Prospect Info: Matthew Stienburg (C/RW), 63rd overall

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Who needs a blog/website whoring themselves out in the OP!

Avs trying to infiltrate the NCAA, planting a bunch of multi-year sleeper agents to recruit college FAs as depth signings to extend the window.

Reactions: Gabe the Babe

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Petition to rename this thread the "Should've picked Dorofeyev or Cajkovic thread".

They were right there!!!! You could've picked this Steinburg kid in the 7th, guaranteed....

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe he is gonna be something great for us. But I can't get excited about a pick. Feels like I have seen the same kind of pick the last eight drafts and tried to get excited about it, but can't fool myself anymore.

*will post same words in another thread

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
From HP

Steinburg is a Halifax native who has played the past two seasons with St. Andrew’s College in Ontario. This year, he was the captain of the team, and also played 3 games in the USHL with Sioux City. He’s committed to play college hockey at Cornell University.

First and foremost, Steinburg is a very physical player. He likes to finish every hit possible, and he’s a threat for opposing defensemen on the forecheck. He’s very strong on his skates and really tough to contain along the boards and in front of the net. He was an offensive player with his team this year, leading them in scoring. Despite this, he projects more as a grinder at the pro level. His offensive skills are average at best. There is great velocity on his shot, but he doesn’t have a quick release. At the level he played, his shots were often just too powerful for prep goaltenders to handle. His skating is a flaw; he’s strong on his skates but doesn’t generate good speed, lacking fluidity and agility. He’s an up-and-down winger on his wing and goes hard to the net. He’s not very good at changing directions quickly, as he lacks the proper footwork, agility, and quickness to do so.

On the power play, he could be useful in front of the net; he’s tough to move from there and can screen the goalie’s view with his big frame. At the prep level, on the power play, he was used in a shooting role. We have a hard time seeing this happen at the pro level, though. We don’t see him adding a lot of value to the PK unit due to his lack of footspeed and anticipation. This is not a good combination for shorthanded situations. Steinburg does compete hard each night, not taking many shifts off. If Steinburg can improve his quickness, his very physical brand of hockey could bring him to an NHL 4th-line grinder role at some point. That said, there’s a lot of work ahead of him in terms of skating and overall skill level.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
nz_mens_player_41963.jpg

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We need to hold specific scouts accountable for picks like this. If they bust, you’re gone. If they turn out great (ie better than peers in the range), you get a promotion.
I assume they evaluate each scouts list after a few years but, you can't really fire a guy for getting a pick 78th overall wrong. Less than 10% of these picks become anything.

I just generally seems to disagree with their whole philosophy in the later rounds. They seem to fall in love with certain characters and just go with them, like tools and upside is secondary to having the right head in the later rounds. I'd do it opposite.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO he’s a better prospect than Beaucage... limited upside but plays hard will grind his way though 3 or 4 seasons in college to maybe a contract. Not a fan of the pick and I probably wouldn’t have considered him in a 7 round draft... but there is a chance he ends up a great 4th liner.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't seen him play so not going to judge him, but it seems that Avs see something they like that other teams didn't. This sort of stuff happens every year with at least one player by every team that they have higher than the rest of the pack. Avs obviously see him more than just a 4th liner, but even just reading upon him and seeing some highlights, I very much like him better than Beaucage.

What I do notice about him when reading his report is that he has enormous character reminding me of Ryan O'Reilly and knows he has weaknesses and will work on them. Even then if his offence doesn't translate, it seems he has a high floor to add some solid depth for us in the bottom 6. I like that' he's a powerforward and penalty minutes follow him wherever he goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I hate this pick, and the Beaucage pick, given what else was available.

Our scouting staff should all be fired tbh, if I were this bad at my job I would have been long ago. Hopefully they didn’t mess up the Byram/Turcotte and Newhook/Krebs decisions

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I haven't seen him play so not going to judge him, but it seems that Avs see something they like that other teams didn't. This sort of stuff happens every year with at least one player by every team that they have higher than the rest of the pack. Avs obviously see him more than just a 4th liner, but even just reading upon him and seeing some highlights, I very much like him better than Beaucage.

What I do notice about him when reading his report is that he has enormous character reminding me of Ryan O'Reilly and knows he has weaknesses and will work on them. Even then if his offence doesn't translate, it seems he has a high floor to add some solid depth for us in the bottom 6. I like that' he's a powerforward and penalty minutes follow him wherever he goes.
His dad is supposedly like THE best guy out there. Everyone loves him. That kinda character usually rubs off.

Reactions: Barklez and S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad