News Article: Matthews can be even better, says Babcock (NHL network thinks he's already top 4)

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If we don't make any moves I think there is a good chance you could see...

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Martin
Leivo

I wouldn't be surprised if Hyman stayed on Matthews line and I could see Marleau taking JVR's spot on Marner's line to make the line better defensively. JVR on Kadri's line would give a little extra scoring punch.

What I would like to see is...

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Bozak-Nylander
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Hyman
Leivo/Martin

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Only affects 1/5th of players.

However what would be a step back for you?
How many of them will it really affect?

It is possible to have lesser totals, but be a better team.

it is possible that he puts up less points, the thing with the sophmore jynx is we have a bunch of rookies, while I think some will be better and some will be worse its bound to happen, but I believe we will be a better team this year, and I hope Matthews puts up 80 plus points...

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
A new GAR model was apparently published yesterday, Matthews ranked 11th among forwards. Relative to ice time, he was 8th.

DGFJHWAVwAAQ1dF.jpg

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
god help us...what if some one offer sheets Brown?

weird segway but was just looking at that possible line ups post...

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
A new GAR model was apparently published yesterday, Matthews ranked 11th among forwards. Relative to ice time, he was 8th.

DGFJHWAVwAAQ1dF.jpg

Hmm. Interesting, but not overly so . . .

I'd take Matthews over anyone ahead of him on that list other than McDavid and Crosby. And for our purposes right now, I'd take him over Crosby due to age/injuries etc.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

Doubt it happens, but I think it depends on the cost. If they offer any more than $3,925,975 per year, as much as I like Brown, I'll take a 1st and a 3rd personally... that's also why I doubt anyone would offer sheet him.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Like Babs said, it ain't about the points for him. He'll be matching up against the best so if he can shut 'em down then the secondary scoring of Nylander and Marner should be enough to win-win-win.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
So is this meaningful?

I've read Tavares had a poor season, and look where he is.
How about all the Bruins lined up very closely together.

It supports that Matthews was probably a top 10 forward in the league as a rookie. Not just offensive production, the whole package.

IMO he's the 4th best rookie since the lockout, only a step behind Ovie/Crosby/McDavid.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
oh man this board is going to implode when Marleau is in camp playing with Kadri.

I'm expecting Hyman to be Matthews' linemate. Hard to be disappointed when you have no expectations. :laugh:

DGFJHWAVwAAQ1dF.jpg

This is really interesting.

Do you have the original link for this.

Thanks.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The GAR models and such are interesting, but I never really use them unless for a project where I go through a ton of players.

GAR prides itself on being a much better predictor than any one other metric, but the thing is that most of those metrics are not supposed to be looked at alone. And the problem with a "one metric to rule them all"-kind of solution is that when there's a clear issue, you can't use it to figure out why the results seem inexplicably (un-)flattering. All the things you want to look at is buried inside an algorithm, and whatever you look at outside the metric runs the risk of being double used (forgot the term for that.)

Yesterday I had a discussion about Girgensons, who come across very badly in most metrics. I had said that he shouldn't be any higher than a teams fourth line, because a statistical analysis put him as a weak fourth liner. A poster challenged this, and when I dug deeper to find support for my case I found that he was actually right.

Girgensons numbers get tanked because he played on the fourth line with incredibly limited players that he couldn't carry, so he sunk with them. But when he was placed with skilled players in a complementary role, he was a boon for them all.

That poster was absolutely correct, and I was wrong. Being able to take the numbers apart and look for discrepancies led to that information. Not only that, but it highlighted additional information about what type of player Girgensons is and how to best use him, and it helped bridge impressions and analytics. That's why I'd prefer the statistical community to continue working on providing more tools, not seek the glory of the one solution, as it'll always be faulty without remedy.

Some things I'd like to see:
- Better xPDO (taking into account things like increased competition leading to lower expected save percentage, which isn't taken into account now)
- Better tools to assign credit (to figure out how much credit Tkachuk should have for doing great on a line that's always doing great)
- Better QoC metrics (because the ones we have now are flawed)
- xF% metric (because usage for faceoffs could illustrate the difference between a go-to guy and an ordinary center much better)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
19 year old can get even better?

The most interesting part about this article is Babcock being at the WJSS where Liljegren is playing right now and has impressed so far.

Impossible, after all, HF has told me that he fell to 17 for a reason....right???:laugh:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I assume you mean that Brown signs an offer sheet as opposed to someone just offering one. If so, then you take the picks and let the turncoat go. Signing a deal with another team means, to me, that you don't really want to be with your current team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I assume you mean that Brown signs an offer sheet as opposed to someone just offering one. If so, then you take the picks and let the turncoat go. Signing a deal with another team means, to me, that you don't really want to be with your current team.

At the same time, if the Leafs are offering the guy 3ish and a team comes in with a 4ish million per offer pretty hard to blame a guy for taking that type of deal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If we don't make any moves I think there is a good chance you could see...

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Martin
Leivo

I wouldn't be surprised if Hyman stayed on Matthews line and I could see Marleau taking JVR's spot on Marner's line to make the line better defensively. JVR on Kadri's line would give a little extra scoring punch.

What I would like to see is...

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Bozak-Nylander
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Hyman
Leivo/Martin

There is 0% chance JVR plays with Kadri. He's our shutdown center, and JVR is a tire fire in his own zone who floats. He will neuter the line defensively while probably not ever meaningfully bumping their offensive production.

I think this is JVR's last chance. Come to camp and have a career year and play both sides of the puck, or watch the Leafs contend for a cup from another city.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
At the same time, if the Leafs are offering the guy 3ish and a team comes in with a 4ish million per offer pretty hard to blame a guy for taking that type of deal.

The Brown camp has already let it be known they will not even consider an offer sheet, Browny bleeds blue. The born in Ontario count on this team is becoming respectable.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Brown camp has already let it be known they will not even consider an offer sheet, Browny bleeds blue. The born in Ontario count on this team is becoming respectable.

Once again, I object to this desire for "Toronto born" or "Ontario born" players on the grounds that it is an insult to all the great Leafs who came from outside those areas.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Of course he can be better. One of the few players in the league with shot at 50 goals next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad