Matthew Tkachuk vs Johnny Gaudreau

• Matthew Tkachuk

• Johnny Gaudreau

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Each tier is really close and can vary season by season I would say.

Top Tier:
1. Lindholm
2. Gaudreau
3. Tkachuk

Secondary Tier:
4. Monahan (downtrending)
5. Backlund
6. Mangiapane (uptrending)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think he can be the best player on a cup team, he just can't be the only great player. The guy scored 99 points while absolutely carrying his line and was 4th in hart voting.

Hockey is a team sport. Surround a player like that with some real support and you've got a cup contender.

But any player will struggle in the playoffs without support. Look what keeps happening with McDavid - it's the same story for Gaudreau. Teams know if you shut down 13 you shut down the Flames. Give him enough talent to play with where that's not the case and he (and his team) would thrive.
:lol:

There is absolutely 0 way Gaudreau ever leads a team to a cup. I would bet the house car and life savings. Nutty.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
:lol:

There is absolutely 0 way Gaudreau ever leads a team to a cup. I would bet the house car and life savings. Nutty.
Any player capable of scoring 99 points with Sean Monahan as their center can be the best player on a cup winning team.

For god's sake Vegas got to the cup final with William Karlsson as their leading scorer.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Any player capable of scoring 99 points with Sean Monahan as their center can be the best player on a cup winning team.

For god's sake Vegas got to the cup final with William Karlsson as their leading scorer.
The same Sean Monahan that had 82 points that same year?

Foolish to call him a 99 point player. He isnt that right now. No 65 point player is leading a team to a cup.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The same Sean Monahan that had 82 points that same year?

Yep, tells you the kind of impact Gaudreau has on his teammates.

Monahan produces like a third liner away from Gaudreau.

For context, Gaudreau scored 22 points in 16 games this year once he was freed from Monahan

Foolish to call him a 99 point player. He isnt that right now. No 65 point player is leading a team to a cup.

Who's a 65 point player? Gaudreau scored at a 72 point clip this year and has 290 points in 288 games over the last 4 years. Only 3 left wingers have more points over that span.

Reactions: Flamesgod

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yep, tells you the kind of impact Gaudreau has on his teammates.

Monahan produces like a third liner away from Gaudreau.

For context, Gaudreau scored 22 points in 16 games this year once he was freed from Monahan

Who's a 65 point player? Gaudreau scored at a 72 point clip this year and has 290 points in 288 games over the last 4 years. Only 3 left wingers have more points over that span.
Oh! Right I forgot those last few games against Vancouver. 72 still isnt superstar level production.

Is every Calgary player a hidden superstar? Because Lindholm produced at a 69 point pace. Thachuk 63.

I dont buy them being offensively handcuffed. While they arent elite offensively they arent terrible.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Oh! Right I forgot those last few games against Vancouver. 72 still isnt superstar level production.

Is every Calgary player a hidden superstar? Because Lindholm produced at a 69 point pace. Thachuk 63.

I dont buy them being offensively handcuffed. While they arent elite offensively they arent terrible.

Lindholm and Tkachuk didn't have to carry around Monahan and Ritchie/Leivo/Simon for the first 40 games of the season. I don't know what you expect a left wing to do when saddled with an AHL grinder and an injured 3rd line "center".

Once he got away from Monahan and joined Lindholm and Tkachuk he had 22 points in 16 games. Tkachuk had 15 points in that span, Lindholm 14.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gaudreau has scored a point on roughly 1/3 goals the Flames have scored since he came into the league. Tough season for both him and Matthew but he's one of the best in the league at controlled zone entries. Tkachuk doesn't have the skating to drive offense this way.

I would keep them both if I could but if it came down to one or the other it's Johnny. As for 'building around'? Neither. The Flames had the best RWer in the game for many years in Iginla and still couldn't get it done.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
While watching all the games 2 days ago a friend of mine mentioned that Mike Smith apparently made this comment when he left Calgary.

To paraphrase "the best thing for me about leaving Calgary is getting away from Matthew Tkachuk who is the most horrible human being I've ever come across".

Personally I did not hear this and don't remember hearing about it. Does anyone know anything about Smith saying this?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why do people call Gaudreau a 60 point player?

his whole career he’s averaged 78 points over 82 games.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
How is this 3:1 Tkachuk? He is 1 yr away from a 9 million qualifier and has done even less in the playoffs than Gaudreau.

Its Gaudreau imo.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
While watching all the games 2 days ago a friend of mine mentioned that Mike Smith apparently made this comment when he left Calgary.

To paraphrase "the best thing for me about leaving Calgary is getting away from Matthew Tkachuk who is the most horrible human being I've ever come across".

Personally I did not hear this and don't remember hearing about it. Does anyone know anything about Smith saying this?

Seems like bs, but idk.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It's funny how almost all of the Flames fans in here are saying that Gaudreau is better and all of the neutral fans who've seen them play significantly less are trying to convince us otherwise.

Only reason to pick Tkachuk is age imo. The intangibles are on and off and Gaudreau draws just as many penalties as Tkachuk does despite drawing them differently.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Hasn’t Gaudreau consistently under produced in the playoffs?

Matthew Tkachuk is better and more compelling due to his age and play style but the heavy caveat here is he needs to get back to playing a power forward game and cut out a lot of the rat antics. He’s a much better player and doesn’t need to resort to tactics that throw himself off.
Tkachuk hasn't shown up in a single playoff game.

Gaudreau at least tries...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->