Prospect Info: Matthew Wood - RW | 15th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Disagree. People who think that invariably don’t watch college football. If they did, they would see that it’s just as good a product as college football, if not better.
See you only think that because you watch college football. I think if you’d give college football a try you’d realize that college football is far superior to college football.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
This! This is one of the reasons I love this board. Where else will you find a good, open honest debate on whether college football is better than college football on a thread opened to talk about a hockey prospect named wood that might be a pretty good tight end if he played college football or played the other college football.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I was looking at Wood's numbers the other day. They were pretty bad, anyone seen him play much this season?

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I was looking at Wood's numbers the other day. They were pretty bad, anyone seen him play much this season?
Wood's skating is a concern, which is why I wouldn't have wanted to use a 1st-round pick on him. I'm not saying it's impossible he'll become a good NHL player, but this is something that could really hold him back.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
NHL drafts are insanely hard to predict past the top 5.
Wood is looking like a Mid Tier prospect while Molendyk is looking like a steal. I have always thought the 2 biggest attributes for a player is Hockey IQ (different from regular IQ I could care less if he can do advanced Calculus) and Skating. I am not sure that Wood checks these boxes.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Drafting woods in my opinion was a mistake right when we drafted him. Trotz stated he wanted to get faster and then hired a coach that likes a fast game then drafted a slow player that didn’t even play the position we needed(center) I was excited when Oliver Moore fell, because he was faster and mainly a center, just to see a pass him to draft a right wing. And in my opinion he wasn’t even the best right winger on the board at the time. That would be Perreault who is looking like a steal to the rangers at 21. I looked at the mid season top 100 prospects and woods was 51st while Moore and perreault were both top 20. Even musty(26th) and sandin-pellika(17th) was well above woods in the ranking. Trotz has to fire poiles scouts and go find his own if he wants his drafts to get better.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I mean after scoring at a ppg clip in his draft year he has 16 pts in 24 games.

There may be more to the story but this a pretty concering regression
A PPG pace means he would have 24 points. A difference of 8 points. Is 8 points really a concern? He is on pace to have the same number of goals this year as last. The difference is in his assists total. Alot of things can contribute to that. What kind of linemates does he have this year compared to last, is he getting power play time, etc.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
A PPG pace means he would have 24 points. A difference of 8 points. Is 8 points really a concern? He is on pace to have the same number of goals this year as last. The difference is in his assists total. Alot of things can contribute to that. What kind of linemates does he have this year compared to last, is he getting power play time, etc.
At a glance the team is playing much worse than last year, which will undoubtedly affect his production.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
he is only playing at a .5 ppg pace over the last 10

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Having watched a few games of him this year, here are my notes:

- We knew going in that he was going to be a project. His skating has improved, his straight-line speed is actually quite good but his four-way movement is lacking. This will never be a strength of his, but skating isn't Jason Robertson's strong suit either.

- His support cast at UConn isn't overly impressing. I believe there's only 2 or 3 NHL draftees in that lineup.

- What I have found most irritating in his game that he seems disengaged far too often. He needs to learn some aggressiveness and to use his big body to his advantage. Thus far, I'm not seeing much in that sector.

- What Wood has shown before is his undeniable scoring ability. It's not always pretty but he just seems to get the job done. At the U20's he was mainly the 13th forward but still put up 4 points in 5 games.

- I believe what he needs is some tough coaching and some better linemates. He's not really a driver on his line because of his skating, but rather a finisher of plays. Needless to say, if that type of player isn't surrounded by adequate talent, the results will lack.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
NHL drafts are insanely hard to predict past the top 5.
Wood is looking like a Mid Tier prospect while Molendyk is looking like a steal. I have always thought the 2 biggest attributes for a player is Hockey IQ (different from regular IQ I could care less if he can do advanced Calculus) and Skating. I am not sure that Wood checks these boxes.

Wait. Are you telling me the Preds might have whiffed on a forward pick but did well on a defenseman pick?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wood is still 18 years old (well he turns 19 in a few days). Just being where he is at that age is impressive. We all knew about the skating when we picked him, and I don't doubt he is doing good work on his overall leg strength to help his straight ahead speed. Now he needs to add in some of that fine-tuning with edge work and maneuverability. It's learnable. He's 6'4"/200... if he didn't have some of these things to work on there is no way we would have ever had a shot at drafting him in the first place. He would have been a top-5 pick if his skating was as good as folks are wishing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad