Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - "That Face You Just Want to Punch"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would never trade Chucky. I’m not gonna send him packing over a **** season and a bad stretch of hockey. We need more guys like him, not less. He’s still young and yes he needs to grow up. And he will, just like Marchand did.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Trading Tkachuk because he has one down year following a concussion and a pandemic would be a move people look back on and laugh at. I mean, people would laugh at it right now, but it's also a clear panic reaction move that very rarely goes right for teams.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Rough times are temporary. Tkachuk is still the second smartest player on the Flames behind Gaudreau. Hopefully we end up having him when 'temporary' ends, rather than with a change of scenery

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Remember this time last year, when people said he was the best player on our team, we need more players like Tkachuk not less, and we need to build around Tkachuk if we want a chance to win? Then literally a pandemic happened, a concussion happened, then 30 NHL games and now he’s public enemy number one? Must be nice having the shortest memories.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Remember this time last year, when people said he was the best player on our team, we need more players like Tkachuk not less, and we need to build around Tkachuk if we want a chance to win? Then literally a pandemic happened, a concussion happened, then 30 NHL games and now he’s public enemy number one? Must be nice having the shortest memories.
People are still saying that though, just read the thread. People who like Tkachuk haven’t really changed their minds. There are people who never were Tkachuk fans (like myself going back to the draft) that may be a bit more vocal now. Maybe there’s been a small shift, but I don’t think it’s fair at all to say people are flip-flopping based on some recency bias. Especially when a lot of the “he’s the best player on this team, build around him, don’t trade him for anything less than McDavid” hurrah was coming after a career year.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
People are still saying that though, just read the thread. People who like Tkachuk haven’t really changed their minds. There are people who never were Tkachuk fans (like myself going back to the draft) that may be a bit more vocal now. Maybe there’s been a small shift, but I don’t think it’s fair at all to say people are flip-flopping based on some recency bias. Especially when a lot of the “he’s the best player on this team, build around him, don’t trade him for anything less than McDavid” hurrah was coming after a career year.

I think a lot of posters have flip-flopped on him. I mean, yeah he deservers criticism and that is totally fair. But this fanbase is so fickle, the sky is either falling or we're winning the Cup. Tkachuk is either everyone's fan favorite or he's public enemy #1. Look no further than Monahan.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I would never trade Chucky. I’m not gonna send him packing over a **** season and a bad stretch of hockey. We need more guys like him, not less. He’s still young and yes he needs to grow up. And he will, just like Marchand did.
There are 30 teams who would take him off your hands, you know, if you’re selling.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If it were up to me, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangi, Dube, Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington would be going no where. Anyone else is open season.

I'd add Andy, but these are the ones I agree with either because they are too young to be worth selling, offer more value to the team than anywhere else, or simply because its good to keep some pieces.

I'd agree with Kyli but the Flames want to give him no chance, and as for Tkachuk he hasn't really done it for me tbh. That 9 million dollar qualifying is poison imo since he won't come close to living up to it.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Could be for the best, especially if Gaudreau is willing to come back. Tkachuk at his upcoming price tag isn't something I wanna touch. Investing well over 20 million dollars into our 3 LWers starting next year might not be the best idea, and trading Tkachuk could balance out our lineup

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If true (which wouldn’t shock me but this source is… not much), Eichel for Tkachuk+ makes too much sense for both clubs.

Except it doesn't. Trading for a winger who has 2 yrs of control before we can go to unrestricted free agency doesn't seem like something Buffalo is going to want for their franchise centre.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Except it doesn't. Trading for a winger who has 2 yrs of control before we can go to unrestricted free agency doesn't seem like something Buffalo is going to want for their franchise centre.
No other team is gonna offer a player as good as Tkachuk. Trading him for futures for their rebuild after a season would net them a huge return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad