Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The signing bonus thing gives players lockout protection, but it also allows players to get most of their money taxed all at once I would think. Instead of paying tax on the entire salary for each city they play in, wouldn't they pay taxes on their $1 million salary? Allowing them to pay taxes on the bulk of their salary in the home teams state or province. That sounds like a sweet deal for guys playing for a Florida team, but for a Canadian player I'd want to pay US tax rates as much as possible.
Getting a lump sum of like 15 million dollars that can be invested and utilized up front is more valuable then the tax breaks I would imagine. He would still be paying the majority of his taxes in Canada regardless.

Reactions: BM14

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Murray comfortable with getz... leafs realized matthews was born and destined to lose... hence why he was drafted by the leafs... tavares is their hopeful balance.

It's going to be painful for you over the next 10 years. Leafs will be yearly cup threats and your team will be in limbo for half of it while the stars age and then bottom feeders the next as they all become cap dumps preventing you from rebuilding.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I figure 8x11 plus a brand new set of Leafs sheets with not only the matching pillowcases but a comforter as well...the comforter could be the hitch though...

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
JVR said Dubas told him they weren't signing him weeks before free agency.

What I'm expecting, Tavares' UFA deal should make 11 the absolute limit and likely will be a direct comparable of 'that's UFA $, here's RFA $ for you'

I love how HF sometimes says Matthews isn't a top 15 C and then other times says he should settle at the 2nd highest RFA contract amount

Does the team a solid? Yeah, maybe the Tampa Bay Lightning team.
Look I am not a leaf fan, but I hope for the Leafs that Matthews does them a solid. More competition makes better hockey to watch. As much I don't like the Leafs, I don't want to see any team fail or get handcuffed.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Why would Matthews take a bridge contract when he can sign for 8 years, anything under 10 million per year is a discount for the Leafs. If he takes a bridge deal then he risks a possibility of an injury and lost money left on the table.
Bridge deal keeps costs lower for the next couple years. Also like I said, Nylander and Marner's contracts are also dependant on Matthews. A bridge deal will still get him paid, he will get full contract later, and the Leafs can keep a top centre in the league for another 10 or 11 years instead of 8

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
The bridge deal talk is a little absurd. If they're talking contract right now, it's all about locking him up long-term. If they can get him to sign an 8x11 they'd do it. Probably better that than him having another solid season and be looking at 12 or 12.5 per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad