Prospect Info: Matthew Stienburg (C/RW), 63rd overall

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LastWordArmy would never edit a title they got wrong.
Totally, their inconsistent thread titles for our draftees is also killing my OCD as well.

I'm on your side though, Stienburg just seems like a misprint during the Victorian Era where one bloke in their family tree decided he was too lazy to change it back to Steinburg.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Let's not get excited about him. I've actually scouted that league for a 15 years old that plays in that league (Mathys Brassard). That 15 year old actually outproduced Stienburg. That 15 year old was just drafted in the 6th or 7th round of the Q draft as a 15 years old. That tells you about the caliber of player Steinburg is, couldn't outproduce a 7th rounder in the Q draft as an 18 years old... Like they don't play against consistently and I know the St Andrews division is much stronger but still...

and we picked him in the third round of the NHL draft... wow

When I realised that... holy shit.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Let's not get excited about him. I've actually scouted that league for a 15 years old that plays in that league (Mathys Brassard). That 15 year old actually outproduced Stienburg. That 15 year old was just drafted in the 6th or 7th round of the Q draft as a 15 years old. That tells you about the caliber of player Steinburg is, couldn't outproduce a 7th rounder in the Q draft as an 18 years old... Like they don't play against consistently and I know the St Andrews division is much stronger but still...

and we picked him in the third round of the NHL draft... wow

When I realised that... holy ****.

We don't know what happened in interviews. Maybe he has a pleasant demeanor? Maybe he tells some good jokes?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That is quite obvious. However, this is the same scouting staff who always drafts a bunch of low ceiling grinders every single year. Our 2-7 round drafting record speaks for itself.

That's true but you can also look at it like this: if they weren't so bad selecting players from the second round on, we wouldn't have as many top 10 picks. :DD They've been great with those.

salming 21

Aug 8, 2019
For what it's worth i golf with one of the New York Rangers scouts, a former NHLer and he said the Rangers would have taken him with their 3rd round pick had he been available. He was in the 100's on the NHL skater's list which translates to 4th/5th round. I saw Foegele, Thomas (won a cup this year with St. Louis), Hillis, Cody Clark all play prep hockey previously with this same team and Steinburg is every bit the player as any of them were as high school seniors. NHL teams are honestly thrilled if a 3rd rounder just even turns into a NHLer, no matter what line you play him on. the number of 1st and 2nd round picks who don't turn into anything is staggering so......

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
For what it's worth i golf with one of the New York Rangers scouts, a former NHLer and he said the Rangers would have taken him with their 3rd round pick had he been available. He was in the 100's on the NHL skater's list which translates to 4th/5th round. I saw Foegele, Thomas (won a cup this year with St. Louis), Hillis, Cody Clark all play prep hockey previously with this same team and Steinburg is every bit the player as any of them were as high school seniors. NHL teams are honestly thrilled if a 3rd rounder just even turns into a NHLer, no matter what line you play him on. the number of 1st and 2nd round picks who don't turn into anything is staggering so......

Appreciate the opinion, but this doesn't erase the reality for being a terrible and wasted pick. AVs HF polled as the 23rd best team prospect. Absolutely terrible for being drafted so high and the latest pick, should have been ranked much higher. Steinburg would have been around in the 5th Round.

Not only was he among the oldest players in the draft, big physical center played against 3rd tier competition. He wasn't even that impressive. Better players were available: Grewe, Lagare, Dorofeyev, Honka or Ellis. Simply a missed opportunity.

Doubt he'll ever receive an NHL Contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Appreciate the opinion, but this doesn't erase the reality for being a terrible and wasted pick. AVs HF polled as the 23rd best team prospect. Absolutely terrible for being drafted so high and the latest pick, should have been ranked much higher. Steinburg would have been around in the 5th Round.

Not only was he among the oldest players in the draft, big physical center played against 3rd tier competition. He wasn't even that impressive. Better players were available: Grewe, Lagare, Dorofeyev, Honka or Ellis. Simply a missed opportunity.

Is this an appeal to ignorance? :laugh:

HF is probably the last place you'd want to appeal to authority... only a handful of people have probably ever seen him here. I'm one of the handful with crappy tape, and I don't have enough to say it is good or bad. There were scouts that liked him, and he was a known name. The Avs obviously targeted him, and I'm sure they were not the only ones.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

HF is probably the last place you'd want to appeal to authority... only a handful of people have probably ever seen him here. I'm one of the handful with crappy tape, and I don't have enough to say it is good or bad. There were scouts that liked him, and he was a known name. The Avs obviously targeted him, and I'm sure they were not the only ones.

He was definitely a surprise and can't find too many positive opinions on being selected so high. Might surprise everyone and become a serviceable player. AVs record beyond the 1st round is already terrible, not expecting much with this pick.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still think differently about the pick having seen him live at dev camp. I didn't like the pick either day of but he changed my mind. I can't say if he's ever going to be an NHLer, and he's a long term project for sure but there is skill there.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He was definitely a surprise and can't find too many positive opinions on being selected so high. Might surprise everyone and become a serviceable player. AVs record beyond the 1st round is already terrible, not expecting much with this pick.

So was Romanov at 38 in 2018 for the Habs, and he's a great young prospect. Being off the board that fans and blogs create doesn't make the player a bad prospect or a guy they surely would have been available in the 5th. They like him and I'm sure they have their reasons. I'm not a fan of the pick because of some other players drafted after him, but I like Stienberg better than his 3rd round buddy Beaucage.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

How dare you

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, we basically just got confirmation (if you believe the source) that other teams were targeting him in the third round, which is kind of what we suspected drove the Avs to grab him in the first place. It's not like this is a wildly out of bounds pick if he was going to be gone five spots after we picked him.

Like it or not, he's our prospect now. Nothing else to do but cheer for him to put it all together and make the big show a few years down the line.

Reactions: flyfysher and MarkT

salming 21

Aug 8, 2019

Like i said, Most NHL teams would be thrilled for a 3rd round pick to sign an NHL contract. Anything after the first half of the first round is a crap shoot, that's just how it is. And I was being totally truthful, he was getting picked in the 3rd round by somebody if not the AVs. My son goes to the same school, played up a few games with Steinburg last year so i was genuinely curious as to what teams thought of him. The Rangers scout put it quite simply 'Every kid these days has skill, every last one of them, but very few play with tenacity and a mean streak'.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem isn't picking Stienburg in the third round because likewise with Mitch Heard there are teams that realistically have odd players quite high. It's picking Stienburg, who we can all classify as a long-term prospect as high as we did while other superior and less risky players were still left on the board. I am with McMetal that I've liked what I've seen - he plays a very NHL style of game -, but based on those behind the scene draft videos this selection will fall on Hepple's shoulders. If we were going for a long-term player such as Stienburg, I would've rather went after a higher talent though riskier Cajkovic. Additionally, picking him over the likes of Grewe and Puistola are other headscratchers.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He’s already there. They are playing something like a 12 game fake preseason tourney with 3 other teams and have already played 2 of them. Matt has not dressed for a game yet tho but he is currently with the team.

Reactions: Foppa2118

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty unfortunate season for him, had a major injury (during I think preseason for Junior A) and because each season was cut short he missed the entire year. Going back into the Avs draft behind the scene videos, I recall that one scene where Hepple was trying to convince Joe to take him in the 3rd with Ottawa's pick and I wonder if this was one of the fateful decisions which made the Avs let go from him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->