Speculation: Matthew Tkachuk MEGA Thread (informs Flames he will not sign long term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I have a feeling he's going to Ottawa, play with his bro for 5-6 years, then do one final cash-in contract for a Southern US team at age 30.
Sens won't have the cap space to do that. Brady and Debrincat on the left. They do not need Matthew.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Curious where you think Carolina would come up with the cap space to sign Matthew Tkachuk?, Needing to remember that he's probably getting 8 years $80,000,000 Carolina only has $4,083,083 to sign 4 players. Don Waddell would need to move out some big contracts to afford Matthew Tkachuk.

No team, including Calgary, can sign him for 8 years at the moment.

EDIT: as pointed out below, above is incorrect as he's RFA and not UFA. Calgary can sign him to an 8 year deal but other teams would require Calgary to sign him first to get 8 years.

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however,
that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8)
years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the
most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free
Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years
expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With
respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club
may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years
provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted
Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigurd

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
???? That comes into play for NHL teams, lol. Look at what Bjorkstrand got today, you think that was the same price for the Metro teams on his trade list? No shot. Teams within the division always have to overpay for marquee players. And if that was the case, the initial first leak list would've had Seattle on it.
Again, focusing just on Seattle and "within the division." You started off with a bunch of question marks, and I honestly feel the same way about this post. What is this doing to dispute what I said?

A poster said Tkachuk only really cares about money.

I reply by pointing out that bottom feeding teams like Seattle (among OTHERS) aren't on Tkachuk's alleged list of teams despite them having the most money to throw at him, and thus is a counterargument against Tkachuk only really caring about money.

I'm sure he cares about more than just money, and probably doesn't want to be another star player stuck on a team that doesn't even make the playoffs.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
No team, including Calgary, can sign him for 8 years at the moment.
Indeed. Yet we keep hearing people act like St. Louis has the trade in the bag while only having 625k in cap space, and several players with NTCs/NMCs.

Honestly, New Jersey seems the most likely to me at this point as someone not that familiar with them, but based on what I've read. I'd imagine if he extends there, it's because he believes they will be a rising team.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Indeed. Yet we keep hearing people act like St. Louis has the trade in the bag while only having 625k in cap space, and several players with NTCs/NMCs.

Honestly, New Jersey seems the most likely to me at this point as someone not that familiar with them, but based on what I've read. I'd imagine if he extends there, it's because he believes they will be a rising team.
I think assets/cost/cap all makes sense, I just refuse to let myself believe he'll be willing to sign here ( just so i dont set myself up to be let down ) we've been spurned by so many players based off location/stigma

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I think assets/cost/cap all makes sense, I just refuse to let myself believe he'll be willing to sign here ( just so i dont set myself up to be let down ) we've been spurned by so many players based off location/stigma
As a Carolina fan, it's so rare to have a legit all star player want to sign/be traded to us. So, I can relate even though the Raleigh area is generally well liked (that's why so many people are moving down here; mostly from the north). I think our team has improved in that regard with players over the years with our recent playoff runs, and having a coach so widely respected and also loved by his players helps too.

I was beating the drum on our board to trade for Tkachuk days ago even though it seemed like a long shot, and everyone was saying it was almost a 0% chance we get him, and then someone with insider connections made an encouraging tweet that Carolina is making a serious push for him. I'd like for us to be surprising and get one of the biggest available players in the offseason for once, and not give up a king's ransom to get him so we improve our odds at winning the cup.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This was per Mike Johnston it was on Spector Hockey and he's been a pretty reliable source.

That is not what he said at all. He just listed teams he thinks will be interested and specifically said in the article he doesn't know exactly which teams are on his list. The Spectors blurb also didn't say what you said so you can't even blame that.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

skilles

Jun 23, 2012

The Blues offseason so far definitely indicates they are involved. They are certainly waiting for something to happen and dad works for the Blues so there is a good chance they know what is going on.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is just for the fun of it but:

CGY trades: Tkachuk, Andersson, Pelletier

TB trades: Point, Killorn, Myers

Calgary gets an elite #1C that can be a 90+ point guy and a proven playoff performer also a hometown kid, a top 6 two-way winger that can score 20g and 50p, and a #5/6 RHD that could turn things around

Tampa gets an elite top line winger that will add grit and scoring ability to the top 6, a top 4 RHD for their weakest position, and a great prospect on an ELC for 2 more years that can take a roster spot this season
Killorn walks in a year and Myers is not that good.

Last edited:

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Wrong Calgary can still give him 8 years, It would be a sign and trade Matthew Tkachuk @ 8 years $9,500,000 to a team of his own choosing and Brad Treliving gets significant amount of assets.

Eek, completely brainfarted and went with the UFA rules. You're right in that the Flames can give him 8 years. Other teams would have to do a sign-and-trade to get the 8th year.

Relevant CBA portion:
(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however,
that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8)
years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the
most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free
Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years
expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With
respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club
may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years
provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted
Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
This is just for the fun of it but:

CGY trades: Tkachuk, Andersson, Pelletier

TB trades: Point, Killorn, Myers

Calgary gets an elite #1C that can be a 90+ point guy and a proven playoff performer also a hometown kid, a top 6 two-way winger that can score 20g and 50p, and a #5/6 RHD that could turn things around

Tampa gets an elite top line winger that will add grit and scoring ability to the top 6, a top 4 RHD for their weakest position, and a great prospect on an ELC for 2 more years that can take a roster spot this season

I mean, at least a Lightning fan suggested it, but why do you want to give up three guys who have gotten in done in the playoffs three straight years for three guys who haven’t even once?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

St. Louis has zero players with a NMC. Several with NTCs though. Nonetheless, Kyrou going the other way is a pipe dream; DA won’t do that, and for good reason.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It feels like a bit of a steal for Tampa getting a really good second pairing dman and a good prospect, but you have to pay something extra to get a 80 point center for 8 years in exchange for a similar caliber guy who’s gone in a year. Maybe take out Pelletier?

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would Calgary accept 3 - 1st round picks from the Blues? 2 in 2023 and 1 in 2024

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Well the Carolina “insider” on Twitter says we would only get Tkachuk if we finesse the Blues. Take that with as much salt as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad