Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract - Part II

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That's because teams usually ante up and pay their star players to lock them up. It's only a problem when they do not, that's when you get into an offer sheet situation. 13 offer sheets have been successful from my count since this came into inception. I would not say this never works.
how many of those 13 were in the top compensation category?

Reactions: coupe93

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
By saying merely having good players is a low bar to qualify as good times? I consider championships “good times”. I haven’t been able to experience good times in my nearly 30 years of nhl watching.
You need to lower your standards...i don't wish the Leafs decade of decadence on anyone, but if your Nucks go through what the mid 2000's-2014 Leafs went through...you will quickly understand why we are happy right now.:laugh:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We're signing all 3. This board will have a conipschit

Maybe for an hour.. Then people will just keep beating the drum on the defense even harder.

Even if they managed to poof a top RD out of thin air, the narrative would either be that the defense still sucked and needed 2-3 more pieces and/or the depth isn't good enough to win.

Neither are founded in reality but then again this debate isn't either. 0 Chance he gets 12.5+

Feb 24, 2017
You need to lower your standards...i don't wish the Leafs decade of decadence on anyone, but if your Nucks go through what the mid 2000's-2014 Leafs went through...you will quickly understand why we are happy right now.:laugh:
Man, if Vancouver misses this year’s playoffs, and they will, it’s their first ever time missing 5 of 6. Granted, it was easier to avoid this streak in a lesser populated league, but still.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Based on what? No one will have a higher aav than mcdavid ans especially not an rfa.
If Matthews gets 13 it’s cause he scored 60G and 110+ pts with a conn smythe trophy to go with his hart and art Ross
I've seen the bolded comment a few times already.

Hopefully you're aware that McDavid got his contract as an RFA, so the rationale behind the comment is, well... irrational.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Get over it.

nbc_nhl_mathewbarzalwin_180620_1920x1080.jpg

I'm getting there...

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I get the feeling Matthews is going to sign a 5-6 year deal. This would keep the AAV lower in the short(ish) term for the Leafs (buying only 1-2 years of UFA should be less than 4 years UFA), and would allow Matthews to still sign another big contract when this one ends.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Hopefully you're aware that McDavid got his contract as an RFA, so the rationale behind the comment is, well... irrational.

No it's not. He's saying the only way someone gets more than McDavid is if circumstances are different, like UFA.

Tavares would have the highest AAV in the league if he signed with San Jose. But since a RFA is in the same situation McDavid was in, it's tough to see anyone successfully negotiating a bigger deal considering what McDavid had accomplished when he signed.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
I get the feeling Matthews is going to sign a 5-6 year deal. This would keep the AAV lower in the short(ish) term for the Leafs (buying only 1-2 years of UFA should be less than 4 years UFA), and would allow Matthews to still sign another big contract when this one ends.

It wouldnt make much sense for the Leafs IMO, hed still be asking for around 10 million for 5-6 years. Why do that when you can throw him an extra mil or two and get him for 8 years. I can see that with Marner/Nylander but not Matthews.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
10.5x8 seems right to me, seems like it's the consensus here as well. It's slightly more than Eichel whom is his closest comparable and will likely be front loaded with bonuses so better value than Eichel's contract as well. He's only getting bonus on select years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If Matthews hits 40 goals again and goes ppg+ this coming season, it will happen.

If Matthews gets paid more than McDavid, a nuclear bomb is going off in the hockey world. You're welcome to your opinion of course (however weird it may be), but how an agent can prove any player is worth more than McDavid would be a sight to behold and a presentation I'd love to get my hands on. Some hot takes, no doubt. Honestly though, if that's your pitch as an agent, you're gonna get fired.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Matthews gets paid more than McDavid, a nuclear bomb is going off in the hockey world. You're welcome to your opinion of course (however weird it may be), but how an agent can prove any player is worth more than McDavid would be a sight to behold and a presentation I'd love to get my hands on. Some hot takes, no doubt. Honestly though, if that's your pitch as an agent, you're gonna get fired.
Exactly. I'm not even sure how Matthews' agent will pitch for anything over 11, he should get a tad more than Eichel, but he shouldn't sniff McDavid territory.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

And in Matthews case were also talking about an rfa. Tavares is as close to a top player hitting ufa as we’ve seen and he got 11. Maybe Karlsson next summer gets 13m, but then you’re comparing a forward to a D man who plays half the game and produces like a Forward. I still stand by my statement that it will take someone outstanding to usurp McD as the highest paid aav

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
My thought is all of them sign for 7 to 8yrs. Jt specifically asked Kyle how we intended on keeping that young core together..so we obviously can and will as Kyle said. I feel like all 3 or minimum 2 of those guys get bonus hefty deals and therefore lockout protected. No rush..when you know for a fact all 3 want to be here for the long haul. As dubas also basically said...patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad