Prospect Info: Matthew Wood - RW | 15th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Love this pick!! Love it!!
Not so crazy about the other first rounder, but riding a high off this one!
Welcome to smashville Matthew!!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
After researching him thanks to the little mock draft we had, I really found a lot of things I liked about Wood, so, even with a bunch of other very good options on the board for us at #15, I was happy we went with him. He just seems to have a real knack on offense. And the size we need. And he can work on the skating.

But I guess the thing that probably stood out most to me actually was how smooth and mature he sounded in a couple interviews, he seemed like a really intelligent and articulate young man, and I feel like if he's got that, and you know he is already playing at 17 in the NCAA after accelerating his academics, he's going to be an easier case to work with on those skating issues. I think that's the kind of thing that makes you hopeful that he'll really be able to understand and apply some of the instruction he gets on that front.

I don't buy into any of the suggestions that he could shift back to center. That seems too far-fetched to me. But with him and Schaefer now we're going to be among the league leaders in gingers one day.

Reactions: hn777 and maplepred

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Looking at the highlights they showed tonight he seems like a sniper/good shooter

Gimme more of that.

I'm imagining him and Kemell on the PP....

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
matthew wood was prob my favorite prospect outside of Cristall and Musty… I think he will be our Tage Thompson

Knowing some mocks/rankings had him in the top 10 and as high as 5 reaffirms my position

This line up will be sick in a few years

Wood-Novak-Evangelista
Forsberg-parsinnnen-kemell
L’Hereux-glass-Tomasino
afanasyev-svechkov-Gunnerwolfe fontaine

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Now that the dust has settled, let me give me take on this pick:

Obviously, I was very high on Wood going into the draft. I actually had him in my top-ten.

I fell in love with him at the U18's, where he was clearly Canada's best player, far above the likes of Barlow, Cristall, Ritchie and even Celebrini. In that tournament especially, I think he showed that he's not just a shooter but he can score in every which way and create for others as well. He seems to have that "it" factor, that I don't think ultimately many in this draft had. If he can learn to use his body even more, look out.

Above all, he's got a good head on his shoulders. He went to NCAA as an underager (which is something that probably doesn't happen too often?) and listed brain games as his hobby in his draft profile. You can't teach Hockey IQ.

You also don't go to NCAA as a 17-year-old and lead your team in points if you're not special. He had 34 points in 35 games, at UConn with virtually no help whereas Fantilli had 65 points in 36 games in a powerhouse Michigan team including Luke Hughes, McGroarty, Brindley and Samoskevich to name a few.

The skating concerns are real, but let's face it - at 6-4 he's never going to be a speedburner and his skating will never be one of his strengths. And like we discussed in the other thread, he's only a couple of years away from his huge growth spurt, where he grew 9 inches in two years. So it's understandable his skating is just now getting caught up. This is actually the same reason Rinne's development took longer than usual.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Where did you get this?
I feel like it has been speculated a fair bit? And for sure, it can't hurt to try. But with that skating... I just don't know if I see it working out at the NHL level. Still, there is just no harm to us if that experiment runs, it doesn't matter if the odds are long.

The way he shields the puck in traffic and also makes some very nice passes, there are some similarities to non-burner centers like Johansen and Parssinen there, even if the rest of their games aren't so comparable.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So what's the expected timeline on Wood? Obviously he's back at UCONN this season, but do we expect him to come over at the end of the season? I assume with him needing to develop his skating more that he may take a bit longer of the development front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad