Speculation: Matthew Tkachuk MEGA Thread (informs Flames he will not sign long term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stricklands opinion and take that Tkachuk will be a Blue for the 2023-24 season. Essentially Tkachuk will not extend with anyone but St.Louis . If Calgary and St.Louis cannot make a trade , Tkachuk plays for Calgary until the TDL or full season then goes to St.Louis as a UFA.
I get it from St.Loius’s point of view. No way they can trade Kyrou when they can wait a year and get him for zero assets and when they have cap room.
I have a feeling Tkachuk only wants St.Louis and these other teames on a list where he would sign is BS.
But you also lose this season without him. Everyone who is on the older side (like 30) loses a prime years and don’t have as many remaining.

But up to the Blues. Flames are under a tight deadline before the arbitration hearing to get it done otherwise MT even if traded can’t extend for the 23-24 and onwards until Jan 1 which will take some teams to the running. They’d want him long term as he arrives.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If that were the case Tkachuk would have simply stayed quite, taken his arbitration award, and played out the season. Instead he gave Calgary a list of teams he would be willing to sign with long term in order to facilitate a trade that work for all parties. That suggests to me that you are clinging on to every hope you can to land a hometown superstar for pennies on the dollar.

Calgary could easily trade Tkachuk with retention to any contender in the NHL after his arbitration for significantly more value than you are claiming he's worth. If St. Louis wants to play chicken then by all means stay out the trade talks and cross your fingers he makes it to UFA. You are not getting him for a cap dump and a late 1st. That's ridiculous.
I’m pretty sure you can’t trade anyone for a year after accepting arbitration, which would bring him right to UFA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m pretty sure you can’t trade anyone for a year after accepting arbitration, which would bring him right to UFA
That is not correct. That only applies to matching an Offer Sheet which is why the flames elected to team initiated arbitration to eliminate that threat.

Players can be traded after arbitration awards. The only condition is like all other 1 year deals, an new deal for the next season can’t be signed until Jan 1.

Reactions: Kahvi

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
there are 0 restrictions to trading a player who has filed for arbitration or has been award a contract via arbitration.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Ryan Leslie just said on St. Louis fan 590 that there’s a 0% chance Chucky is a Flame by the arbitration date and the Flames want it done sooner than later. Also said it’ll 100% be a team that Matthew will sign long-term with. So basically, nothing we didn’t already know

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ryan Leslie just said on St. Louis fan 590 that there’s a 0% chance Chucky is a Flame by the arbitration date and the Flames want it done sooner than later. Also said it’ll 100% be a team that Matthew will sign long-term with. So basically, nothing we didn’t already know
So much for Strickland saying he will 100% be a Blue in 2023-24.

Reactions: viper0220

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
This is just for the fun of it but:

CGY trades: Tkachuk, Andersson, Pelletier

TB trades: Point, Killorn, Myers

Calgary gets an elite #1C that can be a 90+ point guy and a proven playoff performer also a hometown kid, a top 6 two-way winger that can score 20g and 50p, and a #5/6 RHD that could turn things around

Tampa gets an elite top line winger that will add grit and scoring ability to the top 6, a top 4 RHD for their weakest position, and a great prospect on an ELC for 2 more years that can take a roster spot this season

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Why? I wish I had more thumbs…so I could give this proposal four thumbs down.
Just for fun, see what both sides think of it. id be against trading Point considering Stamkos is getting older and Cirelli definitely wont hold down the #1C spot once Stamkos is gone

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Uhhhh......no.

Calgary just throws in a cost controlled young d-man who looks like he might develop into a top pairing guy and also one of their best prospects.

Myers is 25 and yet to find a full time role in the NHL. Killorn is turning 33 and a soon to be UFA.

Calgary gives up a major part of their future with Pelletier and Andersson going the other way. Not a move they should make at this venture.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think the holdup has something to do with trying to determine fair value where maybe Tkachuk has different length of contracts he is willing to sign with different teams and Calgary has a hard time deciding what to do as it effects the return.
Maybe Tkachuk says he will sign for 7 (or 8 years in a sign and trade ?) with St.Louis , but he won’t sign for anything longer than 4/5 years with other teams ? Way of Tkachuk trying to force himself to St.Louis ?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What’s in it for Tkachuk to sign an extension now and not just wait till he’s a UFA and has full control of the process.
A) Gaudreau tried to pick his spot. Not easy in a cap world
B) career year, he’s aware he will have significantly worse linemates next year and he wants to get paid
C) 8th year

Reactions: severian

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Andersson and Pelletier are not throw-ins. They are very valuable pieces. So no way I take this. I do love Point and would love him in Calgary. But he’s the only one I like coming from Tampa. Killorn is risky because he can walk, obviously we would trade him at the deadline. But a late first for him wouldn’t compensate for losing Pelletier. Andersson is a top pairing D at an excellent price. Myers would never be able to replace him.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What’s in it for Tkachuk to sign an extension now and not just wait till he’s a UFA and has full control of the process.

He might have had a career year this year, so better chance to to get a big contract for 7 years. There's a risk that he's not that good next year, or gets injured. How big of a riski either of those is, I have no idea.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A) Gaudreau tried to pick his spot. Not easy in a cap world
B) career year, he’s aware he will have significantly worse linemates next year and he wants to get paid
C) 8th year

he is unlikely to get another 100pt season without johnny in CGY.
Right now he will cash in like never ever again.

Sounds like whoever gets him is going to be disapponted

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad