Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract - Part II

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't see why, it's expected. There can't be anyone with a clue who thinks the Leafs won't sign all 3.

Dubas was directly asked if he could manage to sign everyone during the Tavares presser and he said quite candidly that it was no problem.

I'd post a video or something but it's too much bother (I'm old and don't care that much)

Also, people are still talking about offer sheets? wow.

It would be nice if the rest of this thread were simply every poster putting in a prediction on what Matthews AAV will be when he re-signs with the Leafs for 8 years.

$10.5 sounds pretty logical.

What you guys got?

I'm a Leafs fan, so obviously I'm hoping for something like $9.99m just for the media impact, even though that is $10m

Reactions: The Big D

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas was directly asked if he could manage to sign everyone during the Tavares presser and he said quite candidly that it was no problem.

I'd post a video or something but it's too much bother (I'm old and don't care that much)

It would be nice if the rest of this thread were simply every poster putting in a prediction on what Matthews AAV will be when he re-signs with the Leafs for 8 years.

What you guys got?

I'm a Leafs fan, so obviously I'm hoping for something like $9.99m just for the media impact, even though that is $10m
I wouldn't expect Dubas to announce that he couldn't sign all 3, common sense dictates that he will.
Offer sheets are just foolish wishful thinking.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would say that’s because there hasn’t been a guy worth doing it for. Is Matthews? I don’t know. Probably the one that makes the most sense.

As for the guy who thinks the Leafs are somehow above other teams doing it to them I don’t know what to tell you. But I do enjoy the arrogance of it.

Anyway, it’s fun to speculate. Player movement is good for the league. We should all embrace it!

There’s nothing arrogant sbout pointing out that a player hasn’t signed an offersheet in 5 years, and there have only been 9 signed in the past 20 years. They simply arent a normal part of the average offseason and there’s nothing abnormal about the current offseason to suggest it will be any different

Reactions: weems

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That is not the point.

If you are right, and I suspect you are, it simply means that the Matthews camp is already aware of what the cap might be and base their demands on that number.

15% of let's say $82M is $12.3M.

Unless you do not believe that Matthews % should not be at a mid-point between Eichel and McDavid.
Those two were signed with the knowledge the cap would be rising significantly because of Vegas coming into the league, I still don’t see a reason why anyone would get paid more than mcdavid while he’s the face of the league. It kinda puts an artificial cap on what guys can get. I also don’t see a team like Toronto throwing cap structure out the window when you have the benchmark in JT signed for $11, everyone who wears blue and white will fall under him until someone shows they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than he is, which Matthews has not done to this point in time.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Those two were signed with the knowledge the cap would be rising significantly because of Vegas coming into the league, I still don’t see a reason why anyone would get paid more than mcdavid while he’s the face of the league. It kinda puts an artificial cap on what guys can get. I also don’t see a team like Toronto throwing cap structure out the window when you have the benchmark in JT signed for $11, everyone who wears blue and white will fall under him until someone shows they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than he is, which Matthews has not done to this point in time.

Well now you've opened up a can of worms right?

You just said Matthews is not as good as Tavares, no?

So you think Matthews should get less than veteran Tavares?

I agree with that which is why I think Matthews will come in at less than Tavares at $10.5m aav.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015

What you guys got?

I still see him wanting and asking for being on the same level as Tavares. Eventhough he is only 2 years in, I just feel he's that good.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If Matthews hits 40 goals again and goes ppg+ this coming season, it will happen.
Based on what? No one will have a higher aav than mcdavid ans especially not an rfa.
If Matthews gets 13 it’s cause he scored 60G and 110+ pts with a conn smythe trophy to go with his hart and art Ross

Reactions: KapG

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Well now you've opened up a can of worms right?

You just said Matthews is not as good as Tavares, no?

So you think Matthews should get less than veteran Tavares?

I agree with that which is why I think Matthews will come in at less than Tavares at $10.5m aav.

Honestly I think part of the Tavares contract was to have him as a cap ceiling the same way Detroit had with Lidstrom. Get a high end vet who works harder than anyone else on the team, and it gets real uncomfortable to ask for more money than he's getting.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly I think part of the Tavares contract was to have him as a cap ceiling the same way Detroit had with Lidstrom. Get a high end vet who works harder than anyone else on the team, and it gets real uncomfortable to ask for more money than he's getting.

That's interesting. Matthews at his current production is worth around 10.5 million

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think Matthews can power past that uncomfortable feeling in the name of an extra mill or so per year.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I expect him to re-sign, but it would be pretty cool to see him leave as an RFA just so I can tell Leafs fans to "get over it". That's exactly what you'll want to hear if it happens, I assure you. Truly a great experience.
Get over it.

Feb 24, 2017
Your honour, if I may direct your attention to exhibit A.
By saying merely having good players is a low bar to qualify as good times? I consider championships “good times”. I haven’t been able to experience good times in my nearly 30 years of nhl watching.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There’s nothing arrogant sbout pointing out that a player hasn’t signed an offersheet in 5 years, and there have only been 9 signed in the past 20 years. They simply arent a normal part of the average offseason and there’s nothing abnormal about the current offseason to suggest it will be any different
That's because teams usually ante up and pay their star players to lock them up. It's only a problem when they do not, that's when you get into an offer sheet situation. 13 offer sheets have been successful from my count since this came into inception. I would not say this never works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->