Prospect Info: Matthew Wood - RW | 15th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I could see him at UConn 1 more year then start his slow transition with the AHL, but I think 2 years at UConn would be my guess for most likely.
Trotz said the plan was to "let him develop"

I'd say that means 2 years at UConn, but sign him before he graduates and could go UFA

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can't let him sit in college for too long but development is what the AHL is for.
I think the nice thing about college... especially for him at his younger age, and in need of physical development, is that there's just more time for him to work on things. The pro schedule is a lot more games, fewer practices, less time for the gym. Whereas if he stays in college, he plays like 30-some games, doesn't have the travel, and can spend more of that time working on things outside of games.

At his current pace, he might get "too good" to stay there, of course, just in terms of the level of competition. But we can just wait and play it by ear.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I also like the idea of a guy who obviously loves doing intellectual activities to have an opportunity to get at least some college education.

Reactions: PredsV82

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I sure hope this kid gets his skating sorted out. He could be something special like tkachuk potentially. Here’s to hoping..

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruin fan living on Vancouver Island coming in peace. Got to watch Matthew many times live here when he played for the Victoria Grizzlies, you will love this kid, hard worker, skill for days, isn`t super physical but nor does he shy from it, he`ll need to put on a bit of bulk but not a ton.

guessing another year at UCONN then likely makes the jump

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He said he models his game after Tage Thompson. If he turns out anything like him, then our longterm 1C dilemma is solved
I could see that. By no stretch of the imagination are either of them considered fast but they can get to places.

Like when Trotz was describing O'Reilly, "he may not look fast but trust me when the puck is there for the taking, he can get there fast".

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hadn't realized Ethan Haider transferred to UConn also. I guess players moving around is becoming more common in the NCAA now without the redshirt year anymore. I see Alexander Campbell had a great 1st game in his new digs in Northeastern also. Both of them bailed on Clarkson for their senior years.

I suspect we're going to have some pretty big numbers in our prospect pool this year. Stats-watching will be more fun than ever.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Some of our college players are off to a good start.

Campbell: 2G 1A in 1 game played
Fink: 1A in 1 game played
Fontaine: 2A in 1 game played
Ingram: 1G 1A in 2 game played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad