News Article: Matthews can be even better, says Babcock (NHL network thinks he's already top 4)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's a competitive guy and he expects to take a step this year and we do as well," Babcock said between games at the World Junior Summer Showcase on Sunday. "I don't measure guys by points, I measure guys by how they play and how they compete every day and how much better they get in their determination. We're excited to see what he can do. He feels he's a real good player and wants to be one of the best players in the game."

https://www.nhl.com/news/auston-mat...-coach-mike-babcock/c-290543868?tid=277548856

NHL Networks says top 4:
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...ews-mark-scheifele/1wq4ie6fby45n1g5ol0dd8p2tk

Last edited by a moderator:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I agree with Babcock, Matthews will improve and won't suffer a Sophomore Jinx, with Marleau joining the Leafs and getting some playing time with him, Matthews has a good mentor and will excel like many line mates have with Marleau on their wing.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
19 year old can get even better?

The most interesting part about this article is Babcock being at the WJSS where Liljegren is playing right now and has impressed so far.

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
Hope he doesn't improve too much until we get him locked up for 8 years. I don't want a Mcdavid contract. Worth it? Yes for see but handcuffs the team at some point for sure

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I agree with Babcock, Matthews will improve and won't suffer a Sophomore Jinx, with Marleau joining the Leafs and getting some playing time with him, Matthews has a good mentor and will excel like many line mates have with Marleau on their wing.

that sophmore jynx thing scares me lol, but I think he will take a step with Marleau for sure

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Barring injuries, there's no reason why his career shouldn't continue in an upward trajectory for several years.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he put up those stats playing with hyman all season, and a lot with brown, and then willie

he should be playing a lot with marleau and either marner or nylander this season, and to go along with his individual improvements...man a ppg season doesnt sound crazy

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
What is he suppose to say, he can get worse? He's like 18 and just finished his first year in the NHL. Of course he will continue to get better. That's what makes it scary.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
oh man this board is going to implode when Marleau is in camp playing with Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad