NFL: Matthew Stafford requests trade

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The same price it took to get Jimmy G, huh. I’d definitely take that.
I don't see it being that cheap.

Mainly because you have other teams who need a QB and his cap hit for the acquiring team is going to be very manageable.

SF, LAR, Chi, NO, Dal, Was, Indy, NE, Mia (if they are going for it now), Den, LV (who can then flip Carr or send him the other way with a pick), Pit are teams that should call Detroit.

I think there's going to be a team(s) that will offer a 1st and maybe another pick to secure his rights.

Reactions: Voight

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Im sure their 2nd rounder should suffice. 12th overall is a massive overpayment.

LOL, the Lions are getting more than just a 2nd for Stafford. The guy is still on top of his game and has a team friendly contract for the next two years. There will be a bidding war for him.

I think 12th overall+3rd or 4th rounder from San Fran is fair. At minimum, the Lions are getting a 1st rounder for him.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
LOL, the Lions are getting more than just a 2nd for Stafford. The guy is still on top of his game and has a team friendly contract for the next two years. There will be a bidding war for him.

I think 12th overall+3rd or 4th rounder from San Fran is fair. At minimum, the Lions are getting a 1st rounder for him.
Sellers market for stafford given the number of teams who need a QB given the quality of their rosters. SF, Indy, Chi, LAR, Mia, etc have rosters capable of doing damage in the playoffs if they fix their QB situation.

if you low ball Detroit they just hang up and take other calls. Worst fatw for AF is another nfc gets him like chicago or Washington or Dallas or NO or even
The Rams.

Reactions: CupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sellers market for stafford given the number of teams who need a QB given the quality of their rosters. SF, Indy, Chi, LAR, Mia, etc have rosters capable of doing damage in the playoffs if they fix their QB situation.

if you low ball Detroit they just hang up and take other calls. Worst fatw for AF is another nfc gets him like chicago or Washington or Dallas or NO or even
The Rams.

Yep, exactly.

I know the trade request went public but the Lions don't HAVE TO trade him if they don't see an offer they like and as you said, there are lots of contenders that would love to get their hands on Stafford and wouldn't mind parting with a 1st at minimum to get him. Stafford playing great to end last season certainly showed teams that he's a high level player still.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So hard to keep a quality roster together once your cheap rookie contracts expire.

Nelson, Leonard, Taylor, Pittman, etc will come off their rookie deals. Now is the time to make noise.

Indy first plus Jacob Eason and a day 2 pick should get it done by Indy. Gives Detroit another first, a young QB who is similar to Sraffors in build, size, arm, but not as mobile. See what he can do or worst case you are near the bottom in 2022 draft and have options at QB.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Someone is going to put a first on the table, so if SF doesn't, I'd be surprised if they get him. I wonder if the Lions have fallen in love with one of the QBs not named Lawrence. Trade Stafford for another first, hope to use that 1st as ammunition along with 7 to get into Fields/Wilson territory.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not according to the writers for The Athletic. It'll definitely take more than the 12th.
Writers of the athletic aren’t NFL GM’s. Alex Smith was 2 2nd’s and he at least had playoff wins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Writers of the athletic aren’t NFL GM’s. Alex Smith was 2 2nd’s and he at least had playoff wins.
Smith has been regarded as a game manager. Can win games with him, but if something doesn't go as planned like your run game or defence, there's not much chance he can lead you back.

Stafford has the better arm talent.

Ultimately, I think what pushes the price up is the number of good teams that need a QB and can't sit back and squander good years of their top players.

LAR - Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, Woods, etc are in their primes - Have Goff
Chi - Mack, and other defenders - Have Trubisky/Foles
Was - Their front 4 DL - Smith/Heinecke
SF - Bosa on rookie deal - Jimmy G.
Indy - Nelson & Leonard entering year 4 of rookie deal - Rivers retired and Brissett is a free agent. Have 4th round pick Eason in the pipeline

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If Deshaun is traded, the Lions and Texans will be by far the two worst teams in the NFL. Not sure any other teams will be close to their ineptitude. They played each other this past season so a chance for two 0-16 teams.
To put up the numbers Watson did and only win 4 games still amazes me.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
To put up the numbers Watson did and only win 4 games still amazes me.
I agree, that is how bad they are. So whether they trade him or not, they will be terrible. No quarterback or haul they can get back will equal what he brings. Their defense needs players at every level. Watt will probably be gone and he is still a very effective player. I dont know enough about the Lions roster but they seem to be lacking too. Hence if they trade Stafford I think they will have a top 3 pick.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Stafford is higher regarded as a game changer than Smith plus the market is flooded with QB needy teams and not a lot of top QBs available outside of Watson and perhaps Prescott but then those teams will have a QB need as well so it's going to be a sellers market.

If the Niners don't want to part with 12th overall then they can stick with Jimmy G. or pony up for Watson. They did make the Super Bowl with Jimmy G. so they could keep the 1st and hope for the best with him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Stafford is higher regarded as a game changer than Smith plus the market is flooded with QB needy teams and not a lot of top QBs available outside of Watson and perhaps Prescott but then those teams will have a QB need as well so it's going to be a sellers market.

If the Niners don't want to part with 12th overall then they can stick with Jimmy G. or pony up for Watson. They did make the Super Bowl with Jimmy G. so they could keep the 1st and hope for the best with him.

I guess one play to make is that most of the best NFC QB’s are old and getting close to retiring, but I just don’t see Stafford being a fit in that offense. Where’s all this game-changer stuff coming from? He’s got a losing record in his career, by like a lot.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I guess one play to make is that most of the best NFC QB’s are old and getting close to retiring, but I just don’t see Stafford being a fit in that offense. Where’s all this game-changer stuff coming from? He’s got a losing record in his career, by like a lot.

he can ball. not his fault the oline, defence and run game has been far below average his whole career with the exception of I believe one year of a top 10 defence.

he still has accomplished the following

NFL records

• Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 5 (tied with Ray Buivid, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson, and Daniel Jones)[210]
  • Youngest quarterback to throw for at least five touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days) (November 22, 2009 against the Cleveland Browns)[211]
  • First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)[212]
  • Most games with at least one touchdown pass in a season: 16 (2011, tied NFL record)[213]
  • Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (2011–2012, tied with Drew Brees)[214]
  • Most passing yards thrown for in a single game without a touchdown pass: (443, December 22, 2012 against the Atlanta Falcons)[215]
  • Most passing attempts in a season: 727 (2012)[216]
  • Most pass attempts per game, season: 45.44, 2012[217]
  • Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 13 (2012)[218]
  • Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 games played)[219]
  • Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 games played)[220]
  • Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 games played)[221]
  • Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 games played)[222]
  • Fastest player to reach 40,000 career passing yards (147 games played)[188]
  • Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 games played)[223]
  • Most passing yards in first 100 games (27,890) [224]
  • Most fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)
  • Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Did you see Stafford's supporting cast over the years? One of the worst running games in the league during his tenure, a garbage offensive line for the most part and a historically bad defense (literally) the last few years. Not to mention the revolving door of coaches. Remember, this is an organization that largely wasted the careers of Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson also.

Stafford has elite arm talent and he has won a bunch of games on his own (almost singlehandedly ruined the tank this season) and should have won a couple of playoff games if the Lions defense made one stop on Brees in 2011 and the refs didn't favor America's Team in 2014.

The narrative from many is that he was a very good QB stuck in a very bad situation, he also has a relatively team friendly contract for the next two years. A lot of the pundits are saying that the market will be robust for him. There will be a strong market for Stafford. It's almost a certainty that he'll return a a 1st at least. If not, then they have no reason to trade him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For SF, I don't see Jimmy re-doing his contract to help them out. Only if they give him more guaranteed money, but it might end up like the Vikings and Cousins or the Jags with Bortles and they have to keep him for another season. So, they either ride with him at $27 mill cap hit or they try to do something to upgrade. Dak is going to cost $, but no assets.

I see the best fit for Stafford in Indy. Think they will be prepared to part with the 21 OA pick plus Jacob Eason and maybe a 3rd or a day 3 pick as well. Gives the Lions a young QB who has potential. Physically gifted, save for the mobility. Below Stafford in terms of mobility, but a lot of the same physical tools as Stafford. Arm talent was regarded as better than Herbert at the combine, but Herbert had the superior mobility. Eason was expected to be more productive at UW because he had to red shirt a year there under the same offence, but he barely won the starters job in 2019.
Both Rivers and Brissett are off their books, so they have cap room to add him. Nelson and Leonard their current best players on O and D are entering year 4 of their rookie contracts. So, time to pay them is approaching. Have a RB on a rookie deal as well. So, they should make the push.

So, if SF is is not willing to outbid another team, then Stafford will get traded elsewhere. Then you just hope he lands in the AFC to one of Indy, LV, Den, Mia, NE, as opposed to the NFC with Chi, Dal, Was, LAR.

I don't buy the excuses people have given for Stafford, but I also recognize where he landed as an issue. Allen isn't the QB he is if he and Darnold swap places and Allen is on the Jets. But, after 12 years with such a bad franchise, not sure if he knows how to lead a to win in the playoffs. I think Carson Palmer could have had a better career if he got out of Cincy earlier.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He has played for one of the most inept franchises in all of pro sports for 12 seasons. I dont think their lack of success has much to do with him. I mean, they hired Matt Patricia...

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think it's pretty safe to say you haven't watched Stafford play much. Tom Brady would have a losing record if he spent the past 12 seasons playing for Detroit.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
he can ball. not his fault the oline, defence and run game has been far below average his whole career with the exception of I believe one year of a top 10 defence.

he still has accomplished the following

NFL records

• Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 5 (tied with Ray Buivid, Jameis Winston, Deshaun Watson, and Daniel Jones)[210]
  • Youngest quarterback to throw for at least five touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days) (November 22, 2009 against the Cleveland Browns)[211]
  • First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)[212]
  • Most games with at least one touchdown pass in a season: 16 (2011, tied NFL record)[213]
  • Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (2011–2012, tied with Drew Brees)[214]
  • Most passing yards thrown for in a single game without a touchdown pass: (443, December 22, 2012 against the Atlanta Falcons)[215]
  • Most passing attempts in a season: 727 (2012)[216]
  • Most pass attempts per game, season: 45.44, 2012[217]
  • Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 13 (2012)[218]
  • Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 games played)[219]
  • Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 games played)[220]
  • Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 games played)[221]
  • Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 games played)[222]
  • Fastest player to reach 40,000 career passing yards (147 games played)[188]
  • Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 games played)[223]
  • Most passing yards in first 100 games (27,890) [224]
  • Most fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)
  • Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)

Did you see Stafford's supporting cast over the years? One of the worst running games in the league during his tenure, a garbage offensive line for the most part and a historically bad defense (literally) the last few years. Not to mention the revolving door of coaches. Remember, this is an organization that largely wasted the careers of Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson also.

Stafford has elite arm talent and he has won a bunch of games on his own (almost singlehandedly ruined the tank this season) and should have won a couple of playoff games if the Lions defense made one stop on Brees in 2011 and the refs didn't favor America's Team in 2014.

The narrative from many is that he was a very good QB stuck in a very bad situation, he also has a relatively team friendly contract for the next two years. A lot of the pundits are saying that the market will be robust for him. There will be a strong market for Stafford. It's almost a certainty that he'll return a a 1st at least. If not, then they have no reason to trade him.

For SF, I don't see Jimmy re-doing his contract to help them out. Only if they give him more guaranteed money, but it might end up like the Vikings and Cousins or the Jags with Bortles and they have to keep him for another season. So, they either ride with him at $27 mill cap hit or they try to do something to upgrade. Dak is going to cost $, but no assets.

I see the best fit for Stafford in Indy. Think they will be prepared to part with the 21 OA pick plus Jacob Eason and maybe a 3rd or a day 3 pick as well. Gives the Lions a young QB who has potential. Physically gifted, save for the mobility. Below Stafford in terms of mobility, but a lot of the same physical tools as Stafford. Arm talent was regarded as better than Herbert at the combine, but Herbert had the superior mobility. Eason was expected to be more productive at UW because he had to red shirt a year there under the same offence, but he barely won the starters job in 2019.
Both Rivers and Brissett are off their books, so they have cap room to add him. Nelson and Leonard their current best players on O and D are entering year 4 of their rookie contracts. So, time to pay them is approaching. Have a RB on a rookie deal as well. So, they should make the push.

So, if SF is is not willing to outbid another team, then Stafford will get traded elsewhere. Then you just hope he lands in the AFC to one of Indy, LV, Den, Mia, NE, as opposed to the NFC with Chi, Dal, Was, LAR.

I don't buy the excuses people have given for Stafford, but I also recognize where he landed as an issue. Allen isn't the QB he is if he and Darnold swap places and Allen is on the Jets. But, after 12 years with such a bad franchise, not sure if he knows how to lead a to win in the playoffs. I think Carson Palmer could have had a better career if he got out of Cincy earlier.

He either is or isn’t a game-changing quarterback. You can’t say how he’s his monolith who did all this stuff to run up stats. Especially if you’re giving me things from 8 or 9 years ago. He’s not 26 years old, but 33 and has been beaten up. He’s 16 games under .500 for his career. And zero playoff wins.

Could a team like WFT or the Colts trade for him and have things work out and end up in a Super Bowl? Sure! That could happen! Especially in the NFC, and Colts have been pretty aggressive. But 1RD-plus for a 33-year old QB to turn yourselves into an elite team when the guy didn’t do that during an era where the NFC was wide open, it’s just not there.

2 2nds should be the max. Donovan McNabb was traded at 34 for a 2nd and 4th and had way better resume. Otherwise, I mean anyone giving up a 1st is probably a coach and brain trust desperate about their job security, so blowing a 1st and 2nd won’t be their problem to fix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad