Matthew Tkachuk vs Johnny Gaudreau

Matthew Tkachuk vs Johnny Gaudreau

• Matthew Tkachuk

• Johnny Gaudreau

Results are only viewable after voting.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is from the Calgary Flames perceptive.

Who do you think has more value to the Calgary Flames, taking into account, the contracts, age, playing styles and who would sign long term in Calgary.

Which player makes more sense for the Calgary Flames to keep and sign long term?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Gaudreau by an absolute mile. He's shown he produce with almost anyone.

Gaudreau’s definitely better, but he doesn’t fit their timeline. Honestly Tkachuk probably doesn’t even fit their timeline either, they need to completely tear it down.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Both looked pretty bad at times, Gaudreau turned it around more. Tkachuk has more upside but still not sure if his hockey IQ will allow him to get near a Stone level player, he was trying a lot of silly low percentage things for offence.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Pretty easily Tkachuk lol. Better, way younger, isnt a UFA next year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gaudreau sold off in a sign and trade or as a rental, but would be shocked to see Tkachuk go. Guy is probably the face of that team and their best player/asset.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pretty easily Tkachuk lol. Better, way younger, isnt a UFA next year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gaudreau sold off in a sign and trade or as a rental, but would be shocked to see Tkachuk go. Guy is probably the face of that team and their best player/asset.
So you'd pay him his $9M qualifying offer?

Tkachuk is nowhere near the flames best player lol.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So you'd pay him his $9M qualifying offer?

Tkachuk is nowhere near the flames best player lol.
Would rather give him a long term deal. But 9 million for 1 year isnt the end of the world.

Debatable with Lindholm but I think Tkachuk is the best and brings the most to the table. Very unique player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would rather give him a long term deal. But 9 million for 1 year isnt the end of the world.

Debatable with Lindholm but I think Tkachuk is the best and brings the most to the table. Very unique player.
It's not at all debatable. Lindholm and Gaudreau are both significantly better.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Except that Gaudreau is the way better player and playoff performer.

I mean your not wrong about the playoffs.. but 19pts/30gp isnt a stat that you go around beating your chest about though... They are both well below their expectations in that regard...

Tkachuk is like 5 years younger and has only played 15 games, some of which he was hurt in if Im not mistaken... And history tells us unequivocally that players like Tkachuk are typically far more valuable in the playoffs, especially the deeper the team goes.

There are some special smaller players like Marty St. Louis, Patty Kane, Paul Karyia ect, that have proven that they can overcome their diminutive stature and still own the ice in the playoffs at fight through the physicality of it all.

But JG is still very much a one-dimensional finesse player with a game mostly based around highly creative perimeter play. And hes not money in the bank in the playoffs by any standard, at least as of today. Hes an electric player when hes on his game, but invisible and not really engaged anywhere else on the ice when hes not scoring...

He would be fantastic in a Kessel to Pittsburgh like scenario imo (maybe the current oilers lol?) - and I dont doubt he could do well in that kind of position.

But if Kessel is the gold standard for one-dimensional goal scoring wingers, and Mike Hoffman is the bronze standard. That means JG is the silver - and thats not a player Im dying to build around. Hes more suited to being a complimentary t0p 6 player on a contending team thats making a push for it. At least at this point in his career.

And thats not the Calgary Flames that Im seeing myself..

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If they were on the same contract right now, it's Gaudreau and not really all that close coming from this Flames fan. Gaudreau has proven to be able to drive offense. Tkachuk hasn't. Both guys create a ton of PPs so that's not just a Tkachuk thing.

Also Gaudreau has stepped up bigger when it counts. People look at his full playoff resume as way lower points than expected, but how about his stats in Game 6-7 (or equivalent type game)? 4 GP, 3 G, 3 A, 6 P.

But given how good they looked TOGETHER at the end of the regular season, I mostly just want them to continue doing that.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Tkachuk can play both ways of the game. Driving offence he is also capable of bringing a physical game, a tough game, in your face game and a "trolling" game, a pesky game being at 6'2, he's also not a small guy.

Gaudreu on the other hand is just an all out offensive guy. He can't play a troll roll if needed, not that it's needed, however he doesn't have a physical presence either at 5'8. He will just bounce off guys. He also doesn't play a physical game, due to his smaller size, and even if he does he won't hurt anyone and as a team with bigger defenders, zoning out a guy like Gaudreau isn't that hard. If my team had to face the Flames yes have to watch out for Gaudreau but I be more concerned with Tkachuk a lot more concerned way more concerned.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If skill and talent alone determined who’s better, it would be an easier question to answer. Gaudreau is a supremely gifted player, but he doesn’t really care about hockey much more than making a living from it. It translates on the ice, to appearing to not have a pulse in the very moments his teams need him most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad