Matthew Tkachuk vs Johnny Gaudreau

Matthew Tkachuk vs Johnny Gaudreau

• Matthew Tkachuk

• Johnny Gaudreau

Results are only viewable after voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Except that Gaudreau is the way better player and playoff performer.

Maybe if one is only looking at counting stats.

Look Tkachuk (and the Flames overall) has underperformed in the playoffs recently but Gaudreau simply isn't a guy I would want to build my team around.

I think it might be better for the Flames if they could find a way to move on from him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Maybe if one is only looking at counting stats.

Look Tkachuk (and the Flames overall) has underperformed in the playoffs recently but Gaudreau simply isn't a guy I would want to build my team around.

I think it might be better for the Flames if they could find a way to move on from him.
Tkachuk has been garbage in the playoffs, what are you talking about?

Reactions: Flamesgod

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Interesting to me to see that the majority of flames fans (at least the names I recognize from the flames board) are mostly voting Gaudreau. And yes, I'm sure everyone here is a fan of hockey and watches just as much flames games before people jump on me for pointing that out.

As I see it, Tkachuk hasn't shown the ability to elevate his linemates. Gaudreau has. If it came down to a longterm contract for the same price, I'd offer it to Gaudreau before Tkachuk.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gaudreau is the better player but I don’t think he’s more valued around the league than Tkachuk. If the 31 other teams got to vote on who they wanted on their team, they’d want the playmaking agitator.

If I voted in the perspective of a GM, it’s Tkachuk.

If I am asked who to sign long term, it’s Gaudreau.

If you’re asking me on who the better player is it’s Gaudreau.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I disagree with the notion that either player is significantly better than the other; Gaudreau is a unique offensive talent that has demonstrated an ability to produce regardless of who his linemates are, all while enduring significantly more abuse than the vast majority of the league

Tkachuk may not be as much of an offensive threat as Gaudreau but he has proven to be an effective playmaker and is better defensively, in addition to his dominant physical presence

Gaudreau outperformed Tkachuk in the playoffs last year, Tkachuk outperformed Gaudreau against Colorado and they were both extremely lackluster against Anaheim although Gaudreau's performance in 2015 gives him the edge

Personally I would go with Gaudreau as I believe he was a Top 10 (maybe Top 5) player in the league just a few years ago despite all of the criticisms levelled against him and it's more likely that he will return to that form rather than continuing to regress

That being said, Tkachuk is also extremely valuable and I wouldn't fault anyone for selecting him

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm not sure about this notion that Johnny is soooo much better in the playoffs than Tkachuk or that Johnny is the line driver of the two. In the past two playoffs Tkachuck is the Flames best player when it comes to shot share overall and in close games and Johnny is middle of the pack. Mean while Tkachuk sits 7th on the team in shots.

What at Tkachuk does out there makes room for his team mates to make plays. He needs players to play with who can take advantage of it and get some pucks to the net where he can take advantage and collect some points himself.

I would expect in the long run, especially given his age we can expect Tkachuk to produce in the playoffs especially if his supporting cast is improved. At the very least if he isn't scoring he is a physical force out there.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
This is quite easily Tkachuk in all seriousness, again. And for the "playoff performer" argument, Gaudreau hasnt been spectacular either. And the physicality/pesty play of Tkachuk is something very valuable in the playoffs.

Even if Gaudreau is slightly better right now, gotta take into account age, contract, etc.

This is like comparing Hyman and Nylander from a Leafs POV.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Both suck ass come playoffs but Gaudreau has atleast had his moments of playing strong and has had multiple elite regular seasons.

Tkachuk is one of the worse playoff performers I've ever seen.

He's up there for most overrated player in the league.

I think Gaudreau can be your 3rd best player on a cup team while Tkachuk is 5th/6th

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is quite easily Tkachuk in all seriousness, again. And for the "playoff performer" argument, Gaudreau hasnt been spectacular either. And the physicality/pesty play of Tkachuk is something very valuable in the playoffs.

Even if Gaudreau is slightly better right now, gotta take into account age, contract, etc.

This is like comparing Hyman and Nylander from a Leafs POV.
Tkachuk is one of the worse playoff performers out there. Dumb penalties, produces closer to a Riley Nash in the playoffs then a Nylander, and he is a defensive mess

He is terrible come playoffs and is all reputation based on his Play style in the regular season

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Both suck ass come playoffs but Gaudreau has atleast had his moments of playing strong and has had multiple elite regular seasons.

I think Gaudreau can be your 3rd best player on a cup team while Tkachuk is 5th/6th

Overrated? Depends on how you rate him. His scoring definitely has dipped.

I thought you meant 5th or 6th best forward. But 5th or 6th best player is somewhat fair. I wouldnt be comfortable with Gaudreau as my 3rd best though. They are both 4th-5th "best" guy tops for me.

Tkachuk is one of the worse playoff performers out there. Dumb penalties, produces closer to a Riley Nash in the playoffs then a Nylander, and he is a defensive mess

He is terrible come playoffs and is all reputation based on his Play style in the regular season

With pests come dumb penalties, even worse suspensions, I know first hand from Kadri. Still wouldnt have the verdict out on him at 23 years old and 15 playoff games played. Would love a guy like him on the Leafs.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Gaudreau is the better player but Tkachuk might be more valuable in terms of contracts, age, desire to stay, etc.

Flamesgod

Jun 15, 2019

I agree with this post except I think Gaudreau can be the 2nd best player on a Stanley cup team. More specifically, the 2nd best forward.

Reactions: Boo Boo

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree with this post except I think Gaudreau can be the 2nd best player on a Stanley cup team. More specifically, the 2nd best forward.
I think he can be the best player on a cup team, he just can't be the only great player. The guy scored 99 points while absolutely carrying his line and was 4th in hart voting.

Hockey is a team sport. Surround a player like that with some real support and you've got a cup contender.

But any player will struggle in the playoffs without support. Look what keeps happening with McDavid - it's the same story for Gaudreau. Teams know if you shut down 13 you shut down the Flames. Give him enough talent to play with where that's not the case and he (and his team) would thrive.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Except that Gaudreau is the way better player and playoff performer.

Hasn’t Gaudreau consistently under produced in the playoffs?

Matthew Tkachuk is better and more compelling due to his age and play style but the heavy caveat here is he needs to get back to playing a power forward game and cut out a lot of the rat antics. He’s a much better player and doesn’t need to resort to tactics that throw himself off.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hasn’t Gaudreau consistently under produced in the playoffs?

Matthew Tkachuk is better and more compelling due to his age and play style but the heavy caveat here is he needs to get back to playing a power forward game and cut out a lot of the rat antics. He’s a much better player and doesn’t need to resort to tactics that throw himself off.

Tkachuk has 5 points in 15 playoff games...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->