won the Stanley cup with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel at $25MM. Chicago the year before with Toews/Kane/Hossa at $26MM.

The Kings won it prior to that with their top three forwards only taking up less than $20MM, but they has a $7MM D man, which the Leafs don't.

pens won it without any contribution from their $7.25m Letang, no less.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

By executed well you mean... They better be deep and draft extremely well while knowing how to trade non core assets without hesitation and navigating the cap with swiss precision. Yeah, it can be done.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
By executed well you mean... They better be deep and draft extremely well while knowing how to trade non core assets without hesitation and navigating the cap with swiss precision. Yeah, it can be done.

It's almost like winning the cup should be hard or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad