Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
8 x 12 isn't unreasonable.
Tavares and Mathews are going to eat up 25% or more of their cap. Elite talents to be sure, but hockey is a team sport, and that team includes more than just offense.
by your comment you mean 8x12 is unreasonable?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
bozak a jvr left so how good can it be.
JVR said Dubas told him they weren't signing him weeks before free agency.
8years x 10m
What I'm expecting, Tavares' UFA deal should make 11 the absolute limit and likely will be a direct comparable of 'that's UFA $, here's RFA $ for you'
I feel like he'll settle at 11 million. Be co-faces-of-the-franchise with Tavares, at an equal AAV.
I love how HF sometimes says Matthews isn't a top 15 C and then other times says he should settle at the 2nd highest RFA contract amount
He doesn't seem like the type to try to gouge Toronto. If he wants Toronto to win, he might take a bridge. Would help the franchise get some more pieces to win. The problem that may arise, is that his contract will give a rough idea to Marner and Nylander what they are worth to the team. The higher Matthews signs, the higher Marner and Nylander come in. So hopefully he does the team a solid and doesn't take a "Hometown discount" like McDavid did and pretty much aim for max contract.
Does the team a solid? Yeah, maybe the Tampa Bay Lightning team.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
As for the contract, I expect 11X8, but the Leafs may be willing to do things to get it down which other NHL teams can't or won't do.

For example, if the Leafs gave the exact same term and total money Eichel got, but paid mostly up front, with almost none of his money in yearly salary but in signing bonus, for anyone who has competent money management and investors would be much better off. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar in 5 years. Its why while JT and Doughty's deal are almost identical for the first 7 years in total money paid, that JT's contract is probably significantly more valuable to anyone who has competent money management.

For example, if the NHL is on strike or in a lockout in 2021 Eichel only gets 3/4th of his salary, Leafs would probably fully guarantee that year with a pittance of a yearly salary of 600k (pittance in NHL terms). Eichel gets 10m this year, and pretty much 10m every season. The Leafs could probably pay Matthews 45 million in the first 3 years.

The signing bonus thing gives players lockout protection, but it also allows players to get most of their money taxed all at once I would think. Instead of paying tax on the entire salary for each city they play in, wouldn't they pay taxes on their $1 million salary? Allowing them to pay taxes on the bulk of their salary in the home teams state or province. That sounds like a sweet deal for guys playing for a Florida team, but for a Canadian player I'd want to pay US tax rates as much as possible.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Probably closer to a million more on those numbers imo.
Disagree. As per a fellow poster in regards to Marner and Nylander:

Drouin signed jun 15 2017, 6 years, 5.5m = 5.83m with 6% cap increase
Ehlers signed oct 4 2017, 7 years, 6m = 6.36m with 6% cap increase
Huberdeau signed sep 6 2016, 6 years, 6.3m = 6.82m with 8.18% cap increase
Forsberg signed jun 27 2016, 6 years, 6m = 6.49m with 8.18% cap increase
Gaudreau signed oct 10, 2016, 6 years, 6.75m = 7.3m with 8.18% cap increase
Pastrnak signed sep 14 2017, 6 years, 6.66m = 7.06m with 6% cap increase

Of these, Forsberg, Gaudreau & Pastrnak all scored 30+ in their final ELC year. And 2 of the 3 were near a point per game. They represent the absolute ceiling for where a Nylander contract could go, but Gaudreau/Pastrnak are both likely above.

If you average Drouin, Ehlers, Huberdeau, & Gaudreau's adjusted cap you'll get 6.375m slighty adjust for the fact that Nylander/Marner has been a bit more productive over 2 first seasons then Drouin/Ehlers were and make it 6.5m

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The signing bonus thing gives players lockout protection, but it also allows players to get most of their money taxed all at once I would think. Instead of paying tax on the entire salary for each city they play in, wouldn't they pay taxes on their $1 million salary? Allowing them to pay taxes on the bulk of their salary in the home teams state or province. That sounds like a sweet deal for guys playing for a Florida team, but for a Canadian player I'd want to pay US tax rates as much as possible.
It makes any deal effectively buy out proof. I'm not sure what it does to tax rate, but there is a reason JT structured his deal like that. Otherwise, we could have just put it fully into salary for the non-potential lock-out years. So, just structure Matthews first year as 15m salary, and then 15m bonus in 2020-21, 15M salary in 2021-22, then revert to signing bonus primarily for 2022-23 (as that is the year the CBA expires if they don't opt out). Until the CBA is altered, there are always ways to front-load the deals in creative ways. I would think if there was a significant tax disadvantage to getting it in signing bonus, Brisson who is one of the best agents in the industry wouldn't have structured it that way.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
bozak a jvr left so how good can it be.
To be fair, Toronto walked from both of them - JvR before he had a chance to walk form them and Bozak they were open with him that'd bring him back only if JT didn't sign, so can't blame him for not wanting to sit around waiting when they were other suitors.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

If players. especially high priced players, were paying personal income rates, it would be factor. But athletes (entertainers) can shelter their money in corporations. I don't know much about US tax law, but in Canada, a persons place of residence is more important for personal tax rates than where he makes the money. Unfortunately people look at sites and see "maximum tax rates", for different jurisdictions which are almost meaningless.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
He doesn't seem like the type to try to gouge Toronto. If he wants Toronto to win, he might take a bridge. Would help the franchise get some more pieces to win. The problem that may arise, is that his contract will give a rough idea to Marner and Nylander what they are worth to the team. The higher Matthews signs, the higher Marner and Nylander come in. So hopefully he does the team a solid and doesn't take a "Hometown discount" like McDavid did and pretty much aim for max contract.
Why would Matthews take a bridge contract when he can sign for 8 years, anything under 10 million per year is a discount for the Leafs. If he takes a bridge deal then he risks a possibility of an injury and lost money left on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad