Prospect Info: Matthew Stienburg (C/RW), 63rd overall

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I hate this pick, and the Beaucage pick, given what else was available.

Our scouting staff should all be fired tbh, if I were this bad at my job I would have been long ago. Hopefully they didn’t mess up the Byram/Turcotte and Newhook/Krebs decisions
Just fire every scout and use the central scouting list. That's how HF determines draft success anyways.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Just fire every scout and use the central scouting list. That's how HF determines draft success anyways.

That would be funny if we hadn’t just seen a decade of utter failure outside the 1st round. We literally would have been better off just using a consensus list. Or hiring Bender

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well... If he ends up developing into half the player either one of those guys are I would be absolutely thrilled.

Getting a gritty, plays on the edge and sometimes crosses it, bottom 6 forward would be a huge success and fill a role on this team that nobody else looks capable of filling.

Probably talking a 4-5 year time frame for him but who knows.

It's gonna be exciting to watch College hockey again next season, Avs have a tonne of prospects in College next year.... I think we'll have all of:

Leivermann
Clurman
Morrison
Ranta
Smirnov
Weiss
Newhook
Steinburg
Helleson

Looking forward to it!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I just don't get picking him at this spot. I'm sure he could have been there in the 6th or 7th round. Anyway I guess I'm gonna trust the Avs on this one but it is hard to do considering their lack of success in rounds 2-7.

Let's wait and see I guess but certainly not a fan of the pick considering what was still on the board.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I just don't get picking him at this spot. I'm sure he could have been there in the 6th or 7th round. Anyway I guess I'm gonna trust the Avs on this one but it is hard to do considering their lack of success in rounds 2-7.

Let's wait and see I guess but certainly not a fan of the pick considering what was still on the board.

Wonder if it was just a pick based on where the Avs had him, or if they thought other teams in the area were interested.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Watching interviews with him, his role model is NYR draft pick Morgan Barron, who went to the same prep school and also went directly to Cornell afterward. Stienburg is best friends with Barron's younger brother, and he's planning to basically model himself after Barron in order to emulate his path in the college game. If we basically get a copy of Barron with this pick, that's not a bad thing, is it?

Morgan Barron at eliteprospects.com
Morgan Barron Has a Chance to Make the NHL, and That’s Good Enough

It should be noted he outproduced Barron in their respective final years in prep school, so his college performance could also exceed Barron's (the little brother effect).

Edit: For what it's worth, he also seems like a super-mature kid, which could also explain why the Avs might have drafted him so high - they really really seem to value character. It's been one of the most consistent traits they draft for and acquire since Sakic has been solely in charge.

Reactions: MrPeePee

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Sometimes we forget that those kids will likely read this.

Hey kid, people are doubting you but you can use it as a form of motivation to prove everyone wrong. :)

Frankly, we as fans don't matter. What matters is that the organization believed in him enough to draft him. Now go do well. I hope this kid makes the Avs management and Sakic look like geniuses.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Local legend at the Edmonton rinks and shawarma restaurants

Was he particularly against the Steinburg pick?

Outside the second round I don’t really have strong opinions on anyone but I think the negativity about this one is more than a bit overboard.

What this kid strives to emulate is exactly what this team needs and is a breed of player that teams are cluing into the value of. He can take as much time in college as he wants/needs and there’s obviously a level of familiarity/understanding with his family background.

Given where they took him it seems a bit naive to assume he was on nobody else’s radar. Just because he was off the board from the mainstream lists doesn’t mean another team didn’t value him in the 3rd/4th. It seems pretty likely to me they knew of at least one other team with interest in him that they were worried about losing him that forced their hand into taking him at 63.

Let’s give this kid a few years in college before we panic about a wasted pick. For me there’s at least as many positives to this one as there are negatives.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Was he particularly against the Steinburg pick?

Outside the second round I don’t really have strong opinions on anyone but I think the negativity about this one is more than a bit overboard.

What this kid strives to emulate is exactly what this team needs and is a breed of player that teams are cluing into the value of. He can take as much time in college as he wants/needs and there’s obviously a level of familiarity/understanding with his family background.

Given where they took him it seems a bit naive to assume he was on nobody else’s radar. Just because he was off the board from the mainstream lists doesn’t mean another team didn’t value him in the 3rd/4th. It seems pretty likely to me they knew of at least one other team with interest in him that they were worried about losing him that forced their hand into taking him at 63.

Let’s give this kid a few years in college before we panic about a wasted pick. For me there’s at least as many positives to this one as there are negatives.

No, he just never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We drafted Byram and Newhook in the 1st, the team is built to be great for a long time. If they wanna take a flier on a guy in the 2nd, who are we to judge at this point?
Even if they go chalk in the 2nd, our draft luck with injuries in that round is not great.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Loved this draft for the Avs but have no clue what the scouts saw here especially over a Dorofeyev or Spiridonov. Anyway here's a SBS of the kid

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sometimes we forget that those kids will likely read this.

Hey kid, people are doubting you but you can use it as a form of motivation to prove everyone wrong. :)
He may not actually read this considering we misspelled his name in the title. :eek:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We drafted Byram and Newhook in the 1st, the team is built to be great for a long time. If they wanna take a flier on a guy in the 2nd, who are we to judge at this point?
Even if they go chalk in the 2nd, our draft luck with injuries in that round is not great.

This pick is garbage, it should have been Grewe/Legare or a Goalie. Another option is to package with their 2nd to move up.

Just a warped pick...:(

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This pick is garbage, it should have been Grewe/Legare or a Goalie. Another option is to package with their 2nd to move up.

Just a warped pick...:(

Eh, it's similar to Hishon most likely. If he stays healthy and does work then no one will care where he went. If he gets hurt...then it's "see, I told you it was a bad idea"

Reactions: Barklez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad