NFL: Matthew Stafford requests trade

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Bunch of teams I could see having interest. NE, Miami, LA Rams, San Fran, and Washington. Pretty much anyone on the fence should have interest.

Shaping up to be a fun offseason with some QB movement.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Colts make the most sense in the AFC to me. You get Stafford you are still playing for the division title and a playoff run.

Patriots should avoid it. They aren’t a QB away from being back in the division hunt. Dropping Stafford on that offense full of nothing just ensures they stick in no mans land. Too good to get a top pick. Not good enough to get anywhere. They need surgery not a bandaid

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Cap would be problem but would love him in Chicago (Even as a person who was never big fan of Stafford)

He would fit the need at QB for Bears and be massive upgrade

But at end of day cap + being division foe means he will not be coming to Chicago

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can't blame him one bit. I think San Francisco and Indy will make big pushes, maybe New Orleans?

I kind of expected this when they hired an inexperienced GM who is mainly a draft guy and an inexperienced coach.

Well, Stafford is another in a long line of great talents wasted by the Lions organization and then wanting out at the end of their career. I don't know what I did in a previous life to deserve being a Lions fan, and Edmonton Oilers fan (post dynasty) for that matter.

Reactions: Cloned

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Luckily for him he'll have his pick of a few really good options.

Indy, San Francisco, New Orleans, Washington and hell even New England could be good fits

Four of those teams either remain contenders or are elevated to that status with Stafford on board. Even New England probably goes back to being a good, but not elite team with Stafford given Belichick somehow coached that dumpster fire of a roster to 7-9

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
Indy, San Francisco, New Orleans, Washington and hell even New England could be good fits

Can't blame him one bit. I think San Francisco and Indy will make big pushes, maybe New Orleans?

New Orleans is set to be $80M over the cap next season and they still have multiple players they need to sign. There are too much in cap hell to add a $22M per year contract.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unless the Saints somehow are able to make a play for Watson, they're going to be perfectly content with Winston and Hill. They've put the time in, need to save the money, and we found out this year Payton is serious about Hill being a QB.

Such as life in the NFL though. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. Stafford will likely have to redo his deal no matter what he does.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If Deshaun is traded, the Lions and Texans will be by far the two worst teams in the NFL. Not sure any other teams will be close to their ineptitude. They played each other this past season so a chance for two 0-16 teams.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why do people continually suggest Washington? Rivera and company have to believe they're more than a Matthew Stafford away from being a championship club (at least I'd like to believe that as a Washington fan). There are several holes on the club that need to be filled, they have a number of free agents that need to be re-signed and the salary cap is going down. This is not a Washington move at all. Stafford also has a lot of miles and wear and tear. He'll be moved to a club that has a better chance and window to win a championship. Washington is not that club, right now.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Steelers, Saints or Raiders would be nice. retire big ben. id jump on that bandwagon as we have wasted the last decade of his play.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Why do people continually suggest Washington? Rivera and company have to believe they're more than a Matthew Stafford away from being a championship club (at least I'd like to believe that as a Washington fan). There are several holes on the club that need to be filled, they have a number of free agents that need to be re-signed and the salary cap is going down. This is not a Washington move at all. Stafford also has a lot of miles and wear and tear. He'll be moved to a club that has a better chance and window to win a championship. Washington is not that club, right now.
Well they just hired the GM in Detroit that drafted him and they desperately need a quarterback. This also is the organization that brought in Smith who also had a bunch of injuries throughout his career. Not the most ridiculous place to think hed end up.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody getting Stafford is doing so because they think he’s the missing piece, it’s hard to see anyone thinking a 33-year old QB who has never won a playoff game doing that.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Stafford wasted his best years on a team that never had a chance of winning a championship. The only surprise is that he waited this long to ask out.

The Lions are probably about 20 decent players away from being competitive (as they always seem to be), so let's see if the incoming regime can do any better than the previous 15-20 regimes I've witnessed during my lifetime.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad